You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Apr 18-23 2021)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.c1fbcaffb0090e7b2d3f5068e60210dc.jpg

Sunday Apr 18:

What the fuck? This Super League stuff is mental. Where did it come from? Usually when something like this happens (not that there’s been anything like THIS, but you know what I mean) there’s at least some sort of rumours and whispers beforehand. This was just BOOM, “we’re joining a super league. There’s a dozen of us and we’re trying to get three more. As you were.” 

Of course it’s been mooted for a while and there have been reports about talks taking place, but no-one actually thought THIS was going to happen and this announcement came right out of the blue. Something was amiss about it. It’s like they rushed it through without having it properly prepared. In fact, it’s almost as though the plans were still at the draft stage because there was no way in a million years this was going to get anyone on side and I can’t believe all of these owners were stupid and arrogant enough to think it would get a good response.

The idea itself of a breakaway Champions League doesn’t bother me that much as anything that cuts those corrupt fuckers UEFA out of the picture is fine by me, but the format of this is a joke and was never going to get backing from anyone. No relegation, only five ‘invitational spots’ each season, Spurs and Arsenal getting a guaranteed spot?!?! This just looks like it was drawn up by a bunch of kids, or… actually yeah, American ‘Sports Franchise’ owners. 

It sort of makes sense when you look at the people who came up with it. Barca and Real are in the CL every season without fail (Juve too) so the ‘no relegation’ thing won’t have even been a consideration for them as unlike the rest they pretty much do have a divine right to be in it anyway. When was the last time either of them weren’t in it? They take their spot for granted and justifiably so I guess.

It’s the American owners who will have been rubbing their hands at the guaranteed spot because that’s what they’re used to. US sports are so fucked up with the lack of relegation, rewarding teams for being absolutely fucking shit and owners just raking in cash regardless of how terribly run their ‘franchises’ are. Believe me, I know, because the teams I follow in US Sports are a laughing stock and haven’t been serious about winning since Michael Jordan and the Fridge left town. 

Nothing would suit FSG, Kroenke and the Glazers more than to have a closed shop league where the money is distributed equally among the chosen few because that’s what they’re used to. It goes against everything we stand for though. By we, I mean the rest of the world. Sporting competitions basically everywhere else don’t run like that and in Europe it’s seen as abhorrent. 

Leicester have won the league more recently than Spurs and Arsenal (United too) and they are currently third. But they don’t get in because…. I’m not actually sure. I think it’s because they are regarded as not having as many fans, or they have a smaller stadium or something. I don’t really know. But do Spurs have a huge worldwide fanbase? 

The point is, you can’t set up a breakaway league with guaranteed spots for 15 teams no matter how shit they perform. I’m amazed that those involved even thought for a second they could push it through in this format but I’m more amazed at how the announcement was just sort of rushed out there. That’s not how these things are usually done. 

There’d usually be press briefings beforehand about how shit UEFA are and about how the big clubs are ‘concerned’. It’d be so easy to drum up hatred against UEFA and support for a breakaway league if it was done right, but they didn’t do that. You’d also have expected some big fancy presentation as to what the aims of the new league are and why it would be good for the game. There was none of that either. It almost feels like they weren’t ready to go public with this but then that loon Perez started running his mouth and the others then had to show their hand too. 

The backlash has been furious but it’s just the start. This is going to get ugly as fuck. Speaking of which, Gary Neville seems to have everyone kissing his arse after his impassioned rant about it all today. Please. Do me a fucking favour. Sure, a lot of what he said was spot on but the mask slipped towards the end. “You go on the streets of Liverpool, I mean I don’t have a great relationship with them at all, I don’t like them and they don’t like me. But do you know one thing I always thought about them? They were honest, they had integrity, they would look after their people, they’d look after their own. That’s gone, forget that.”

Last time I checked, Boston wasn’t ‘the streets of Liverpool’ and in fact, no-one on the streets of Liverpool is wanting this. The fan reaction has been overwhelming against it and we’re as pissed off about it as anyone. But now we have ‘no integrity’ and we ‘don’t look after our own’. Fuck off you sanctimonious little cunt. 

Liverpool fans have kept FSG in check. We stopped the ticket price hike, we stopped them furloughing staff. We’ll stop this too, make no mistake. Whereas this little rat faced fuck has sat by and said FUCK ALL as the Glazers piled debt on his club. Busy little gobshite is always up in everyone else’s business but hasn’t said a word about what’s going on at his own club.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I gather that La porta fella, the new Barcelona president couldnt keep his trap shut and went gobbing off to La Liga President yeah fuck you fucking us over (as if), we're joining this Euro elite and there's fuck all you can do.

That went well, about as good as our finishing in front of goal! Oh and great report, out of +ve again but i'll be back!

• Upvote 1

Excellent points Dave, your analysis is spot on. I doubt there is a team in the EPL who wouldn’t have signed up ifinvited. High horse FC would have been first in the queue. there are 9 teams who get into the Champions League every year anyway. When were any of  Real, Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, juve, city, chelsea, lyon, psg, not in it? us, manure and athletico almost but not quite. Plus the same bunch of clubs each year get into the qualifiers or better; saltzberg, Basle ajax, PSV, Inter, Milan etc. It’s virtuslly a closed shopanyway so why all the outrage? One word...envy, driven by Sky, Johnson and the rest.

