You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where will we finish?

lebron

Where will we finish?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Liverpool finishing position 20/21

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/21 at 14:45

Credit to the player and staff. At the end of March I thought 6th at best. Never should’ve doubted them.

FSG. Open the cheque book, make sure the credit card is clear and strengthen this fucking team so we never suffer such a shit season again! 

You owe us for the debacle of the ESL among other things. 

How the hell we managed 3rd.

Credit to Klopp, the staff and the players for turning a turd sandwich of a season into a more positive end.

Was dreading the implications of not getting fourth, time for FSG to strengthen like they should have last summer.

The fuckin’ mingebags 

27 minutes ago, Juniper said:

How the hell we managed 3rd.

Credit to Klopp, the staff and the players for turning a turd sandwich of a season into a more positive end.

Was dreading the implications of not getting fourth, time for FSG to strengthen like they should have last summer.

The fuckin’ mingebags 

I think you'll find credit to code. 

We've taken advantage of the sides around us dropping points to claw our way back into the top 4 and finish 3rd. It's an achievement to make up so much ground when a couple of months ago it was looking very unlikely. The mentality monsters of the previous seasons showed a glimpse that they are still around.

And yet there is a cold harsh reality to face, even taking into account our central defensive options being decimated, and even when comparing to the brilliance of last year. It's the end of the line for some players as they near the end of their contract. But for a few others it is probably time to move on and allow us to refresh the squad. There are too many bodies whom we are getting very little out of.

That's a discussion for another thread. I'm just relieved that we found some resilience and capacity to get results so that we can rest and regroup. Next season we HAVE to get ourselves back to something approaching the levels of the previous couple of years.

I never thought we were out of it, but I also never thought we would do it.

The way January to Mid-March went, terrible. But we pulled out socks up & won 6/8 (and should have won at least 1 of the others).

I’m not bouncing up and down like I have been after CL qualification in the past, but I’m absolutely made up tonight.

On 19/05/2021 at 23:10, No2 said:

I'm not Rodgers biggest fan but I do think the bottler tag is harsh. Last season they lost both fullbacks, Maddison and Ndidi for the run in, this season something similar. The position they were in was above their level to begin with so expecting them maintain that with injuries not far off what we have is unjustified. 

Do you still think 'bottler' is harsh?

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Do you still think 'bottler' is harsh?

I'm closer to it than I was last week but I still think it's harsh. The comment you are replying to had already factored in us winning and Leicester falling short so it shouldn't change a whole lot. From March onwards most of us would have faniced our chances with 3 games to go if we where within 4 points of them. The fact we were confident reflects the fact they had 3 really tough games and we had 3 we would have expected to win. 

The Newcastle game is the one that stands out as a huge chance blown but we conceded twice to them in injury time and no sane person would consider our players or managers bottlers.

Whilst scraping into top 4 is not anywhere near what we all hoped for at start of season, it is a lot better than what we feared for a long time this season.

For digging that out the players and staff deserve credit.

I just hope we learn from the mistakes we have made, the owners back Klopp (surely they know how lucky they are they have him) and we sort out the key and most pressing issues we have in squad this summer.

We also need a fucking break from this injury curse - it is ridiculous and surely has to ease and level off for us...although i feel there is something we need to look at quite urgently in our training/player well being/health areas.....recently we lost about 4 or so in a period where we hadn't had a game for two weeks!!

A more 'normal' season, hopefully fans back and time to "go again"

17 hours ago, No2 said:

I'm closer to it than I was last week but I still think it's harsh. The comment you are replying to had already factored in us winning and Leicester falling short so it shouldn't change a whole lot. From March onwards most of us would have faniced our chances with 3 games to go if we where within 4 points of them. The fact we were confident reflects the fact they had 3 really tough games and we had 3 we would have expected to win. 

The Newcastle game is the one that stands out as a huge chance blown but we conceded twice to them in injury time and no sane person would consider our players or managers bottlers.

We cant be considered bottlers because we've won stuff and actually qualified for the CL once again. Rodgers has again finished several places below where his team should have with little outside pressure. Yes he did win the FA Cup but so did Arteta last season and nobody really cares about it any more.

I don't even know who the fourth, fifth and sixth-choice CBs at other clubs are, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that any of those clubs would struggle to pick up 26 from 30 points if those were the only CBs available.

It really is an incredible achievement.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I don't even know who the fourth, fifth and sixth-choice CBs at other clubs are, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that any of those clubs would struggle to pick up 26 from 30 points if those were the only CBs available.

It really is an incredible achievement.

