You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barnes: Signing Luis Suarez could be a smart bit of business by Liverpool  

TLW

John Barnes believes that a reunion with Luis Suarez is a idea that should be in consideration as Jurgen Klopp looks to find more attacking options ahead of the new season

The front-line has been a topic of much discussion this season with Mo Salah and Diogo Jota having to carry much of the scoring load as Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino go through considerable droughts and a general lack of confidence in front of goal.

With the advent of the Coronavirus pandemic hitting club finances extremely hard, the days of big money deals are seemingly off the table until they can find ways to boost revenue with fans returning to stadiums one key element.

When Suarez was effectively shown the door by new Barcelona manager Ronald Koeman, a return to Anfield started to be discussed in some quarters although with the way that the Reds were ticking along at the time, it was something that never was chased up through official channels.

The Uruguayan eventually signed for Atletico Madrid on a two-year contract and has been a main catalyst behind their chase for La Liga glory scoring 19 league goals in this campaign.

While he is now 34, Suarez is one of the most durable forwards of the modern era and has made no secret of his fondness for Liverpool and the fans despite being public enemy number one when the Reds defeated Barcelona in their epic Champions League semi-final tie two years ago.

Barnes is renowned as being one of the most astute thinkers of the game and he believes that there could certainly be a place for Suarez in Jurgen Klopp’s squad but all boxes would have to be ticked for it to happen.

The Mirror ( via Goal) reported Barnes as saying:

“If they could get Luis on a free transfer that’d be ideal but it’ll come down to whether Luis says he wants to play every week or he’ll be happy to move across and be part of the squad.

“But, because of his age, I don’t think he could expect to be playing every week. 

"The tricky things with these type of transfers is that you have to be pretty certain that the player in question isn’t going to upset things."

image.png

Barnes has seen Liverpool struggle through a difficult campaign and when you are not winning consistently , naturally the mood in the squad drops considerably it is hard to stay positive. 

Prior to this season, Liverpool prided themselves on staying focused until the 95th minute of games and hence the ‘Mentality Monsters’ aura was developed.  

Barnes says the squad as a whole need to refine that edge, and Suarez is the kind of player with his "never-say-die' and 'take no prisoner' attitude that would be perfect in this aspect.

Liverpool needs to recreate their team spirit and togetherness and, in order to do so, the players need to be happy with where they are and level of play. If Luis can do this, then great - get him on board.

“As a player, I think he's always given 100 per cent, and he's a decent enough character in terms of trying all the time without being disruptive. So, yeah, that wouldn't be a bad move for Liverpool.

"And I’m sure the fans would absolutely love to get Luis back and I do wonder if they may kick off if they feel that he isn’t getting enough ground time!"

While Barnes is thinking of Suarez in a hypothetical scenario, what he really feels is a pressing need is to get key defenders fit and firing and a potential wide man to add creative flair.

“Scoring goals hasn’t been Liverpool's problem this season in terms of winning matches - as they have scored plenty of goals. 

The issues have been with the defensive play. And, as we know, in order to win matches we need both to run seamlessly.  

“As with so many other teams, we always seem to focus on signing players who either score the goals or create the opportunities instead of focusing on getting the defence right and solid. And that’s Liverpool's problem! 

"So yes, to sign Raphinha would be great. But, more importantly, we need to get [Virgil] van Dijk and [Joe] Gomez back, and to then have someone creative such as Raphinha that will help us a lot; perhaps even more so than having Luis back at the team."

View full article

I stopped reading when it was suggested to be a idea. The grammar and vocabulary on this site is a ablution and really hurts its' credulity. 

23 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Does anyone else read Barnes quotes in his voice?

I attribute the great quotes to the men they belong to when I see their faces in spite of all Barnes has achieved as a player, as a man! when I see his face my mind says "isotonic Lucosade sport"

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I stopped reading when it was suggested to be a idea. The grammar and vocabulary on this site is a ablution and really hurts its' credulity. 

Speaking about grammar and inserting a misplaced apostrophe is kind of ironic,don't you think?

5 hours ago, TLW said:

John Barnes believes that a reunion with Luis Suarez is a idea that should be in consideration as Jurgen Klopp looks to find more attacking options ahead of the new season

The front-line has been a topic of much discussion this season with Mo Salah and Diogo Jota having to carry much of the scoring load as Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino go through considerable droughts and a general lack of confidence in front of goal.

With the advent of the Coronavirus pandemic hitting club finances extremely hard, the days of big money deals are seemingly off the table until they can find ways to boost revenue with fans returning to stadiums one key element.

