You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where will we finish?

lebron

Where will we finish?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Liverpool finishing position 20/21

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/21 at 14:45

3 hours ago, an tha said:

Chelsea v Leicester is a game that worries me.

Chelsea could be safely in top 4 by then and with big finals to come they won't be busting a gut/putting out a strong side

Their 2nd side is something like:

Kepa

Christiansen Zouma Emerson

Hudson-Odoi Gilmour Kovacic Alonso

Ziyech Pulisic

Giroud.

That 11 could easily beat Leicester. 

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Well Maguire's not fit for the visit of Leicester so that will mean the gimp will selected a stronger defence for that game!

He will play close enough to the B team v Leicester surely. Something like:

De Gea

Williams Lindelof Bailly Telles

Matic Van de Beek

Diallo Mata James

Cavani

Cunts

We’ll finish 5th and play in the Europa next year. I’m okay with that. I’d like to see our younger and fringe players given more of a run in easier games, and the issue with the CL is if we play our 2nd team we will most likely get beat. I’d like to see the below for example against the shitter sides in the EL.

4-4-1-1 setup.

Kelleher

N, Williams

Kabak

Konate (Matip)

Tsimikas

Milner

Keita
Jones

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Elliott

Firmino

15 minutes ago, Razoray said:

De Gea

Matic Van de Beek

Diallo Mata James

Cavani

Cunts

Be some flak for that if it backfires - they can still win title (albeit a long, long shot) and to snuff out that hope with a weakened team wouldn't go down well IMO.

I make you right though.

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We’ll finish 5th and play in the Europa next year. I’m okay with that. I’d like to see our younger and fringe players given more of a run in easier games, and the issue with the CL is if we play our 2nd team we will most likely get beat. I’d like to see the below for example against the shitter sides in the EL.

4-4-1-1 setup.

Kelleher

N, Williams

Kabak

Konate (Matip)

Tsimikas

Milner

Keita
Jones

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Elliott

Firmino

That’s how I’d like to see us approach the europa league as well.

I can see klopp going for it like he did in his first year with us.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Mark M said:

That’s how I’d like to see us approach the europa league as well.

I can see klopp going for it like he did in his first year with us.

Yep, I fear we'll be too honest in our approach to it, with an inevitable effect on our domestic chances.  

On 02/05/2021 at 09:11, lebron said:

Some right negative fannies om the forum these days.

I still believe in Klopp and the boys, and also believe Rodgers will find a way to mess up.

4th for me.

Chelsea (Pts 64, GD +23)
12th May: Arsenal (h)
18th May: Leicester City (h)
23rd May: Aston Villa (a)

Probably too far gone already. Not impossible if we can win against Utd, but realistically I think our best hope now is that Chelsea win against Leicester on the 18th... Need two wins to be safe from us/Leicester.

Leicester City (Pts 63, GD +20)
11th May: Manchester United (a)
18th May: Chelsea (a)
23rd May: Tottenham Hotspur (h)

Should have been a REALLY tough trio of fixtures. Unfortunately the scheduling might help Leicester a bit more than us... I think they'll get max 4 more pts. Need two wins and a draw to be certain to secure CL.

West Ham United (Pts 58, GD +10)
15th May: Brighton & Hove Albion (a)
19th May: West Bromwich Albion (a)
23rd May: Southampton (h)
West Ham could still find a way if us and the others mess up. Three very winnable games. Let's hope Brighton go out of their way to mathematically secure a new season in the PL.

Us (Pts 57, GD +18)
13th May: Manchester United (a)
16th May: West Bromwich Albion (a)
19th May: Burnley (a)
23rd May: Crystal Palace (h)

If we win all four, I think we are through. Can still be done with 3 wins and a draw, and even 3 wins MIGHT do it. Would require Leicester to only pick up 3 more points though.

I reckon we have at least a 50 per cent chance still (the bookies are slightly under btw), as in my thread-creating post I still believe Leicester will find a way to collapse. An injury to one of Ihenacho or Vardy will sink them. Evans being out is a huge blow for them.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Razoray said:

De Gea

Matic Van de Beek

Diallo Mata James

Cavani

Cunts

Cavani won’t play. He’ll need to fit against us.

Same with Lindelof & Bailly.

I reckon there is more chance of a few u18s starting.

I see Peace saying Kabak won’t be available today. 

I just can’t see Phillips and Williams being enough. 

I’d assume Fabinho at the back again. Ox or Jones will likely have to play in midfield. 

Keep it tight and try and hit them late when their legs are heavy.

19 hours ago, aRdja said:

4-4-1-1 setup.

Kelleher

N, Williams

Kabak

Konate (Matip)

Tsimikas

Milner

Keita
Jones

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Elliott

Firmino

I know we’ve been spoilt the last few season and I’ve enjoyed a few rides in the UEFA Cup (2001, 2010, 2016) but I can’t lie, I’d rather it be Champions League or nothing. 

