You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Movies Tournament By Decade - Pre 60's Group A

Bjornebye

Greatest Movies Tournament By Decade - Pre 60's Group A  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Top Two

• It's A Wonderful Life
    • Kind Hearts & Coronets
    • Treasure of Sierra Madre
    • The Cruel Sea
    • Bridge On the River Kwai
    • Rear Window
    • A Matter of Life and Death
    • Singin' in the Rain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/04/21 at 14:19

A Matter of Life & Death was the easy choice. Michael Powell & David Niven created a superbly British film that has influenced practically every other cinematic interpretation of the afterlife

the other choice was really tough but ended up with Kind Hearts, partly because I have a soft spot for Alec Guinness and partly because it’s genuinely very funny and comedies don’t always get recognised

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

It's A Wonderful Life is a great story spoiled because the entire film IS WAY TOO FUCKING LOUD!!!

Rear Window and Bridge On The River Kwai for me. Great list though.

It's A Wonderful Life is a tragic story of what fun that little town could have been without the local financial monopoly prude spoiling it.

I love It's a Wonderful Life, yeah it's schmaltzy and it's got that "Hee Haw" cunt in it, but it's always been there and is one of my favourites .

I read The Cruel Sea when I was a lad and I've watched the film many times.

Jack Hawkins played the Captain wracked with guilt brilliantly.

One of the better British WW2 films.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I love It's a Wonderful Life, yeah it's schmaltzy and it's got that "Hee Haw" cunt in it, but it's always been there and is one of my favourites .

I read The Cruel Sea when I was a lad and I've watched the film many times.

Jack Hawkins played the Captain wracked with guilt brilliantly.

One of the better British WW2 films.

Jimmy Stewart is brilliant, he did a lot of great films, my grandads favourite actor ( he was born in 1907)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

He was a great actor and a war hero too. I don't think I've ever seen a film he was in that he didn't make his own.

Cheyenne Autumn. John Ford had a great instinct and always had him play morally dubious characters.

I'm out my depth in this era of the tournament because I don't have cobwebs in my pubes yet but I've seen a good few of them and they don't make films like them anymore. Bridge on the River Kwai and Treasure of Sierra Madre for me. 

• Like 1

A matter of life and death and rear window, both absolute timeless classics - fascinating from the first minute and never beaten at their games.

Kind hearts and coronets would be timeless as well, if it wasn't for that late, casual, pointless blast of racism. Can never really get past it and why, despite the technical genius, it's always going to be a long way behind The Man in the White Suit, Ladykillers and Pimlico, for me.

11 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

He was great as the old angel in It's a Wonderful Life

Should have seen him in the original version of Life of Brian. They filmed it live thats why 1917 wasn't as original as it sounds. Stringy was (still is) The Popular Front. 

image.png

SPLITTER!!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Should have seen him in the original version of Life of Brian. They filmed it live thats why 1917 wasn't as original as it sounds. Stringy was (still is) The Popular Front. 

image.png

SPLITTER!!!!!

Not as popular as he once was.