• Upvote 1

Leicester have won the league more recently than Spurs and Arsenal (United too) and they are currently third. But they don’t get in because…. I’m not actually sure. I think it’s because they are regarded as not having as many fans, or they have a smaller stadium or something. I don’t really know. But do Spurs have a huge worldwide fanbase? 

I've got a theory @dave u. It can't be a coincidence that those involved make up the top 14 of the social media table.

The table below shows the total followers as of January 2021.

Couple of points. How the fuck do Chelsea now have more than us?

Spurs have a pretty sizeable following.

And look at the drop off between the top 14 and Napoli in 15th!

Screenshot_20210424-194435_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, m0e said:

I've got a theory @dave u. It can't be a coincidence that those involved make up the top 14 of the social media table.

And look at the drop off between the top 14 and Napoli on 15th!

They probably bought them!

• Upvote 2

Dave this was a fucking masterclass and well worth the price of admission. I applaud you sir!!!

This was probably the most depressing week I've ever experienced in football. I only started following football in 2005 but I have really loved this sport so seeing cunts like FIFA, UEFA, the FA, those parasites in the media come to the "defense" of a sport they have damaged as much as they have has been galling. Watching all these fucks celebrating this victory for "the fans" even though none of them gives a shit about any fans has been demoralizing. We've all been constantly opining on this site about we've fallen out of love with this game this season because of decision's these fucks implemented 

This week was the closest I've ever come to actually packing it in and not because of the ESL but because of the knowledge that with this victory the reform this game requires just became so much harder. If any of the "big 6" complain about VAR, refs, scheduling, 3 subs, useless international friendlies will it even matter because of the moral high ground this "win" gave them? 

I love Liverpool still I just am really close to hating football, I can't wait for this season from hell to end.

• Upvote 8

I posted this on Facebook to get a reaction:

Let’s play Devil’s Advocate for a second. Here’s a quote from the Guardian back in 2016: “Liverpool’s demise – their relative demise – has some roots in off-field factors. Despite being at the forefront of shirt advertising in the late 1970s – Hitachi television sets, for the record – the club were woefully unprepared for the freewheeling capitalism of the Premier League, a bandwagon which set off in 1992 and left them choking on dust.” There’s a ton of articles with that slant all over the web. So just saying, what if this whole thing had taken flight and Liverpool weren’t onboard and sat by watching as Utd, City etc, etc raked in £300/400 million a year more in revenues, sucking up every decent player and leaving everyone else with nice memories and zero hope of competing. What then? Would we be reading articles in 2031 decrying Liverpool’s (FSG’s) lack of foresight and ambition for us trailing in the ‘Big 5’s’ wake. I don’t know the answer here, but like everything, this whole thing isn’t binary...”

I must confess I’m sick of this ‘FSG OUT’ shite. Yeah they got us for cents on the dollar, but where would be right now without them? Did they deliver on their promises? Fuck yeah and then some. And to listen to those sanctimonious cunts Sky/BT/Neville criticise our club for having the gall to not want to fall behind the rest? We’re not owned by human rights abusers; Russian mafia; leveraged debt experts...sometimes I wonder what it is some people want. Standing with an FSG out banner, to be replaced by whom exactly?

• Upvote 1

I've got a good friend who is a blue and talks in a balanced way about everything to do with us, them and footy in general without ever resorting to being a bellend. What pisses me off is that I'd love to see Everton win something just for the likes of him but unfortunately the rest of the gobshites who support that club outweigh this and for that I wish them nothing but shit. It's a real shame but blues gonna blue.

• Upvote 2

This has been so hard for a legacy twat like me to get my head round. How can so many rich and powerful (and I presume very clever as the 2 normally go hand in hand) people fuck something so major up so comprehensively that they have to abandon it after 2 days? It makes absolutely no sense at all.

I agree about FSG. If we were to campaign against them to get them removed, who exactly would we get in that would run the club better in the current football climate? Without major reform to the whole football structure, the answer as I see it is no-one.

On Neville, I thought he spoke reasonably well although a bit overly emotionally on Monday night. Carra also spoke well in a more composed way, but I was disappointed that he didn't pull him up on those comments you mentioned. They were totally unnecessary and unwarranted. The club should have said something about it too. 

• Upvote 1

Well said dave. I'd have told the golf cunt to fuck off, bollocks to entertaining that shite. 

Unbelievable that on the very day the shit hits the fan we are the side in the top 6 to play one of the "others" media and everyone else couldn't wait to stick the knife in. You couldn't make it up, we were the ones to focus their shit on. 

Rest of the week was a media blackout for me. Even thinking about it now makes me furious. 

Fuck the lot of them. Cunts. 

1570472645910.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, m0e said:

And look at the drop off between the top 14 and Napoli in 15th!

I'm guessing that table doesn't reflect the "Hamezzzzz" Columbian effect?

• Upvote 1

On 25/04/2021 at 13:16, Kepler-186 said:

Monsters of the Midway indeed 

0236E98F-98E3-4C9D-84A0-0E7F0347BAA4.jpeg

Hahaha....I remember this. McMahon was pissed at the NFL commisoner Pete Rozelle and wore the head band with Rozelle on it. Back when the NFL had some character....Dikta changed from a polo shirt to a suit so he would be more calm on the sideline, McMahnon showed up for practices in a full length fur coat. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic