You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Burnley (A) - Wednesday 19th May, 8:15pm

Trumo

This was one of our early fixtures last season, and we came away with a comprehensive 3-0 victory. Trent got the opener with a cross from deep that took a nick off a Burnley player and looped over the goalkeeper and into the far corner. The goal has since been credited to Chris Wood as an own goal, but there was less in that than rat-faced Manc Fernandes for them the other day. He gets goals given to him as well as penalties where he was the one doing the fouling. Cunt. Anyway, Sadio doubled our advantage against Burnley when they lost possession inside their own half. Bobby rolled a nicely weighted pass into Sadio in the inside left channel and the Senegalese rolled the ball into the far corner. After that, we kept Burnley at arms length and completely controlled the match. Bobby got the third after hammering a low shot past the goalkeeper from the edge of the area. As is always the case with us, we could have got more if our finishing was more ruthless and precise.

The first time we played at Turf Moor in the PL was in April 2010. We were trying to get into the top 4 after a trying season in which the loss of our midfield fulcrum Alonso to Real Madrid was compounded by his replacement spending more time in the treatment room than on the pitch. Aquilani actually got 3 assists in this match, as Stevie scored twice, Maxi opened his goalscoring account, and Babel rounded off the scoring. Burnley would be relegated at the end of the season, and they were probably the onw side we had little trouble with, winning both games 4-0. The goals are at 18:20.

Usher (not that one!) was number one in the charts with 'OMG', which was a collaboration with will.i.am. It's a dance track heavy on the old autotune, but I don't think it's bad at all. The bass drop sounds good in a club. It's certainly much better than the shit than preceded it, like Scouting For Girls, or the shit that soon followed, like Diana Vickers. I'm assuming she's shit because hovering over the Wiki link tells me she was an X-Factor contestant. The Simon Cowell production line had long been polluting the airwaves with karaoke wankers who'd been told they sound good. Incidentally, I've just noticed that 'OMG' sounds very similar to Baby D's 'Let Me Be Your Fantasy'.

We go into this Burnley game chasing down the same target as back in April 2010. We have a few more permutations in our favour this time, but we have to make them count. We also have to get Burnley back for ruining our home record back in January. They got a penalty for something we got turned down for at the other end. No matter which PGMOL slapdick is in charge of this one, with just need to be ruthless, precise and clinical, just like Leeds were at the weekend. No 'OMG' moment like Ali provided at The Hawthorns. Just get in there, grab the 3 points and get out. Make it so!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, magicrat said:

This was the toughest game for me of the last 3 .

We cannot play like we did today at the back. I'm afraid Fab is going to need go back into defence in place of Williams who is completely out of his depth. 

We should stick our best midfielder back in defence despite our current form & the stats showing that we're far better with him in midfield?

Not with you on that one & thankfully it looks like Klopp has learned from his pretty momentous error in judgement too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mook said:

We should stick our best midfielder back in defence despite our current form & the stats showing that we're far better with him in midfield?

Not with you on that one & thankfully it looks like Klopp has learned from his pretty momentous error in judgement too.

If not Fab then Gino but we cant have Williams again 

3 minutes ago, magicrat said:

If not Fab then Gino but we cant have Williams again 

I'd rather stick Mane in there than Fabinho. We've seen time & time again that playing Fabinho in the back four completely fucks our midfield.

It's like getting Jimi Hendrix in your band & forcing him to play the piano.

I agree on Williams by the way, nowhere near good enough.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I'd rather stick Mane in there than Fabinho. We've seen time & time again that playing Fabinho in the back four completely fucks our midfield.

It's like getting Jimi Hendrix in your band & forcing him to play the piano.

Given he's been dead for 50 years I think he would be delighted to be back on piano mate 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Can't afford a performance like today's. I mean get out of jail cards are being handed out like confetti but we can't rely on it. Christ we still have unbelievable players available put the shite to bed.

Better than us handing get out of jail cards to Leeds and Newcastle. 

We need Mané to sharpen up a bit and everyone else to keep their standards up. Let's avenge the 1914 FA Cup Final.  

Just get these beat, Reds. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

We should be bouncing after today, but the worry is a 3rd game in less than a week with pretty much no options to rotate as we are down to the absolute bare bones.

Milner's back and Gini played 10 minutes, so that's a fresh midfield right there.

I reckon Thiago will make way, although I don't necessarily agree that he should.

The other positions will probably stay as they were today, and for Palace, barring any injuries.

Klopp does occasionally throw Origi into the mix randomly, so that may happen.

Shaqiri, Oxlade, Keita or Tsimilas/Neco, I highly doubt will feature from the start of either game.

No joke,but we've a Greek international on the books who surely could do a job for 2 fucking games so robbo could go in centre half. He himself mentioned it in January that he was willing if needed.  Rat boy played loads of games there for united and he's fucking tiny,  and robbo has plenty of pace. 

I knew he had a shocker when he came on, but am I only the one who hasn't given up on the Power Cube? I'd like to see him in the starting line-up alongside Thiago and Fabinho as he COULD make things happen with that left peg of his and he doesn't shy away from having a shot from outside the box. Speaking of which, is shooting from outside the box verboten now? Lost count on the number of instances the players could have taken a pop seeing how deep the Baggies defended and it was late in the game when Thiago had his attempts.