You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Vietnam War Thread

Bjornebye

Hearts and minds is worth a watch, you can get it on YouTube. 
It caused a lot of bother at the time. Yanks refused to distribute it. 

It didn’t go down well  when it won an Oscar for best documentary. 

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

How come you moved there mate? Sounds like a big decision to make 

No choice at the moment! I first came over here 3 years ago to take advantage  of cheap dentistry (in a surgery light years ahead of any I'd seen in northern NSW) and fell in love with the place. I made a few more trips traveling all around the country when I was asked buy some friends if I would talk to a class of small children. I absolutely loved it and came back to do some more. I went back for Christmas 2019 and came back to Vietnam about 2 weeks before covid. Unless I stump up about 10000 quid to return to Australia I'm pretty much stuck here. I would have to get permission from the Australian government anyway which would put me at about 40001 in the queue to return which the present rate would see me returning in about 2025. Fortunately I really love Vietnam and I spend most of my time helping poor kids in some of the small country towns around here with reading and speaking English. The most enjoyable and rewarding thing I've ever done.

View from the classroom

IMG_20191109_091323.jpg

IMG_20201004_125351.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 17

4 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

No choice at the moment! I first came over here 3 years ago to take advantage  of cheap dentistry (in a surgery light years ahead of any I'd seen in northern NSW) and fell in love with the place. I made a few more trips traveling all around the country when I was asked buy some friends if I would talk to a class of small children. I absolutely loved it and came back to do some more. I went back for Christmas 2019 and came back to Vietnam about 2 weeks before covid. Unless I stump up about 10000 quid to return to Australia I'm pretty much stuck here. I would have to get permission from the Australian government anyway which would put me at about 40001 in the queue to return which the present rate would see me returning in about 2025. Fortunately I really love Vietnam and I spend most of my time helping poor kids in some of the small country towns around here with reading and speaking English. The most enjoyable and rewarding thing I've ever done.

View from the classroom

IMG_20191109_091323.jpg

IMG_20201004_125351.jpg

Wow, what a story.

Good job you enjoy it there.

Very rewarding to the heart and mind I would think?

Strange how Covid affects people in different ways,

I suppose the most important question is, do the markets have everton shirts?

Keep up the good work mate.

20 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Wow, what a story.

Good job you enjoy it there.

Very rewarding to the heart and mind I would think?

Strange how Covid affects people in different ways,

I suppose the most important question is, do the markets have everton shirts?

Keep up the good work mate.

Lots of Man City, Ckelski, Barca, PSG, Man U, some LFC (encouraged by me). One little village, all the kids had Roma kits. Fortunately, I haven't seen any Everton gear.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

View from the classroom

IMG_20191109_091323.jpg

IMG_20201004_125351.jpg

Got the makings of a book and Netflix series that mate! 

On 01/05/2021 at 05:28, Evelyn Tentions said:

The last photo is the Mother monument in what is currently my hometown, Tam Ky. 

It's hard not to look to blame someone or something for a war. Should we not blame France? They get off relatively unscathed in the discourse despite being arguably THE nation that started it ALL. As if taking over in 1884 weren't enough, they went BACK in post-WW2. Like they have no idea what it's like to be occupied by another country eh? Twats. And China. Without their support, etc. etc. There were many facets to the conflict and although I get the sentiment of "murdering cunts", it's too easy to scapegoat the US soldiers. There is a direct connection between the McCarthyite witch-hunt of the reds in the beds and staging here the battleground of communism vs capitalism.

There can be no doubt the victims in this were the Vietnamese people. 

Mr rb14 and I love Vietnam. We go there a lot. 

IMG_20200307_133203.jpg

IMG_20200307_132621.jpg

IMG_20191209_055036_MP.jpg

IMAG3342.jpg

IMAG3345.jpg

IMAG3348.jpg

IMAG3349.jpg

On 30/04/2021 at 21:09, Captain Turdseye said:

The filmmaker who did that series has also done a WW2 series and one about the American Civil War. They’re really good too. 

They are, Vietnam was terrific I thought. I'm not sure what it was called but the one about the Dustbowl was good along with Country Music and the ones you mentioned. 

The Civil War was my bedtime show every night for at least two months. It’s really, really fucking interesting but there was something about the gentle music and the narrators voice that would put me to sleep within ten minutes. I’d put it on again the next night, forget where I was up to, go back a little bit and watch a couple of minutes I’d already seen, a few minutes I hadn’t and then... zzzzz. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The Civil War was my bedtime show every night for at least two months. It’s really, really fucking interesting but there was something about the gentle music and the narrators voice that would put me to sleep within ten minutes. I’d put it on again the next night, forget where I was up to, go back a little bit and watch a couple of minutes I’d already seen, a few minutes I hadn’t and then... zzzzz. 

The Bob Ross of war docs.

46 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I did that a few years back with LOTR. 

Loved the films but was putting on when I got in after a night shift. 3 days later and I hadn't seen anything past the opening scene of how they cut the ring from Saurons hand

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Just started watching some interviews with Vietnam veterans on youtube under the Billings Gazette videos. Very interesting interviews too. Seen some WW2 ones also lately.

Just had a quick look. 

Don't want to shit on anyone that's been in a war zone but the title of one made me laugh 

I served 22 years and survived a war. 

Gulf War 1 veteran.... 

Nearly 1 million allied men went to war(700,000 US, 146 deaths) , 272(92 from Senegal and 6 from Kuwait in a air accident) died. The death toll was nearly 50% from non enemy actions. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 30/04/2021 at 19:50, rb14 said:

The Vietnam War series of ten one-hour episodes was some of the most compelling, educational, brilliant, horrifying, upsetting and deeply emotional TV I've ever had the privilege to watch. I'm sure you lot will know how to download it, but it's on Amazon Prime and well worthy of your money. 

Was that the Ken Burns documentary? If so that was great viewing. 

How many Viet Nam veterans does it take to change a lightbulb?

You don't know man. You weren't there.

Always bored the shit out of me Nam, bunch of teenagers on smack wandering around the woods tripping grenades and burning down villages, not an aircraft carrier of Tiger tank in sight. 

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

How many Viet Nam veterans does it take to change a lightbulb?

You don't know man. You weren't there.

Always bored the shit out of me Nam, bunch of teenagers on smack wandering around the woods tripping grenades and burning down villages, not an aircraft carrier of Tiger tank in sight. 

I think you missed the whole point. It changed the US public's whole perception of its government and radicalised its own citizens for probably the first time ever. It also showed the world how fucked up US foreign policy is and that scepticism has continued until today. In terms of the military side of it,that showed that having the biggest and fanciest weapons means little without a motivated and dedicated army who are willing to sacrifice their lives to succeed. A seriously fucked up episode in US history of which the ramifications still exist.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think you missed the whole point. It changed the US public's whole perception of its government and radicalised its own citizens for probably the first time ever. It also showed the world how fucked up US foreign policy is and that scepticism has continued until today. In terms of the military side of it,that showed that having the biggest and fanciest weapons means little without a motivated and dedicated army who are willing to sacrifice their lives to succeed. A seriously fucked up episode in US history of which the ramifications still exist.

Yeah but as wars go it was boring. As was the first world war. Sat in ditches for years and playing footy at Christmas.