You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elections 2021

AngryOfTuebrook

3 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

We are getting pissed and revisiting the campaign. 9 votes !! 

Damn shame. My heart bleeds for you Tories. Look on the bright side though, thank God her prospective constituents were saved another one of you fucks though, eh?

1 hour ago, Neil G said:

I’ll refer you to the question I put to Paulie. What reason did Starmer give the voters of Hartlepool to vote Labour?

What could he possibly promise and carry through? 

That's the game, and in years gone by it's been the same game, if you can't beat them join them.  You want £50m of Towns Funding?  Ok, vote Tory.  You want £150m of Levelling Up Funding?  Sorry, only Tory seats.  

What can Starmer offer?  Nothing, his party isn't at the table.  

When Labour do this though, the Tories and the media en masse talk non-stop about the fucking 'deficit' and borrowing.  Now...not a peep.  

17 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

We are getting pissed and revisiting the campaign. 9 votes !! 

Even though I'm glad she lost and I don't know her or even you, this is probably the saddest I've been that a tory lost. Get drunk then dare each other to ring the police and tell them where the bodies are. 

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Still baffled as how the candidate under Comrade Corbyn the Antisemite got 15k+ votes but 2 years later with Comrade Corbyn the Antisemite now de-whipped the candidate got 8k + votes and it is all down to Comrade Corbyn the Antisemite.. 

Yeah, this.

If Hartlepool has anything to do with Corbyn then how do you explain this?

He’s gone, so if he was so hated then naturally you’d expect to see a new leader bounce. It didn’t happen.

Starmer and the right of the party (still can’t believe that a left wing party even has a “right”) has to own this, it’s on them.

3 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

I have posted several articles about Preston council over the years. Good to see them buck the trend in England.

So, you're saying that giving people power, creating good jobs and investing in the local community are popular policies?

Who knew?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

So, you're saying that giving people power, creating good jobs and investing in the local community are popular policies?

Who knew?

Unless they're delivered by Jeremy Corbyn, then apparently it's a vote loser.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Numero said:

Yep, and does. That said, I think the point Atronts made earlier and Jockey made about Brexit specific parties splitting the vote last time is a good one. It’s not as if they voted for Corbyn and now they’ve abandoned Labour because of Starmer. It is, of course, on Starmer to fix these things and he is responsible for what happens under him. That’s part of leadership, but there’s no escaping that the Tories plus Brexit got 55% last time and Tories got 52% this time. The knock on impact of Brexit probably has at least something to do with the result this time. Starmer has to figure this out or fuck off so somebody else can. My genuine question to anybody who wants him gone is… who replaces him. 

I'm afraid the vote share suggests they did indeed vote for Corbyn and abandoned Labour because of Starmer.  The tories did indeed add approx four thousand votes from 2019 and a lot of those votes probably did come from the brexit party, however if Labours vote had held firm, stayed at the 2019 totall then yesterday's vote would've went to a recount.

Not sure the figures or the channel 4 polls tell the correct story though but they're out there and they're sobering.

6 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Who knew?

Seems it does help a bit.

In another world far far away,

• Upvote 1

Maybe next time there's a pandemic knocking about I think the Labour Party should go all out and political point score ...

Especially when the Govt do just that over a vaccine roll out that was pretty much down to the NHS 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Neil G said:

No, I don’t think we’ll all admit it. If Corbyn had made the Labour brand so irredeemably toxic Labour’s poll ratings wouldn’t have climbed over the summer and autumn last year and been level pegging with the Tories at Christmas. This is on Starmer. He got himself into a good position with a platform to push on and articulate a compelling alternative offer to voters, and he’s done absolutely nothing with it. As a consequence Labour are going backwards.

What is Labour’s identity, purpose and selling point now beyond “Corbyn is gone and look, we’re really patriotic”? There are barely any policy proposals at all, not even broad outlines. The competence message isn’t cutting through any more because people are happy with the vaccine rollout, and the sleaze allegations aren’t landing because the media is glossing over them and most voters have priced them in with Johnson anyway.

I challenge you to name a single positive reason Starmer gave for anybody to vote Labour yesterday.

I'm not having a go at Corbyn, however IMO the current Labour weak-as-pissness was caused by them having to reinvent themselves after the disastrous last few months or so of his reign.

Just my opinion. Happy to disagree with you. 

