You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Finishing...

Elite

25 minutes ago, Elite said:

What the fuck is going on? 

Lack of fans leading to complacency?

Lack of confidence?

Player decline?

It's staggering how abysmal it has been this season. We must be the worst in the league at converting chances.

All three though in Firmino’s case he’s just really fucking shit.  However he was the best of the bunch today.

It's as bad as in 2011/12, when for the first 2/3s of the season we kept creating chances that ended up hitting the woodwork against goalkeepers who were saving everything else. Then it started to get to our players, we created fewer and fewer chances and the goals properly dried up.

The difference this time is the quality of the actual shooting. Like I said in the Newcastle thread, nearly everything on target is either scuffed or powderpuff and easy for the keeper to save. Nearly every clean contact on the ball is seeing the effort not even hit the target.

Far and away the worst part of our game at the moment.

A lot of factors here. Our threat from set pieces has become non-existent. We were seriously good at them the previous 2 seasons. Firmino and Mane’s finishing has regressed to relegation standard. Mo is still scoring regularly and our only genuine threat but he’s always been wasteful I’m front of goal. 

A replacement for Bobby is essential and pray Sadio gets his head right.

It's baffling. My stream was bigging up dubravka in the Newcastle goal but I dont recall him making any worldies, just being competent. It seems Mo, Sadio and Jota are just making the wrong decision, taking an extra 2 or 3 touches when a maximum 1 should be needed.

People will say oppos have got wise to Mo (and the others) but in that first season when everything Mo hit ended in the net, none of the front 4 now seem to play instinctively when in on goal. It's always nudge it in front, nudge it again, nudge it for good measure, oh the chance has gone, square it. Rinse and repeat.

The coaches need to get a joiner in and make a new version of that goal target with numbers on it that Shanks had at Melwood. get them training on that and they're not allowed hom for tea unless they have a better than 80% record hitting the right numbered square when told which to hit!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SlugTrail said:

I wonder if it has anything to do with PLAYING FABINHO IN FUCKING DEFENCE. I thought we had got over this shit, we are so soft throug the middle when he is not in midfield.

Oh come on, that result today was entirely on the forwards. Sure we could have easily conceded a fair few times as Newcastle had some other good chances but the main issue today by some distance was the forwards. If they'd been even moderately efficient we'd have been out of sight and never been at risk of what happened at the end. Those weren't half chances they were missing. 

The finishing is beyond a fucking joke but the acceptance from it from every player is worse, we all knew that fucking equaliser was coming even after the bastard disallowed one and why because the players shit the bed without Henderson or VVD so we have to bring on 34 year old milner still after all these years. That game today was completely unacceptable on every level it was 100 percent a shithouse performance. The squad needs an overhaul. 

Klopp gets accused of being too loyal to players but so are we, we need a huge overhaul this has been mediocrity since the athletico game.

• Upvote 2

To have such a crisis of confidence in every forward is crazy. Seen a single forward struggle before but for a front 4 to be doubting themselves is crazy. I guess this is where a proper striker would be handy. A Fowler or Owen wouldn't let their head drop if they hadn't scored for 5 or 6 games and would need 4 or 5 chances to actually score. Didn't see today's games but this last 4 months especially they just don't look switched on. Mental and physical exhaustion is probably part of it, and luckily the front three won't be at the fucking Euros but them Salah, Mane, Keita will all fuck off for a month in the middle of next season instead. 

It's strange how 3 players that have linked almost telepathically for 3 years can't string two passes together. 

Something needs changed. I wouldn't be against selling any of them but in a depressed market and in the back of a shit year who's going to front up the cash. And how long before the agents start pushing for a move. I get the feeling the club want a offer for Mo. He's been pushing for a new deal for a while and the club just seem slow to make a move

Our finishing being very variable and inconsistent is a product of one, the type of forwards we have and two, that finishing is variable from season to season anyway. 

Salah, Mane and Jota all create a high number of chances and run around a lot. It's not easy for these types of players to expend so much energy and be so involved in every aspect of play and then also be clinical. Most of the time, we rely on the percentages being on our side: if we create enough chances, one of the forwards will eventually finish one or a couple.

We don't have strikers that are expected to just be determinant around the box. Because of the way play, we have forwards that have to do loads of stuff and then also score. 

50 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The finishing is beyond a fucking joke but the acceptance from it from every player is worse, we all knew that fucking equaliser was coming even after the bastard disallowed one and why because the players shit the bed without Henderson or VVD so we have to bring on 34 year old milner still after all these years. That game today was completely unacceptable on every level it was 100 percent a shithouse performance. The squad needs an overhaul. 

Klopp gets accused of being too loyal to players but so are we, we need a huge overhaul this has been mediocrity since the athletico game.

I agree, this squad now is a fucking disgrace and it needs completely overhauling.

25 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I agree, this squad now is a fucking disgrace and it needs completely overhauling.

You misunderstand me I don't think the squad is a disgrace, they have earned way more respect to be called that. Performances have been a disgrace, so has decision making but this side is burnt out it was inevitable even with the injuries through bad challenges. Great sides evolve every opportunity they can,  we just sat on our laurels and if anything defines the liverpool way since the 80s it's that! wasted fucking chances and it costs way more trying to be clever than it does actually being clever.

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

You misunderstand me I don't think the squad is a disgrace, they have earned way more respect to be called that. Performances have been a disgrace, so has decision making but this side is burnt out it was inevitable even with the injuries through bad challenges. Great sides evolve every opportunity they can,  we just sat on our laurels and if anything defines the liverpool way since the 80s it's that! wasted fucking chances and it costs way more trying to be clever than it does actually being clever.

Yeah, by disgrace I mean disgrace in quality.

For me the main issue was that from about 30 minutes in you knew exactly what was going to happen and as it become more and more clear that it was going to happen we couldn’t do anything to control it. Bad game management and a team full of mental midgets. I can imagine playing for Klopp and all that heightened emotion could be bloody exhausting at the best of times. The poor bloke hasn’t been home since his mum passed nor has Alli. The lads heads aren’t in it this season. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

For me the main issue was that from about 30 minutes in you knew exactly what was going to happen and as it become more and more clear that it was going to happen we couldn’t do anything to control it. Bad game management and a team full of mental midgets. I can imagine playing for Klopp and all that heightened emotion could be bloody exhausting at the best of times. The poor bloke hasn’t been home since his mum passed nor has Alli. The lads heads aren’t in it this season. 

He should have taken a break. We wouldn't be any worse off.

Just hope the summer is enough time for him to refresh and come back rejuvenated.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elite said:

What the fuck is going on? 

Lack of fans leading to complacency?

Lack of confidence?

Player decline?

It's staggering how abysmal it has been this season. We must be the worst in the league at converting chances.

Player decline is not as bad as is thought. However, it will kick in the longer it goes on.

we’re shit because of the ongong injuries to a key Cadre that brought equilibrium to the team. Yes we go on and on about it but its true. The loss of Hendo and VVD, and mis positioning of Fabinho to a lesser degree. Add tiredness due to a fucking outrageous schedule during Covid, no fans (the 12th man element) and we collapsed like a house of cards.