You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

European Qualifications 2021/22

Lee909

Trying to figure out who gets what

From what i understand

Top 4 get the Champions League

Unless Arsenal and Chelsea both finish outside the the top 4 and win the Europa League and Champions league then the 4th place team would drop to the Europa as only 5 teams can qualify from any one league

FA Cup Winner

Leicester or Chelsea

Assuming both keep their place in the top 4 thats looking most likely the Europa League place on offer will go to a League Place

The League Cup Winner get a spot in the new Europa Conference but with City in the Champions League that will go to a league place

The League

Top 4 Champions League

5th Europa League

So from what i can work out and assuming the top 4 stays as is and Chelsea and Arsenal don't both win in Europe

I think it will go

As we get 2 spots in the EL and EC and the cup winners will(assuming Leicester and Chelsea hold their spots) qualify for the Champions league 

Top 4 Champions League

5/6th Europa League 

7/8th Europa Conference

I know some people don't want the Europa league but i do not think it really benefits us not to play in it. 

Yes its a pain in terms of travelling but you can get through the group stages with mostly kids and squad players from the senior squads and just supplement the team if needed during home games to hold off the travelling for the players. Its more of a pain for Jurgen and his team. If i was him i'd stay behind myself or leave Pep behind to do first team training and take the fringe players to the Europa games during the group stages. Once you get through that stage the competition starts to become interesting with 2 legged games. yes its not as prestigious but its another route into the Champions League and will have some good teams in it with a trip to Seville for the final. 

Just as importantly long term we need to keep the European Coeffecient score up as in future that new Champions league set up has a place for the highest Coeffeciant teams and any years out of Europe really hurt you. Better to be in Europe each year

On the other side is we do not want to be in the coference as that will be full of teams further away in Eastern Europe and teams on shitty pitches looking to kick lumps out of you and only offers a Europa League spot for the winners. With the Europa League finalists only receiving 4/8ml you can only guess at the money in this thing. It will probably cost the club money to play in it

Europa League is great. Play the kids and fringe players until quarters, then all to plays for.

Before QF

Kelleher; Williams, Konate, Kabak, Tsimikas; Keita, Milner, Jones; Shaqiri, Ox, Firmino

From QF:

Alisson; Trent, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robbo; Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago; Salah, Mane, Jota

• Downvote 1

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Fucking hell, we've gone from dead rubbers in the Chumps League to the Europa League is beneath us in less than a season!

I've seen plenty of people saying it. 

I can understand the concentrate domestically thought, but I'd rather be in it. 

Spend oodles of cash (C'mon John it's the only way to get back in our good books), win the Europa league, win the premier league, win the FA & league cups. Watch Everton get relegated & Citeh stripped of all their titles for 'Financial irregularities'. 

Oh wait, what do you mean it's time to wake up?

Our kids/back up players would not do well in the uefa cup.

Look at their record in the domestic cups.

We would be a big scalp for everyone and face teams really up for it and we have seen it time and time again that our 'weakened'/rotated teams just don't perform.

13 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The club needs to be in Europe to maintain its UEFA co efficient never mind build bridges with those cunts.

Yeah despite making two finals and winning one in recent years - our current ranking is only 9 due to a blank year with no europe at all in 16/17.

We are lower than both manc clubs because of that blank season.

We'd be in top 3 easily now if we had had europe in 16/17.

We should jump up next season as i think our blank year falls off...what we don't want is another one adding next season.

15 hours ago, aRdja said:

Europa League is great. Play the kids and fringe players until quarters, then all to plays for.

Before QF

Kelleher; Williams, Konate, Kabak, Tsimikas; Keita, Milner, Jones; Shaqiri, Ox, Firmino

From QF:

Alisson; Trent, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robbo; Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago; Salah, Mane, Jota

No its not.

I was enjoying mocking the Mancs, Arsenal etc being involved in this watered down version of European football. 

Thursday Nights kids or no kids. Shite. 

Well be in Europe of somedescription next season. EL being most likely and the conference league sounds really poor but I like the novelty factor of playing against random teams and players it could almost be fun for our younger players but practically it’ll be a pain in the arse. 

• Upvote 1

Couldn't have picked a shitter time to miss out on Champions League football given the damage the pandemic has done to the club's finances, plus we now have a squad in urgent need of some turnover. 

Ordinarily I wouldn't have minded the Europa League for a season. The group stages are a good chance to integrate new and younger players into the team, plus there's some decent places to visit. It would also benefit us if we only have the league to fully concentrate upon. 

35 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Going into the Europa League will be just the excuse FSG will use not to invest in the squad this summer.

Even though they've spent fuck all since we won the champions league and league.

It will get slowly drip fed by the local journalists over the next few weeks.