When Suarez was effectively shown the door by new Barcelona manager Ronald Koeman, a return to Anfield started to be discussed in some quarters although with the way that the Reds were ticking along at the time, it was something that never was chased up through official channels.

The Uruguayan eventually signed for Atletico Madrid on a two-year contract and has been a main catalyst behind their chase for La Liga glory scoring 19 league goals in this campaign.

While he is now 34, Suarez is one of the most durable forwards of the modern era and has made no secret of his fondness for Liverpool and the fans despite being public enemy number one when the Reds defeated Barcelona in their epic Champions League semi-final tie two years ago.

Barnes is renowned as being one of the most astute thinkers of the game and he believes that there could certainly be a place for Suarez in Jurgen Klopp’s squad but all boxes would have to be ticked for it to happen.

The Mirror ( via Goal) reported Barnes as saying:

“If they could get Luis on a free transfer that’d be ideal but it’ll come down to whether Luis says he wants to play every week or he’ll be happy to move across and be part of the squad.

“But, because of his age, I don’t think he could expect to be playing every week. 

"The tricky things with these type of transfers is that you have to be pretty certain that the player in question isn’t going to upset things."

image.png

Barnes has seen Liverpool struggle through a difficult campaign and when you are not winning consistently , naturally the mood in the squad drops considerably it is hard to stay positive. 

Prior to this season, Liverpool prided themselves on staying focused until the 95th minute of games and hence the ‘Mentality Monsters’ aura was developed.  

Barnes says the squad as a whole need to refine that edge, and Suarez is the kind of player with his "never-say-die' and 'take no prisoner' attitude that would be perfect in this aspect.

Liverpool needs to recreate their team spirit and togetherness and, in order to do so, the players need to be happy with where they are and level of play. If Luis can do this, then great - get him on board.

“As a player, I think he's always given 100 per cent, and he's a decent enough character in terms of trying all the time without being disruptive. So, yeah, that wouldn't be a bad move for Liverpool.

"And I’m sure the fans would absolutely love to get Luis back and I do wonder if they may kick off if they feel that he isn’t getting enough ground time!"

While Barnes is thinking of Suarez in a hypothetical scenario, what he really feels is a pressing need is to get key defenders fit and firing and a potential wide man to add creative flair.

“Scoring goals hasn’t been Liverpool's problem this season in terms of winning matches - as they have scored plenty of goals. 

The issues have been with the defensive play. And, as we know, in order to win matches we need both to run seamlessly.  

“As with so many other teams, we always seem to focus on signing players who either score the goals or create the opportunities instead of focusing on getting the defence right and solid. And that’s Liverpool's problem! 

"So yes, to sign Raphinha would be great. But, more importantly, we need to get [Virgil] van Dijk and [Joe] Gomez back, and to then have someone creative such as Raphinha that will help us a lot; perhaps even more so than having Luis back at the team."

View full article

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3

Finishing has totally killed us this season even Salahs finishing has been shite at really opportune important moments but he's absolutely world class at creating opportunities, he's a Tommy gun so he doesn't need to be as clinical as other strikers do most of the time because he's a goal threat always and thats being very overly critical because he's on another level compared to most of the league regards to finishing so it's judging him by his own standard in moments. Others in the side though need to take a look at themselves because amateur players show more composure and thats not in moments it's consistently from the other two forwards too most of the midfield.

Defending as a team has been an issue though, look at Newcastle or mid season constantly getting done with the long ball over the top but we've had insane injuries at the back so there's some level of an excuse there but infront of goal absolute dogshit apart from Salah.

I dont want Suarez back, an amazing player on the wane, personally I think he's a prick and I'd rather we bought with the years ahead in mind. Our players look fucked and with a summer of football ahead too our small squad is probably going to look fucked next season too.

a ablution. It's bad grammar and is totally out of context. But do carry on. 

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Speaking about grammar and inserting a misplaced apostrophe is kind of ironic,don't you think?

281390408_tenor(1).gif.192caa53d78868b7ed1bf1742b095bb8.gif

Guest Alex_K

These articles often seem to be written in a sort of pidgin; "Many individuals associated with the game was unanimous .." being an example in the Carragher article. Bit poor. Anyway, as you were ..

3 hours ago, dave u said:

“Scoring goals hasn’t been Liverpool's problem this season in terms of winning matches - as they have scored plenty of goals. The issues have been with the defensive play."  

giphy.gif

Ha! Was scrolling through the thread to see if anyone had flagged that.

Considering we have 20 odd goals fewer than at the same stage last season, I'd have thought it was clear that scoring enough goals is certainly an issue for us this season.