You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest 70s Movie - Group 2

Bjornebye

Greatest 70s Movie - Group 2  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Two

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/05/21 at 16:42

I must have overdone it a tad this weekend. My eyes are clearly playing tricks on me due to my excesses. Obviously there is no sane world where this can be true, but I’ve managed to convince myself that I’ve just seen Rocky 2 ahead of Dog Day Afternoon in the poll. 

Say it ain’t so.. 

Rocky 2 is the 4th best in the core series, no thanks.

Enter the Dragon is the obvious choice. Went for Clockwork Orange as well, as it's a timeless (and pretty messed up) classic in a pretty dated group.

Although haven't seen Badlands, but never gotten into Malick so assuming it wouldn't bother my choices.

Edit: might be doing Annie Hall a disservice, wouldn't call it dated like the others here.

22 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Enter the Dragon is the obvious choice. Went for Clockwork Orange as well, as it's a timeless (and pretty messed up) classic in a pretty dated group.

Although haven't seen Badlands, but never gotten into Malick so assuming it wouldn't bother my choices.

Edit: might be doing Annie Hall a disservice, wouldn't call it dated like the others here.

What, in your opinion, makes Dog Day Afternoon and The Conversation dated?

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Badlands is an amazing film, I would definitely give it a go.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

What, in your opinion, makes Dog Day Afternoon and The Conversation dated?

I'd already started picking this apart, so it might be unfair if I really stop and analyse it.  Annie Hall is prob in the same boat here tbh. I'm really talking about cinematography, specifically lighting. Lumet in particular washed a lot of his films out (Network is my favourite film of his because it's the exception of the ones I've rewatched) and it became a signature style of 70s dramas. Mid shot, white/beige/brown colour palette, floodlit scenes (grainy film too). Mean streets, on the contrary, mixes it up much more with rich colourful scenes contrasting blander (visually) Charlie scenes. Separating himself from this trend is where Scorsese really became an auteur.

Harsh on the conversation if anything because how it brings you inside through shot selection and editing is masterful. But cinema followed that trend, which dampens the impact from a modern view. 

Also, none of this applies to Apocalypse Now, I'd already discounted it because I've just never loved that film. Just personal preference.

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I'd already started picking this apart, so it might be unfair if I really stop and analyse it.  Annie Hall is prob in the same boat here tbh. I'm really talking about cinematography, specifically lighting. Lumet in particular washed a lot of his films out (Network is my favourite film of his because it's the exception of the ones I've rewatched) and it became a signature style of 70s dramas. Mid shot, white/beige/brown colour palette, floodlit scenes. Mean streets, on the contrary, mixes it up much more with rich colourful scenes contrasting blander (visually) Charlie scenes.

Harsh on the conversation if anything because how it brings you inside through shot selection and editing is masterful. But cinema followed that trend, which dampens the impact from a modern view. 

Also, none of this applies to Apocalypse Now, I'd already discounted it because I've just never loved that film. Just personal preference.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

• Upvote 1