You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elliott:  I can challenge for a first team spot next season

TLW

Harvey Elliott believes he can be another attacking option for Jurgen Klopp next season.

The 18-year old winger has flourished on loan at Blackburn Rovers scoring six goals while developing the creative side to his game by contributing 11 assists for the Championship side and being nominated for the EFL Young Player Of the Year award.

Despite making a few cameo appearances for the league champions last season, he knew it was best for his career path to have some regular minutes.

The Echo (via The Counter Attack Podcast) reported Elliott as saying:

“I had a few appearances here and there last season and took this loan with Blackburn, which I personally thought would be the best thing for me.

"I had a chat with Jurgen as well and he said for me to go and express myself, and that the move would be the best thing for my career and for me to get the games and experience. He said he'd support me 100%.

The Championship is well known for being one of the most physically demanding leagues in all of Europe.

Elliott has made over 40 appearances for Rovers this season which has moved his career game tally past the half century mark.

It is something which the youngster feels will put him in good stead ahead of the next step in his career

“Next season I am going to go back thinking I can get in the team. I have had this experience and feel ready, and have 50 appearances under my belt, which is a lot for a teenager."

Elliott has undoubtedly grown as a player but he knows competition for spots in the Liverpool first team will be fierce.

“I feel 100% confident I can go in and challenge. I'm looking forward to the fight and showing to people I am a different player and ready to play when called upon.

"I will need to work hard and train well and if I get my chance, I have to take it."

While Jurgen Klopp is a clear admirer of his talents, so too is Tony Mowbray with the veteran manager effusive in what he has delivered for Rovers during this campaign.

“Harvey is a wonderful talent. I don’t want to keep eulogising about him, because the statistics and his quality on the ball stand out for all to see.

“I watched him in training once and he almost scored a goal, Pearsy (Aynsley Pears) made a brilliant save, where he ran through six men and had a shot from the edge of the box, it was like the ball was stuck to his boot.

“We took him because he’s got class and we knew that he was going to help us. It didn’t matter that he was 17.

“He is a great kid, he wants to introduce himself to everyone, he’s an amazing young guy, he’s got personality so he can get tetchy. 

"We haven’t fallen out but we’ve had words on some occasions and he’s a brilliant football player.

While acknowledging the quality of his Liverpool teammates is elite, there is one player who stands out in the mind of Elliott.

image.png

“Firmino. When he is on the ball, you can't get it off him. He is a joke.

“It's a Brazilian thing. They are all technically so good, Fabinho and even Alisson whenever they are on the ball.

"Everyone has their different qualities and you can see why they are one of the best teams in the world. They have talent and skill and all work 100%.

"But when I first saw Firmino, I was just dazed watching him as what he was doing with the ball was unbelievable."

View full article

I think he'd be better on loan for another season, as I doubt he'll get much playing time here. Gives him a lot more experience and time to mature, then he can kick on with us the season after, with us hopefully gaining some semblance of form in the mean time. 

10 minutes ago, aws said:

If we buy another attacker then he'll be sixth choice for three places. We should loan him out until January and see how things stand then. 

Send Mane out on loan to Blackburn and give his place to Elliott. If it goes belly up, just swap them around and hope no-one notices.

9 hours ago, Elite said:

I think he'd be better on loan for another season, as I doubt he'll get much playing time here. Gives him a lot more experience and time to mature, then he can kick on with us the season after, with us hopefully gaining some semblance of form in the mean time. 

If we are in the Europa I'd be keeping him. No reason he can't start all them games and the league Cup etc. See how he does before sending him out again. 

• 4 months later...