You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) - Sat 8th May 2021, 8:15pm

Trumo

Last year's fixture in February 2020 saw us run out 4-0 winners. My memory of the game is hazy, but I think Southampton were more than in it for the first half at least. They had a decent shout for a penalty waved away, and we went up the other end to score through Saints old boy Ox. Hendo doubled the advantage on the hour before Mo took the game away from them with a late double. I think he had a great goal ruled out for offside too.

This fixture also features our biggest home win of the PL era. We smashed David Jones' side 7-1 in mid-January 1999. We'd been having a shit season, Evans had departed his joint manager role to leave Ged in sole charge. We lacked defensive stability, were using players like Ferri in midfield, and had want-away McManaman noticeably playing within himself, to the detriment of our attacking play. Worse still, the Mancs were having a great season. They would beat us in the last minute in the FA Cup having been 1-0 down only minutes earlier. They would repeat the trick against Bayern on that "balmy night in Barcelona" (as Tyldesley always refers to it), and they would claim the treble of league, FA Cup and Champions League.

Still, in the Saints game we displayed something like the form United had been showing themselves throughout the season. Robbie got a hat-trick, Owen claimed a goal of his own, and there were rare goals from the likes of Matteo, Thompson and Carra. You can see the goals here from 7:50 onwards.

Fatboy Slim spent a week at the top of the charts in January 1999 with the brilliant 'Praise You'. He was on fire at the time, produced a quality album in 'You've Come A Long Way, Baby' and had the then relatively unknown Spike Jonze direct and star in the music video for this song.

Most of our fans have written off this season now, but we could still do with the players putting in a performance and trying to get a big result. We haven't had that since Palace away back in December. It will have been 2 weeks since we last played as the game against the Mancs was postponed, and we normally tend to be sluggish after a long gap between gaps. We have no excuses. Of course I want us to get a win (I always do) but I also hope that if any fans choose the occasion to stage a protest against the owners and the idea of the ESL, they protest the right way and do not vandalise the stadium and/or cause a postponement like the United fans did last week. I very much doubt we'd see the same sort of lenient attitude and support that they largely have. Everyone would want the book thrown at us. No fucking stupidity please. Just make Ralph Hasenhuttl cry for the right reasons.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

What a great time for a game to start, really thinking about the fans. 

I know people aren't travelling but it completely destroys the Saturday night out, if you are going out. Also destroys the Saturday night in if your family don't like watching you swear at the Tele. 

• Upvote 1

When I looked at the run in fixtures when they were first released, I thought they were a piece of piss. But, events have conspired against us somewhat and, what should be 'easy' fixtures are now anything but.

Need to finish the season on a winning run. The boys need to shake off their torpor, stop being profligate in front of goal and take the 3 points. That is all.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

When I looked at the run in fixtures when they were first released, I thought they were a piece of piss. But, events have conspired against us somewhat and, what should be 'easy' fixtures are now anything but.

Need to finish the season on a winning run. The boys need to shake off their torpor, stop being profligate in front of goal and take the 3 points. That is all.

What looked like a leisurely-paced run-in following our CL exit has now become a two week break followed by a fixture pile-up. 

• Upvote 1

On 06/05/2021 at 10:08, Scooby Dudek said:

What a great time for a game to start, really thinking about the fans. 

I know people aren't travelling but it completely destroys the Saturday night out, if you are going out. Also destroys the Saturday night in if your family don't like watching you swear at the Tele. 

It's Sky looking after the fans. Gary Neville is Robin Hood and the Man U fans are his Merry Men.

Got 1-1 written all over it.

Not that it matters...our spineless performances going back to before end of 2020 have put us in the position we are in and we lack the balls and spine to do anything about it now.

Totally irrelevant match, might as well do some experimenting. I'd give Ox a run in Bobby's role with Jota off the left. Maybe put Curtis back in midfield with Milner, see how we cope without Wijnaldum, given he won't be here next season anyway.

Or maybe go totally nuts and put Ben Davies on the bench.

4 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Totally irrelevant match, might as well do some experimenting. I'd give Ox a run in Bobby's role with Jota off the left. Maybe put Curtis back in midfield with Milner, see how we cope without Wijnaldum, given he won't be here next season anyway.

Or maybe go totally nuts and put Ben Davies on the bench.

This is why you're not manager.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think Kabak has been playing through an injury anyway, but to have 4 players out with "knocks" after playing no games for 2 weeks is hilarious. 

Makes you wonder what the fuck is going on in training.

This whole Ben Davies thing is turning me into a conspiracy theorist. Odd that he’s injured the very game that he might actually feature out of necessity. 

Just the five centre halves out injured tonight, with one returning after being out.