I found myself thinking about this the other day, so since I'm bored in a meeting I've had a look at taking away the top half's starting pair from October, then their third choice in January. In short, I don't think I'd rate the chances of any of them so much as making the top four, with the possible exception of City (and only because they signed Dias - bearing in mind he signed after the season started):

• Man City - lose Dias and Stones in October, then Laporte in January. Leaves them with Garcia and Ake as their main partnership. They'd be decent, but not running-away-with-the-title good. Without Dias, they'd be looking at a Garcia and Fernandinho partnership and that's not a title winning CB pair.
  • Man Utd - lose Maguire and Lindelof in October, then Bailly in January. Leaves them with Phil Jones and Axel Tuanzebe, or Tuanzebe and Matic if we ignore the potato-faced Duncan Edwards. Either way, they'd be miles off.
  • Chelsea - lose Rudiger and Silva in October, then Christensen in January. Leaves them with Azpilicueta and Mbuyama, and they play a back three. Miles off.
  • Leicester - lose Soyuncu and Evans in October, then Fofana in January. Leaves them with 367 year-old Wes Morgan and Daniel Amartey. They were over-reliant on Fofana in reality and finished fifth so they'd be miles off as well.
  • West Ham - lose Ogbonna and Dawson in October, then Balbuena in January. Leaves them with Frederik Alves (who?) and probably Mark Noble fitting in back there. They'd probably get relegated.
  • Tottenham - lose Aldeweireld and Dier in October, then Sanchez in January. Leaves them with Tanganga and Rodon. Not actually a bad pair of prospects but hard to see them holding down a charge for the CL places given they couldn't do it without their main players.
  • Arsenal - lose Luiz and Gabriel in October, then Pablo Mari in January. Leaves them with Holding and Chambers - and we've all seen how that pans out.
  • Everton (stop laughing at the back) - lose Mina and Keane in October, then Holgate in January. Leaves them with Godfrey and probably someone like Doucoure filling in. Probably do better than they did.

Considering we didn't have a fourth choice, and the fifth choice weakened our midfield, we've done spectacularly well in my opinion. And the rest of the league should have a fucking word with themselves.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 25/05/2021 at 07:13, VladimirIlyich said:

We cant be considered bottlers because we've won stuff and actually qualified for the CL once again. Rodgers has again finished several places below where his team should have with little outside pressure. Yes he did win the FA Cup but so did Arteta last season and nobody really cares about it any more.

I'm surprised at the easy ride Leicester - and Rodgers - have received over their latest collapse, as though they were some minnows punching above their weight. For a start, they recently won the league, so they're hardly Aston Villa or Newcastle.

They were unlucky with injuries, but not to the extent of losing their best defenders for the virtually the whole season.  

They always seem to be judged on the relatively small cost of their squad, ignoring the fact that they've done brilliantly in the transfer market to get many of those players at low prices and that the squad is worth an awful lot more now. 

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I'm surprised at the easy ride Leicester - and Rodgers - have received over their latest collapse, as though they were some minnows punching above their weight. For a start, they recently won the league, so they're hardly Aston Villa or Newcastle.

They were unlucky with injuries, but not to the extent of losing their best defenders for the virtually the whole season.  

They always seem to be judged on the relatively small cost of their squad, ignoring the fact that they've done brilliantly in the transfer market to get many of those players at low prices and that the squad is worth an awful lot more now. 

At the start of the season they would have been grouped with Everton,  Arsenal and maybe Wolves as a club that could finish 6th. Anything beyond that was above expectations, to finish 5th and win the FA Cup with the injuries they had is well above par for them. Just like winning the league in 2014 would have been perceived a miracle in August 2013, starting brilliantly but  dropping off doesn't make it a failure. 

Just now, No2 said:

At the start of the season they would have been grouped with Everton,  Arsenal and maybe Wolves as a club that could finish 6th. Anything beyond that was above expectations, to finish 5th and win the FA Cup with the injuries they had is well above par for them. Just like winning the league in 2014 would have been perceived a miracle in August 2013, starting brilliantly but  dropping off doesn't make it a failure. 

Disagree with that, broheim. I would have had them marked as fighting for a top four spot at the start of the season. Much, much better squad than the three other sides you name. They even had a head start with Lampard being in charge of a rival for most the season, not to mention us breaking all of the wrong records. 

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Disagree with that, broheim. I would have had them marked as fighting for a top four spot at the start of the season. Much, much better squad than the three other sides you name. They even had a head start with Lampard being in charge of a rival for most the season, not to mention us breaking all of the wrong records. 

That's after the event, everyone had City and ourselves as the top 2, Chelsea as 3rd with an outside shot at 1st depending on the new signings settled. That left Utd and Spurs in a battle for 4th, you could include Leicester in that fight but as massive outsiders.

As per below they're were 7 clubs the bookies expected to finish above them and they some how omitted the October champions too.

Premier League top four odds

• 4/11 - Man Utd
  • 8/13 - Chelsea
  • 11/4 - Tottenham
  • 3/1 - Arsenal
  • 13/2 - Wolves
  • 7/1 - Leicester