You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We Need a New Striker - Who?

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If we have a better wide player in mind, we should for sure do that instead of a 9. You always get the better player not the perceived "need". Jota or Salah could just play in the middle. 

Yeah, I'm not sold on Salah in the middle. I actually can't remember a game where we've created lots of chances with him in that position. It messes with our whole team balance. It also makes us even weaker in the air up front than we are now.

I think we either continue as is, or revamp our entire playing style, front to back. Seeing as the latter is practically impossible both financially and logistics-wise, my money is on that we're sticking with the former

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You always get the better player not the perceived "need".

This is NBA draft logic, not really applicable to the transfer of professional football players. Not least because we aren't spending a single pick in an either/or situation.

These calls for Daka need to stop IMO. Austrian first division is in all probability not even Championship standard. Let him move to Southampton or Newcastle and see how he does. If he’s any good then we’ll happily pay the premium. 

30 minutes ago, aRdja said:

These calls for Daka need to stop IMO. Austrian first division is in all probability not even Championship standard. Let him move to Southampton or Newcastle and see how he does. If he’s any good then we’ll happily pay the premium. 

It's where Haaland was playing until last season.

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

We all know there’s only one Patty for you. Given that these players are always at a premium I wouldn’t be surprised to see us take a gamble on a player further back in his development than we’ve come accustomed to these last few years. It’s not like we can sign 3 £60m players a season like City.

7 hours ago, Pidge said:

This is NBA draft logic, not really applicable to the transfer of professional football players. Not least because we aren't spending a single pick in an either/or situation.

That's what it's based on yes, but I'm not saying don't buy a defender if a better forward is available, I'm saying if the #9's are not inspiring and there are better wide forwards out there, then do that instead. It's the same position group, an attacking player.

I just don’t think there are many great "pure 9's" out there. We shouldn’t just buy one cause people think we need one. We need goals, buy whatever forward player will provide that the most.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's what it's based on yes, but I'm not saying don't buy a defender if a better forward is available, I'm saying if the #9's are not inspiring and there are better wide forwards out there, then do that instead. It's the same position group, an attacking player.

I just don’t think there are many great "pure 9's" out there. We shouldn’t just buy one cause people think we need one. We need goals, buy whatever forward player will provide that the most.

Fair enough and this is partly why I mentioned an ageing Giroud, getting a senior pro who can lead the line when needed could well be a worthwhile investment if we're waiting to see how other options develop.

Edit: and yes, Luis might fit the bill as well.

22 hours ago, lebron said:

Seeing as his most recent, recordbreaking successes (with us) has been built on a system playing without one, I'd put that down as a firm(i)NO...

Klopp's "high octane football" has had several tweaks during the Dortmund and Liverpool days, but winning the ball back high up the pitch has been (from what I've seen and read) close to the top of the list of common themes. To do so he's mostly deployed a 4-3-3 formation (almost exclusively with us). Since the plan is to win the ball high up the pitch, the 3 at the front of this formation MUST be good pressers of the ball (It's why I never understood why we signed a new contract with Origi, as he's among the worst in the squad at it, and similarly why I fancied Jota to be a success for us, as it's something he excels at). In his time here, Firmino has one of the first names on the teamsheet, and in my view, this is just as much because of his defensive qualities as his attacking qualities. Having played centreback himself (up till the age of 19 I believe), Bobby's instincts of getting the ball off a defender are better than most other forward players. At his best, I think there's probably only Lewandowski Klopp would have possibly traded Bobby for. I strongly believe we will continue to play a 4-3-3 in the future with Klopp, as that is the best way of blocking the opposition's passing lanes (and winning the ball back)

Another reason why Firmino is still starting; As long as we play with quick, inverted wingers (since Salah's arrival), our CF MUST be just as adept with his back to goal as with his face towards it (perhaps even more). Why? To drag the defenders towards our goal, creating space for the wingers to run in behind, or play short one-twos with the wingers and/or one of the MFs supporting the attack. To create space in football, the one constant is to have runs in opposite (or near opposite) directions. It's why it nearly always fails when managers just throws every attacker on the pitch when they want to chase goals. They just end up running the same lanes and everybody wants to attack a space that's not really there. Granted, if you lump a couple big CF's (or someone like Fellaini) in and create chaos with crosses, you might fluke a goal here and there. Having that as the main source for goals (like Mourinho's Utd team a few seasons back), no thank you.

I think we stick with what we've got. Getting crowds and our superfast CB's back (and hopefully a pre-season will cure the tiredness of the midfield as well) will solve a lot of the problems we're facing at the minute. If intensity is going to be our identity in the close future as well, I can't see Klopp doing major upheavals of what he's preached in the past 5 years.

Excellent post, good description of one of the basic ideas behind our setup. 

The people who think we just need to sign another player like Jota or Salah and our problem is solved should read it carefully.

That said I definately think Bobby has dropped below standard over a period of time now, and we need to strengthen that position. But we need either to change a few of our basic principles or look for a player that can do the job Bobby used to do so well. Just sticking Salah, Jota or Mane in the middle and get in another good wide player wont work.

13 hours ago, Crazy Dave said:

Being linked to Jonathan David at Lille again.

Apparently we were considering him last summer too.

More of a Bobby type player than a Mo or Sadio. 

A Canadian playing in Ligue 1. 3 Stacks would be all over this guy.

His playing style is more like Welbeck than Bobby from this compo.