You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New TV

RedKnight

Quite fancy buying a new TV for the living room, it's been a while since my last one since it's been a real warhorse.

Can't decide between these two:-

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/panasonic-tx55hz1000b.html

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/sony-bravia-ke55a8bu.html

Anyone got any advice? Samsung are out at this price range because that's their 2020 panels which have problems with juddering and shit.

Gonna go to Richer Sounds and take a look at them in the wild too but if anyone has any experience to add that would be sound.

Been looking myself mate and if I was getting an OLED i'd personally go for the LG CX which is in the same bracket as those you posted above in terms of budget (and you also get some free wireless ear buds as well from Richer Sounds).

You game don't you? The LG is apparently amazing for gaming.

I think it depends on the model you get. I've got the Samsung KS8000 in my living room and it's great. The only reason i'm looking to upgrade is because the TV in the kitchen isn't 4K and is over 10 years old now.

As soon as Sky release the mini boxes in 4k (rumoured to be this year) i'll pull the trigger I think.

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

Been looking myself mate and if I was getting an OLED i'd personally go for the LG CX which is in the same bracket as those you posted above in terms of budget (and you also get some free wireless ear buds as well from Richer Sounds).

You game don't you? The LG is apparently amazing for gaming.

Going to go to Richer Sounds this week and have a look at them and the CX is there so I'll add it on. I know that Sony and Panasonic both use LG panels.

They both have great reviews and feedback on AV Forum and my current TV is Panasonic and has been terrific. Genuinely torn.

I always go the techradar website as I find their reviews really helpful and unbiased. They also cover all aspects, sound, gaming, interface etc and not just picture quality.

Currently have a LG, but was Panasonic for years previously to that. No issues with either.

If I remember despite then all using LG panels I believe Sony actually do better for picture quality. 

22 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Going to go to Richer Sounds this week and have a look at them and the CX is there so I'll add it on. I know that Sony and Panasonic both use LG panels.

They both have great reviews and feedback on AV Forum and my current TV is Panasonic and has been terrific. Genuinely torn.

CX / GX are excellent. We bought a 65" LG GX because no season tickets, we actually were going to buy the CX but ended up with the GX.

It's basically the same telly, with a slimmer profile, comes with its own bracket so more flush when on wall and I think I different remote. Managed to have the guy give me some of their stupidly priced cables with it in Currys which I then proceeded to ask for a refund for, ended up only paying £50 extra than the CX. Since it was going on a wall anyways made sense.

I was not convinced about LG initially when I was reserching, Samsung were never really in running this time because OLED's pic quality just looked so much more sharper. The LG had a few extra features over Sony, wich I knew we would make use of (Gsync).

As well as usuall stuff runing to it also a PC with a GTX 3090 and Gsync enabled making it a 65" inch OLED gaming monitor that can run 4k @ 120hz. At some point wll also get arround to buying a PS5 and have that attached too. Hav zero regrettes about it as it is fucking brilliant.

Went to Richer Sounds today. Both looked great, difficult to choose between them, but further research seems to point to the Panasonic for what I need.

There's a bit of brand loyalty in there for me too, my current TV is Panasonic and, as mentioned above, it's been a terrific servant.

We had an LG OLED which developed screen burn within 2 years. This isn't covered by the manufacturers or the extended warranties supplied by the retailers, Richer Sounds included.

The news strap on Sky News and Sky Sports news were the culprits.

We ended up with a Samsung  QLED which picture quality wise isn't in the same league as the LG and Samsung don't support Dolby Vision but they guarantee against screen burn for 10 years on the QLED's.

4 hours ago, Paul said:

I’m also considering a new telly and also have a long-serving Panasonic. I reckon I’m going to go for an LG OLED though. They consistently top all the Which? tests. 

The picture is superb on them but it's a case of once bitten twice shy for me.

8 hours ago, Paul said:

I’m also considering a new telly and also have a long-serving Panasonic. I reckon I’m going to go for an LG OLED though. They consistently top all the Which? tests. 

Not just Witch other places consistenmtly have it top also, having owned its bigger brother the GX I can 100% see why. If it is to be wall mounted check out the GX, as I said I managed to get a deal on it that brought it more in-line price wise with the CX, it comes with a special wall mount that quite often places have free fitting, we didnt want to wait so did outsleves. It looks very neat on the wall, as we wanted to keep as much floor space for VR the GX just ticked every box for us.

Screen burn was something we looked in to and ofc is a potential problem with any OLED, since Sony use LG pannels it is a similar risk for both (unless that has changed in last year or so?). Lg have actually a few things on the TV's now to help stop screen burn now, a forced pixel refresh that we do once per week as well as the obvious screen saver modes etc. However this is something only time will tell I guess.

When I upgrade my PC screen either this year or next it will prob be another LG tv OLED it is that good, provided ofc it still have GSync. The GX has completly turned me around from not being convinced to the point they will 100% be in the running for next purchase.

Arrived earlier, set it up (which required me plugging my AV receiver into it) but haven't played around with the settings yet.

Out of the box it looks fantastic. Tested the Empire Strikes Back and Avengers: Endgame and the movement and colours were incredible. I can see why it's rated highly for movies, the blacks on Thanos' ship at the start of Infinity War were vivid. I don't mount TVs on walls so it's swivel stand is a huge bonus.

20 hours ago, Paul said:

Reckon I’m going to go borderline Tory with mine when I get round to it. Looking at 65” screens!

(Not 70”, though; that’d be ridiculous.)

We have a 65" so get to fuck with that tory nonsense, this isn't the GF!

We did actually have a quick look at the 75 but decided that would be a bit extravagant.

I got my telly and soundbar mounted a few months ago and it looks fucking boss now. I want a 65 inches now though so all of this is tempting me. I also need to buy a PC though and that's a bit more pressing so i'll probably have to wait until next year for the bigger telly.

• 1 month later...