You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley (A) - Wednesday 19th May, 8:15pm

Trumo

13 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I suspect 4 points will be enough for 4th so a draw wouldn’t necessarily be the end of the world, but it would be nice if we could just cruise to victory in as stress free a manner as possible.

we don't do stress free 

On 17/05/2021 at 18:11, magicrat said:

Rather see Milner in at CB than Williams again . That said Klopp will probably agree with you . 

id rather see Ben Davis given a shot its what we brought him for could it be any worse?

13 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I suspect 4 points will be enough for 4th so a draw wouldn’t necessarily be the end of the world, but it would be nice if we could just cruise to victory in as stress free a manner as possible.

Nah fuck that a draw tonight and I think we can forget it. I’m already fuming at the thought of it 

Given the clusterfuck of the season, Im not contemplating dropping points although i realise that is one of the scenarios.

As I said last night, just win these last two games. Hopefully, we rattle in a few goals without conceeding to improve our GD over Leicester.

Hope we get this won early tonight. Be arsed watching jurgen standing on the line doing nothing while the game peters out to a nothing result again. 

Allison got him out of jail the other night. Let’s not have a repeat eh.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah fuck that a draw tonight and I think we can forget it. I’m already fuming at the thought of it 

Leicester playing Spurs on the final day with Kane obsessed by the golden boot means we’ll be in with a shout as long as we avoid losing, even though it won’t be a nice scenario.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

They say:

"The purpose of this article is not to accuse Sean Dyche, or any other coach, of prejudice against black players. Rather, the purpose is to start a discussion about factors that may affect the recruitment of black players in football, and Dyche's signings display an unusual tendency that is statistically striking but difficult to explain with data."

No, they are saying EXACTLY THAT, because they can't explain through data why he has so few black players and they obviously don't like it otherwise the article would never be written.

Do you think Dyche would turn down the likes of Mane, Trent, Virgil, Rashford, Fernandhino for example, if he was offered the chance to work with them?

Do you think he would turn down even the likes of Lingard, Calvert-Lewin or Pereira from the lower tier?

The article assumes that because its Burnley, and they haven't had a favourable rep in this area recently due to the white lives matter plane garbage, that theres some kind of a connection with Dyche. You don't sign players based on their appearance.

I think Fred, Williams, Origi, Pogba and Matt Phillips are bang average, and wouldn't want them near my first 11, does that make me a racist?

Theres a massive trend at the moment across the social spectrum, and thats what it is - a trend, to right some of the wrongs of society, but they are going about it the wrong way. I don't have the answers on how to fix it, but basically pointing the finger at everyone and shoving others out at the expense of 'righting this' is just flipping the problem 180. And articles like this are neither helpful or insightful. Thats why theres so much pushback, the public are not stupid.

He'd happily sign a Rashford (or at least a Lingard), so he can't be a racist. Of course, it just so happens that he tends not to sign players who "look like" Rashford (or Lingard). 

The point is he's a striking statistical anomaly. You haven't offered an explanation for this fact. Do you think it's inexplicable? Pure chance? 

Of course, it may be so. As may all  forms of minority underrepresentation in almost every area of socio-economic life. But the urge to question these patterns and to seek explanations for them - even where you suspect the worst - is hardly "ridiculous".

42 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

He'd happily sign a Rashford (or at least a Lingard), so he can't be a racist. Of course, it just so happens that he tends not to sign players who "look like" Rashford (or Lingard). 

The point is he's a striking statistical anomaly. You haven't offered an explanation for this fact. Do you think it's inexplicable? Pure chance? 

Of course, it may be so. As may all  forms of minority underrepresentation in almost every area of socio-economic life. But the urge to question these patterns and to seek explanations for them - even where you suspect the worst - is hardly "ridiculous".

Dwight Mcneil I think is half black. I think it's pure coincidence Burnley don't have anymore black English players at the moment. Aaron Lennon used to be there too. But besides that, if Dyche feels he can relate better to players of a certain background, I don't think there's anything wrong with that and that's his prerogative. If he doesn't want to sign any Africans, can't really force him to do it. 

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Dwight Mcneil I think is half black. I think it's pure coincidence Burnley don't have anymore black English players at the moment. Aaron Lennon used to be there too. But besides that, if Dyche feels he can relate better to players of a certain background, I don't think there's anything wrong with that and that's his prerogative. If he doesn't want to sign any Africans, can't really force him to do it. 

Who mentioned Africans? 

And it's certainly not his legal (never mind moral) perogative to discriminate against players on the basis of a certain racial background or his capacity to relate to the same. 

7 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Who mentioned Africans? 

And it's certainly not his legal (never mind moral) perogative to discriminate against players on the basis of a certain racial background or his capacity to relate to the same. 

It's just an example.

Unless he's purposefully blocking the path of black players in the Burnley academy, which to my knowledge isn't happening, he's not doing anything wrong. Not usually signing players of a certain race isn't proof of discrimination. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's just an example.

Unless he's purposefully blocking the path of black players in the Burnley academy, which to my knowledge isn't happening, he's not doing anything wrong. Not usually signing players of a certain race isn't proof of discrimination. 

It isn't proof. Nobody said it was proven. The article established the improbability of Dyche's racial transfer record. And raised questions as to how it might be explained.

As I said, it may be coincidental. But this could be said of any workplace that tends not to employ blacks - or (in your scenario) has one half-black employee and used to have another black employee.

19 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

It isn't proof. Nobody said it was proven. The article established the improbability of Dyche's racial transfer record. And raised questions as to how it might be explained.

As I said, it may be coincidental. But this could be said of any workplace that tends not to employ blacks - or (in your scenario) has one half-black employee and used to have another black employee.

I just think he wants players that can speak English well. He doesn't sign any white French, German or Russian guys either. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I just think he wants players that can speak English well. He doesn't sign any white French, German or Russian guys either. 

Plenty of blacks can speak English well. (Yes, really.) He tends not to sign such individuals. 

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

I don't think you could say black footballers are underrepresented in this country at all. Maybe 30-40 years ago there was a definite case, definitely not today.

You are just looking for something that isn't there and dare i suggest, that it is YOU that has a problem here. Jurgen is halfway down the list what does that signify? Does it mean Parker is less racist than him? See how ridiculous that sounds? What are the stats supposed to be telling us exactly?

Either way you slice it theres a hint of an attempt at smearing someone here. Footballers are brought in based on their ability, fit for the tactical setup and key attributes and cost and availability.

Its a really shit take, I wonder if he's seen it because if it was me I wouldn't be happy.

Unless the author wants to ask him outright why he isn't statistically signing black players? Doubt he would though.