The final next year is in Seville. Unless the stadium has been knocked down and rebuilt from scratch since I was there in late 2017, that ground is not fit to hold a European Final in any way, shape or form.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I know we’ve been spoilt the last few season and I’ve enjoyed a few rides in the UEFA Cup (2001, 2010, 2016) but I can’t lie, I’d rather it be Champions League or nothing. 

The final next year is in Seville. Unless the stadium has been knocked down and rebuilt from scratch since I was there in late 2017, that ground is not fit to hold a European Final in any way, shape or form.

Our co-efficient gets hammered if we don't have any european football.

Our blank 2016/17 season is about to drop off at last and as a result we will jump up  - we don't want to be adding another blank on that sticks with us for 4/5 years.

Thst blank season in 2016/17 sees us despite winning the european cup and being runners up in last few seasons currently ranked below the likes of Man Utd, Juventus and Atletico.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2021

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

They have a shiny new stadium in Seville. I believe they have a hotel attached where you can watch the game from your bed.

The problem with the postponed game is it removed the prospect of us choosing to finish 8th or 9th once 4th was gone. I guess the Leicester result would have dragged us back in regardless. That win against Southampton probably means we will finish top 6 regardless. 

7 hours ago, an tha said:

Our co-efficient gets hammered if we don't have any european football.

Our blank 2016/17 season is about to drop off at last and as a result we will jump up  - we don't want to be adding another blank on that sticks with us for 4/5 years.

Thst blank season in 2016/17 sees us despite winning the european cup and being runners up in last few seasons currently ranked below the likes of Man Utd, Juventus and Atletico.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2021

Without wanting to sound rude, I couldn’t be less interested.

We were ranked the best side in Europe under Benitez but never got a trophy for it! 

Given they’ve changed the CL seedlings, what does this mean now? Is it we could just be put in pot 3 instead of pot 2? 

7 hours ago, No2 said:

They have a shiny new stadium in Seville. I believe they have a hotel attached where you can watch the game from your bed.

I think that is Betis. The crumbling old shitty Sevilla stadium is listed as the venue.

57 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

We were ranked the best side in Europe under Benitez but never got a trophy for it! 

Given they’ve changed the CL seedlings, what does this mean now? Is it we could just be put in pot 3 instead of pot 2? 

skysports-carragher-gerrard_4937077.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Yep, I fear we'll be too honest in our approach to it, with an inevitable effect on our domestic chances.  

Can't see why we can't do both , use the younger and fringe players in the group and then reassess when it resumes in the new year.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

We were ranked #1 in like 2008 or 2009 under Benitez. 

We weren’t even the best side on Merseyside when we won that! Which shows how much the UEFA rankings mean. 

Yeah but 2005 was used as the springboard to get to no.1. But yeah you're right, UEFA coefficient is shit. Get rid and have non seeded groups, imagine a group of RM, Bayern, us and Juve. That would be amazing.

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I am not 100% sure of the finer detail, but i think it is safe to say that the higher your ranking the more you will benefit from it - whether it is higher pot, easier draw by being seeded or advantage of home leg 2nd etc etc...

It can't hurt can it...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I am not 100% sure of the finer detail, but i think it is safe to say that the higher your ranking the more you will benefit from it - whether it is higher pot, easier draw by being seeded or advantage of home leg 2nd etc etc...

It can't hurt can it...

Also the possibility of snaffling one of the extra two CL spaces if we finish outside top four next season. 

• Upvote 1

On 09/05/2021 at 22:51, Razoray said:

De Gea

Matic Van de Beek

Diallo Mata James

Cavani

Cunts

9 out of 12 correct. 

8 of the players correct and I was also right when I said that they are pure Cunts

At this point, top 4 is looking unlikely. We've taken an absolute kicking this season with form, fitness and fortune, and it now requires the players to at least show some fight rather than phone in their performances in our remaining games. It's pride that is at stake.

The odd thing (or not, if you follow baseball) is that FSG have seen this sort of thing with the Red Sox. They've won the World Series more times than any other team in the 20 years that FSG have owned them, but their defence of their crown has always been hit with the same sort of issues we've seen here this season. Sometimes it has got as bad as it can get. The Red Sox won it all in 2018 with their best winning record ever, only to serve up a stinker of a season a year later and finish bottom of their division.

In baseball, the weakest sides get first pick in the draft so they can pick up some real quality prospects and rebuild their side over the next couple of years. The 'winningest' sides don't have it all their own way so they can't blow the rest away even further with lavish spending and hoovering up the best talent. It's a peculiarity of American sports that is designed to maintain healthy competition and collective strength in a society and economy that is all about creating a bigger gap between the haves and the have nots, grabbing what you can no matter who you trample over in the process.

In football, it doesn't work like that. If you stand still or fall away, it gets harder and harder to clamber your way back to the top. The best can get even better, get richer and continue getting the best players.

This is the first time FSG are facing that at Liverpool after becoming the best team around.

• Upvote 1