You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wright: United are a much more attractive proposition than Liverpool right now

TLW

9 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I think we will do well to finish above Utd next season .  Neither of us are going to overtake City any time soon imo. 

Seriously? I really dont think united are as good as many make out.

City are clearly another proposition and yes, we'd need to be near perfect to top them.

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Seriously? I really dont think united are as good as many make out.

City are clearly another proposition and yes, we'd need to be near perfect to top them.

I think most people on here have under estimated Utd this season.  They will strengthen further in the summer.

15 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I think most people on here have under estimated Utd this season.  They will strengthen further in the summer.

I think some over estimate them with their current manager. As I keep saying, very good players will get you so far. A shit manager in charge of very good players may very well win a cup but will be found out over 38 league games.

I dont subscribe to the idea that united arent a 'top 4' side in general. Until they change the manager, I dont see them winning the title. Neither do I realistically see them bettering us at least while Jurgen's here.

Put it another way, if we hadnt had so many major injuries this season, do you think united would be ahead or behind us?

The mancs will be comfortably top four next season. They'll never be as good as Guardiola's City over the course of a season, but if you can beat all the shit teams home and away you'll always make top four. They have enough quality in their squad, and enough help from the officials and the media, that they'll win the vast majority of games against non-top-eight opposition. 12x6 = 72, pick up a couple of home wins and a couple of draws against top eight sides as well and that gets you in the top four pretty much every season.

City apart, there are no teams who’ve impressed consistently this season, and even City had an iffy start.

We will have to strengthen, as Chelsea, United, and other pretenders will definitely do, and to go another pre-season without doing so will have me believing that the owners should leave.

Problem is, City, Chelsea and United will spend more than anyone else, and as has been proved consistently recently, big spenders have the greatest successes whatever the League.

United have spent loads on dross, but eventually have got a side that, like it or not, is top four, that proves the theory that if you are able to keep throwing money at a problem, eventually it’ll be overcome.

City and Chelsea have the benefit of having decent managers too.

We have Klopp, for now, but will need to keep up spending wise with the others to give him an even chance of beating them.

There’s no chance of any of the game’s rulers bringing in meaningful financial controls so we have to deal with it as it is and maybe become more street wise in other ways.

City are going to win the league with about 86 points. They are not out of sight by any means. I love the fact we big United up, despite them barely scraping 75 points to finish 2nd. They looked shit without Mcguire last night - we've currently got 4 first choice CBs out. Pick one of them - Matip, Gomez, or VVD fit this season we finish 2nd. We are were we are because of injuries - anyone suggesting we'll struggle to finish above United next season are projecting. 

City won’t break 90 points this season. United will probably be about 3 wins better than us by the end of the season. If people don’t think that a fully strength Klopp Liverpool can’t break 90 points or make up such a small gap on United then they’ve not watched us play very much these last few years.

58 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think some over estimate them with their current manager. As I keep saying, very good players will get you so far. A shit manager in charge of very good players may very well win a cup but will be found out over 38 league games.

I dont subscribe to the idea that united arent a 'top 4' side in general. Until they change the manager, I dont see them winning the title. Neither do I realistically see them bettering us at least while Jurgen's here.

Put it another way, if we hadnt had so many major injuries this season, do you think united would be ahead or behind us?

I don't know mate . It would probably been a close call with City still comfortably ahead.  On the back of two gruelling campaigns and straight into a concertinaed season I think a) we were likely to suffer a lot of injuries and b) standards would inevitably drop. That aside Utd were getting better and the Fernandes signing was a big moment for them. 

As for next time around I think Klopp has a massive job getting this squad to get back to the force they were and very little money to strengthen. The Glazers will spend big in part to deflect criticism whilst City have a blank cheque. 

I think Chelsea might be the ones to get closest to City .   

3 hours ago, magicrat said:

I don't know mate . It would probably been a close call with City still comfortably ahead.  On the back of two gruelling campaigns and straight into a concertinaed season I think a) we were likely to suffer a lot of injuries and b) standards would inevitably drop. That aside Utd were getting better and the Fernandes signing was a big moment for them. 

As for next time around I think Klopp has a massive job getting this squad to get back to the force they were and very little money to strengthen. The Glazers will spend big in part to deflect criticism whilst City have a blank cheque. 

I think Chelsea might be the ones to get closest to City .   

Do.

Not.

Know.

This.

I think we can confidently say that without the long term injuries to Matip, Virg and Gomez and the prolonged absences of Hendo, Jota and Alisson and Thiago we could have been 4 or 5 wins better off. You expect injuries but ours have been by far worse than our competitors. We’ve basically had three seasons of shitty luck at once, I’m waiting for Mo’s legs to fall off.

I feel also there was bound to be a drop off this season because our squad has given so much in the last three seasons and had the quite deserved adulation from us, the fans, snatched away from them by COVID.

All the players have mentioned the bus tour after the CL win over Spurs and how impressed and pleased they were. They must have been thinking “what if” when they were stood on that stage in an empty Kop receiving the Title.

Most of them are relatively young men and the come down after having walked the League surely would have had a negative effect on them, particularly as they then couldn’t go home to see their families in many cases and even celebrate with them.

Added to that the injuries, VAR etc. etc. and it’s no wonder they haven’t been on their game for much of the season.

The same applies to Klopp and his staff, more so because of the passing of his Mother, and with the Euro’s this summer, there won’t be a decent break for some unless they miss out through injury.

11 hours ago, magicrat said:

I think we will do well to finish above Utd next season .  Neither of us are going to overtake City any time soon imo. 

Really?

We need to sign a CB (Kabak and/or that other bloke we've been linked with) to get our defensive solidity back.  We also need to replace Gini and get someone better than Origi (ideally a Jota in the making) to give some respite to the front three.  With a few players leaving, net spend needn't be huge, even by FSG standards. I'm confident Mané will get his mojo back. 

United aren't that great. We've just beaten them with our 5th and 6th choice CBs, ffs.  In a season in which injuries have probably cost us at least 15 point, they're likely to finish less than 10 points ahead of us. Next season will be different.  We'll shit on them.