You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elections 2021

AngryOfTuebrook

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

No, the difference is what matches the whole point of Labour being Labour. Clue is in the name.

Ach, well, I think a bit of reading on Labour history wouldn’t go a miss there. The idea that Labour is defined by old fashioned leftism and nothing else is at odds with the entire movement. It does need to split though. Not sure why many even want anything to do with Labour, even under Corbyn, as they seem more aligned with the SWP. 

45 minutes ago, Numero said:

He said what I quoted. That’s not actually behind a pay wall, you just have to click ‘I’ll try later’. My main quibble was the right wing stuff. He is talking about radical social democracy. If social democracy is the new right wing, we are well and truly in shark jumping territory. 

The headline was about a Left wing Labour party. As I said I have not read the article for a long time, hence left/right wing party. I agree about social democracy not being the new right wing. Blair is implying Corbyn is in favour of "radical leftism" not "radical social democracy" ?

To repeat however, he is clearly saying, that if Corbyn wins the Leadership election he would rather lose that election with Corbyn in charge of policy platform, in fact if Corbyn or his "radical leftism" could win he would rather change policies and lose. 

So I will happily take my left/right wing party out and say this. Tony Blair said he would rather Labour lose an election than win it depending on the Labour party policy positions. We can attach whichever parameters we wish but this is what he said;

“Let me make my position clear: I wouldn’t want to win on an old-fashioned leftist platform. Even if I thought it was the route to victory, I wouldn’t take it.”

26 minutes ago, Numero said:

Ach, well, I think a bit of reading on Labour history wouldn’t go a miss there. The idea that Labour is defined by old fashioned leftism and nothing else is at odds with the entire movement. It does need to split though. Not sure why many even want anything to do with Labour, even under Corbyn, as they seem more aligned with the SWP. 

Since it’s creation, Labour has evolved and generally moved to the right. Do you agree?

On 22/04/2021 at 10:06, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Count Binface has published his manifesto for London. 

20210422_095119.png

Didn't manage to win the Mayoral race, but he did beat Piers Corbyn and UKIP's Peter Gammons, so it's not all bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_London_mayoral_election#Results

20 hours ago, Anubis said:

You hate to see it. You really do....

Of course he’s not losing £10,000 of his own money. It’ll come from the money he got from that vote leave supporting Brexiteer, Jeremy Hosking. Not the best investment Hosking has ever made.

Also beaten by a guy who wanted to reduce the price of Freddos back to 5p 

E05vrTsWQAAz1wM?format=jpg&name=small

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Definitely feels like there’s a realignment going on. Northern, traditional working class places going Tory and some southern remain leaning seats rejecting the Tories?

Greens ripping it up in Bristol. The Labour right MPs Thangam Debbonaires turf is especially taking a hammering.

This purge of the left going down a storm in Bristol, for the greens that is. What the fuck are the Labour party thinking poking a stick at left wing members in a place like Bristol? 

https://www.counterfire.org/articles/opinion/21823-starmer-s-purge-continues-bristol-members-suspended-for-supporting-corbyn

24 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Definitely feels like there’s a realignment going on. Northern, traditional working class places going Tory and some southern remain leaning seats rejecting the Tories?

Culture is becoming more important than class. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

My prediction last year of the Greens being the third biggest party vote wise not seat wise at the next general election doesn't look so daft now. 

Sir Keir seems bent on getting them to second.

What the fuck is going on with the Labour party strategy (especially towards young people) down Bristol?

Do Labour think they are in a strong enough position to neglect the youth vote? Especially in a city like Bristol. Fucking madness. If Starmer's going to survive he's needs to sack his campaign team and start being a bit more politically savvy, and fast. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/entire-labour-party-branch-committee-5197326

I lived in Soundwell, nth West Bristol for a while years ago, fantastic city I enjoyed it there. My district, hillfields has stayed red which is a surprise as its got Soundwell college there but far play to the kids for going green although it's flummoxed me a bit, what the fuck are Labour playing at? Did they miss Thunberg speaking there a while back? Didn't they see the signs? The next election will now be interesting for Labour down there.