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

Still baffled as how the candidate under Comrade Corbyn the Antisemite got 15k+ votes but 2 years later with Comrade Corbyn the Antisemite now de-whipped the candidate got 8k + votes and it is all down to Comrade Corbyn the 

Do you not think that the public perception of him changed in those 2 years? I'm not talking the people who support him regardless, but the swinging voters who Labour need. I think did and because Labour is still associated with him in the public eye, that's one of the reasons Labour are doing so poorly. 

That said, they didn't do fantastically in the GE either under the same fella. 

Honestly with the money the conservatives have been spraying around their friends , furloughs and plugging holes in Brexit deficits who would want to be in power next general election. Your on a beaten docket already , cycle of austerity then population veering towards populist liar vicious circle. 

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I'm afraid the vote share suggests they did indeed vote for Corbyn and abandoned Labour because of Starmer.  The tories did indeed add approx four thousand votes from 2019 and a lot of those votes probably did come from the brexit party, however if Labours vote had held firm, stayed at the 2019 totall then yesterday's vote would've went to a recount.

Not sure the figures or the channel 4 polls tell the correct story though but they're out there and they're sobering.

I'm sorry, but no. I'm talking about Hartlepool. That's not what it means and that top tweet is ridiculous. The turnout was much, much lower. Had 'Labour's vote held firm' they would have got 11,284 votes this time, compared to the Tory's 15,529. Hell, even if they kept the same number of votes during the lower turnout, which would have meant a MASSIVE increase for Labour, they still wouldn't have beaten the Tories despite them increasing their vote share by 23% (Brexit party had 25% last time). Labour did badly, and it's Starmer's responsibility. The idea that Labour won last time because of love for Corbyn (their vote share fell by 15% last time) and not because 25% of the electorate voted for Brexit instead of Labour is just utterly silly, considering 70% of the constituency voted for Brexit. Throughout the country it looks like he is a major factor in not voting for the party in local elections (although the 700 and 89 people polled about it aren't entirely conclusive... but I'd imagine it's a serious issue) but in Hartlepool, the numbers don't show 'fuck yeah we love Corbyn but we're not voting for that cunt Starmer', it shows 'fuck Labour... still fuck labour. Brexit, rah rah rah'. 

11 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Just back from the count. Mrs Kurtz lost by 9 votes out of 5,400 cast. 9 votes !! She’s not a happy bunny tonight.

Beaten by the Residents Association? Damn, that's gotta sting.

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Bollocks.  And this is why these polls are a complete red herring.  

Screenshot_20210508-100606.png

How do they get away with  along up comments like that one bottom right? ‘Male 74’ fuck off 

• Upvote 1

Backs up what Gooch said. So in a pro Brexit seat they had the FBPE doc Starmer and championed by Mandelson a former EU commissioner and architect of the peoples vote. Then to rub the locals face in it, they brought down some of the most vociferous EU supporters in David Lammy and Neil Coyle to campaign.  So no policies lots of flags and FBPE came to Hartlepool. Sounds like great leadership and political instincts doesn't it?

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/07/obsessed-with-the-flag-labour-recriminations-begin-in-hartlepool

E02dq-VKXo-AEKg3-P.jpg

24 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Backs up what Gooch said. So in a pro Brexit seat they had the FBPE doc Starmer and championed by Mandelson a former EU commissioner and architect of the peoples vote. Then to rub the locals face in it, they brought down some of the most vociferous EU supporters in David Lammy and Neil Coyle to campaign.  So no policies lots of flags and FBPE came to Hartlepool. Sounds like great leadership and political instincts doesn't it?

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/07/obsessed-with-the-flag-labour-recriminations-begin-in-hartlepool

E02dq-VKXo-AEKg3-P.jpg

Apparently the Tories hammered this stuff with ads on Facebook as well. There was a vox pop on the radio last week and some woman quoted this virtually word for word saying she had seen it on Facebook.

Yet this candidate was imposed on Hartlepool against the local parties wishes, for the above reasons.

To quote Tony Blair; 

I would rather lose with a right wing Labour party than win with a left wing Labour party.

Obviously I am not saying Labour would have won Hartlepool but knowingly putting a candidate up who ticks all the Conservative boxes seems self defeating in the extreme. Especially when the Brexit party basically stopped the Tories winning last time. 

3 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Yet this candidate was imposed on Hartlepool against the local parties wishes, for the above reasons.

To quote Tony Blair; 

I would rather lose with a right wing Labour party than win with a left wing Labour party.

Obviously I am not saying Labour would have won Hartlepool but knowingly putting a candidate up who ticks all the Conservative boxes seems self defeating in the extreme. Especially when the Brexit party basically stopped the Tories winning last time. 

So the people in Hartlepool voted Conservative because the Labour candidate was too right wing?