You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Vietnam War Thread

Bjornebye

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Second world war: Midway, Germans with American accents, rockets, formation of the SAS, heavy water, Spitfires, King Tigers.

Nam: kids getting napalmed.

Not for me Clive.

I see what you're saying but kids getting atom bombs dropped on them..... 

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Second world war: Midway, Germans with American accents, rockets, formation of the SAS, heavy water, Spitfires, King Tigers.

Nam: kids getting napalmed.

Not for me Clive.

You don't know. You weren't there man.

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 02/05/2021 at 21:00, Lee909 said:

Ken Burns makes them documentaries

He's done loads. 

Next up Hemingway, Muhammad Ali and Benjamin Franklin

Who'd have thought that a barely legible Scottish striker come centre half could make such thought provoking documentaries. Next,Brian Clough remembers Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From Hamilton Gregory - McNamara’s Folly The Use of Low-IQ Troops in the Vietnam War plus The Induction of Unfit Men, Criminals, and Misfits

aka McNamaras morons, Project 100000

Not only were low-quality enlisted men sent to Vietnam, said Westmoreland, but low-quality officers as well. He cited Lieutenant William Calley, convicted in the murder of more than 100 unarmed civilians in the My Lai Massacre in 1968. According to Arnold R. Isaacs, the Vietnam war correspondent for the Baltimore Sun, Calley “flunked out of Palm Beach Junior College with two C’s, a D, and four F’s in his first year and reportedly managed to get through officer candidate school without even learning to read a map or use a compass.”  Marine Corps Colonel Robert D. Heinl said the Army had to take Calley “because no one else was available.”  His own attorney used Calley’s low intelligence as a courtroom defense: the Army, he said, was to blame for My Lai because if it hadn’t lowered mental standards, men like Calley never would have been commissioned. Richard A. Gabriel, who spent 22 years as a U.S. Army officer, says, “Even the staunchest defenders of the Army agree that in normal times a man of Lieutenant Calley’s intelligence and predispositions would never have been allowed to hold a commission.”

My Lai was a unit running amok on a single day. For war crimes committed over a long period, the CIA and MACV ran the Phoenix programme 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Program

Tiger force also made Calleys mob look like small fry. These cunts were sanctioned by the brass

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Force

• Upvote 1