You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest 60's Movie Ever - Group 3

Bjornebye

Greatest 60's Movie Ever - Group 3  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/21 at 07:12

39 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Psycho is the best film here.

I think I've only seen the original once. Gave the remake a go with Vince Vaughan not long ago and it was dreadful! I was torn between Great Escape and The Jungle Book. I originally voted for The Great Escape when nominating so stuck with that but The Jungle Book is a great film. 

44 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think I've only seen the original once. Gave the remake a go with Vince Vaughan not long ago and it was dreadful! I was torn between Great Escape and The Jungle Book. I originally voted for The Great Escape when nominating so stuck with that but The Jungle Book is a great film. 

I see Psycho as one of the most important films ever for two main reasons, one is that it helped move horror stories from supernatural to realistically plausible, the other is a masterful play with the viewers instinct to identify with characters regardless of moral implications. As if Hitchcock wanted to show us that he can manipulate us to root for anybody, because as an audience, our allegiances are fickle.

First you root for the runaway character who stole money, then there is a shock of a main characters getting killed in the first act (getting away with this would alone be enough to call it a masterpiece) then you root for the character who is trying to hide the murder to protect his mother, a twist, and  you root for his adversary, the sister of the main character against your previous "favourite". It is also impeccably paced and directed (if grim in atmosphere, which tends to put people off)  and I have only now come to mention that iconic shower scene, which is a huge bonus, cherry on the cake. But it is all about the cake here.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I see Psycho as one of the most important films ever for two main reasons, one is that it helped move horror stories from supernatural to realistically plausible, the other is a masterful play with the viewers instinct to identify with characters regardless of moral implications. As if Hitchcock wanted to show us that he can manipulate us to root for anybody, because as an audience, our allegiances are fickle.

First you root for the runaway character who stole money, then there is a shock of a main characters getting killed in the first act (getting away with this would alone be enough to call it a masterpiece) then you root for the character who is trying to hide the murder to protect his mother, a twist, and  you root for his adversary, the sister of the main character against your previous "favourite". It is also impeccably paced and directed (if grim in atmosphere, which tends to put people off)  and I have only now come to mention that iconic shower scene, which is a huge bonus, cherry on the cake. But it is all about the cake here.

3 reasons mate. Without Psycho we wouldn't have got this gif

phil-jones-psycho-small.gif