You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Bissouma emerges as prime Wijnaldum replacement

TLW

Jurgen Klopp has identified Yves Bissouma as the player to step into the midfield role of Gini Wijnaldum according to reports.

The Dutchman is set to leave the club in the summer with no progress having been made over a new deal.

Wijnaldum has been one of the most dependable players in the Jurgen Klopp tenure, and it is clear that the manager thinks extremely highly of the 30 year-old.

But with the midfielder seemingly looking for a new challenge, Klopp is looking for a player in a similar vein and it appears Bissouma is that man.

Daily Star (via The Times) report that Klopp is a fan of Bissouma’s qualities on the pitch, but he wants to take a broader view  by investigating his character and  work out if he has the right mentality to play for the Reds.

Bissouma has been linked to a number of top clubs in the Premier League after having a very consistent season at Brighton.

While the South Coast club have virtually assured their Premier League safety for another season, it is believed Bissouma wants to test himself at a bigger club with Man City and Arsenal also interested in the 24 year-old.

image.png

In terms of his overall game, the attacking side is still a work in progress ( 2 goals/ no assists) and his passing ability is viewed generally safe rather than game-breaking.

But when it comes to doing the less fashionable, but no less important tasks such as winning back the ball for his team he is in his element averaging 2.81 tackles, 1.76 clearances and 1.72 interceptions.

While the former Lille man is not the finished article as yet, he has shown that he is prepared to work on his game.

On the face of it, the Bissouma seems to be the type of player that Klopp can develop into a well-rounded versatile midfielder.

View full article

Isn't he due to go to the ACON with Mali. 

Are we determined not to field a team in January this year. 

Mo, Mane, Keita, Bissouma

If we sign him I don't want to hear the club complaining about the squad. 

Just now, Pete said:

Why not just pay Gini what he deserves? 

Age? Sense that his demands are unreasonable from that point of view? Or that his heart lies elsewhere anyway? Or that it's time to freshen up personnel or modify style? 

I don't know. I'd rather he stayed, personally. 

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Isn't he due to go to the ACON with Mali. 

Are we determined not to field a team in January this year. 

Mo, Mane, Keita, Bissouma

If we sign him I don't want to hear the club complaining about the squad. 

I think I read that Bissouma stopped playing international footy a few years back.

He looks really good based on those highlights, something like how I thought Keita might fit in for us.  Seems to have a bit of everything about him. Every goal he scores looks special, but some in-depth wikipedia research tells me he's only ever scored four times for Brighton, so unfortunately he won't be the solution to that particular midfield problem. Definitely somebody we should be looking at, though. 

Love Gini and he was our best player by a mile up until January this season but he looks burnt. Our midfield is aging and looking slow. Thiago has no pace, Fabinho was never quick, Henderson injured a fair bit and hitting 30, Gini hitting 30, Milner is 35.

If we don't replace that midfield with quick young players this summer we are going to fall behind the other clubs quickly. We need legs in there, sign him up.

Gini has recently been hitting single figure number of passes in a half. I think a few games ago he managed to go the entire first half with 1 pass.

He puts in a good shift in the big games, but we can't afford to be carrying passengers anymore. 

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Pre fucked eye Momo was one of the most underrated midfielders I've ever seen play for us, although he was shite at passing to be fair to him.

If Bissouma is someone who regularly tackles like this and gets away with it, I'm all in.

He was one of my favourites. We had three of the best midfielders in the world and this wild as fuck Labrador puppy who would just run around causing mayhem. I bet he drove Rafa up the wall as much as he must have loved his physicality and boundless energy. 

12 hours ago, TLW said:

Jurgen Klopp has identified Yves Bissouma as the player to step into the midfield role of Gini Wijnaldum according to reports.

The Dutchman is set to leave the club in the summer with no progress having been made over a new deal.

Wijnaldum has been one of the most dependable players in the Jurgen Klopp tenure, and it is clear that the manager thinks extremely highly of the 30 year-old.

But with the midfielder seemingly looking for a new challenge, Klopp is looking for a player in a similar vein and it appears Bissouma is that man.

Daily Star (via The Times) report that Klopp is a fan of Bissouma’s qualities on the pitch, but he wants to take a broader view  by investigating his character and  work out if he has the right mentality to play for the Reds.

Bissouma has been linked to a number of top clubs in the Premier League after having a very consistent season at Brighton.

While the South Coast club have virtually assured their Premier League safety for another season, it is believed Bissouma wants to test himself at a bigger club with Man City and Arsenal also interested in the 24 year-old.

image.png

In terms of his overall game, the attacking side is still a work in progress ( 2 goals/ no assists) and his passing ability is viewed generally safe rather than game-breaking.

But when it comes to doing the less fashionable, but no less important tasks such as winning back the ball for his team he is in his element averaging 2.81 tackles, 1.76 clearances and 1.72 interceptions.

While the former Lille man is not the finished article as yet, he has shown that he is prepared to work on his game.

On the face of it, the Bissouma seems to be the type of player that Klopp can develop into a well-rounded versatile midfielder.

View full article

If Wijnaldum is off, then I don't think we should go for a direct replacement, if funds are limited. We need someone who can actually contribute some goals and assists from that position. I'm really starting to feel like it might be time to pull the trigger on Trent. At least give it a try anyway. There's no indication that's even in our thoughts though.

28 minutes ago, Chris said:

If Wijnaldum is off, then I don't think we should go for a direct replacement, if funds are limited. We need someone who can actually contribute some goals and assists from that position. I'm really starting to feel like it might be time to pull the trigger on Trent. At least give it a try anyway. There's no indication that's even in our thoughts though.

We need new athleticism in midfield arguably just as much as goals, if not more. Our midfielders didn't score much even at the height of our form. 

Henderson oft injured, Milner old, Thiago's not there for that, Jones is improving in that aspect but he'll never be a powerhouse, Keita and Ox don't play. Someone like Bissouma who has an engine and power to his game is really, really needed. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We need new athleticism in midfield arguably just as much as goals, if not more. Our midfielders didn't score much even at the height of our form. 

Henderson oft injured, Milner old, Thiago's not there for that, Jones is improving in that aspect but he'll never be a powerhouse, Keita and Ox don't play. Someone like Bissouma who has an engine and power to his game is really, really needed. 

That's fair. I just feel like with the front three/four looking a shadow of their former selves the majority of the time we're going to have to adjust a bit and find some goals from elsewhere in the team. Virg' coming back will help a bit on set-pieces, but we really need a little more creativity and end-product in the middle of the park. Hopefully Jones can kick on a bit.