You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elections 2021

AngryOfTuebrook

14 minutes ago, sir roger said:

What's their m.o. , Denny ?

Will dig up some stuff.

Cut outsourcing. .
First place in the north to pay a living wage.
Cut unemployment in half.
Was voted most improved urban area by PWC.
Encourage worker coops.
Introduce community based credit unions to avoid loan sharks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Will dig up some stuff.

Cut outsourcing. .
First place in the north to pay a living wage.
Cut unemployment in half.
Was voted most improved urban area by PWC.
Encourage worker coops.
Introduce community based credit unions to avoid loan sharks.

UCLAN helps as well.

Here we go.

Since Labour’s resounding election defeat in December, it has become something of a truism to say the loss of its “heartlands” was many years in the making. Across the north and Midlands, the slow burn of mine closures and deindustrialisation left a decisive void in the party – not only in an economic sense, but also politically.

As industry vanished so did the local unions, working men’s clubs and labour societies that once offered working people genuine opportunities for democratic participation. Brexit filled this space, offering people a version of the sense of identity, inclusion and control that Labour has since failed to create: some argue that the party’s attempt to replay and therefore counteract the referendum may have lost it the “working-class” vote for good.

Yet this breezy homogenisation of the north and Midlands fails to take in the complex geography of Labour’s defeat. Why the party continues to thrive in some seats in the midst of heavy defeats elsewhere has barely been covered – a detail surely more important to Labour’s recovery than the endless self-flagellation encouraged by many politicians and commentators

Take Preston, a leave-voting bloc of the party’s now destroyed “red wall”, and a crumbled bastion of the “left behind” north – only this wilfully simplistic story does not hold. Under the guidance of the radical Labour councillor Matthew Brown, Preston has democratised its public institutions and invited people to participate in decision-making at all levels of the city’s economy. And guess what? Labour held the seat by a healthy margin.

Although Labour’s share in Preston dropped a little from 2017, it retained much of the vote recovered under Jeremy Corbyn and was still higher than at any other point during the 21st century, while other Labour strongholds in Lancashire such as Heywood and Middleton turned blue for the first time – the culmination of a decline that began in 2005.

In so many ways, Preston is indicative of the seats lost by Labour this election. After Margaret Thatcher came to power, the city could only watch as deindustrialisation tore through its democratic fabric. Consolidated under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown’s cosmopolitan, big city brand of Labourism, the party’s growing obsolescence soon became apparent: between 2001-11, Preston saw a stark decline in Labour’s share of the vote.

Then, in 2011 – abandoned to austerity by the coalition government – Preston council decided to undertake a radical experiment, now known affectionately as the “Preston model”.

The concept, based on the idea of community wealth building, has sought to create a collective and inclusive economy kept in the hands of the city’s inhabitants. Through worker co-ops, public enterprise, community land trusts and public planning initiatives, Preston council has not only jumpstarted the city’s economy, but turned a place emblematic of the ravages of neoliberalism into what one study calls “the most improved city in the UK”. These positive economic results translated into a boost at the ballot box for Labour at the 2015 election, and by 2017 the party had returned its share of the vote to the highest point since 1997.

This should give pause for thought. Perhaps it wasn’t simply the nationalist tenor of Brexit that galvanised such ardent commitment from leave voters, but the sense of participation instilled by the vote itself. Labour can blame its loss on nationalist sentiment, rising populism and a hostile press – all of which have no doubt played an increasing role in British politics over the past four years. Or the party can focus on what Brexit continues to reveal: a gulf in political participation waiting to be filled.

While Brexit fills this gap in only the most superficial ways, Preston shows how communities can have genuine political agency. Extending autonomy to local institutions, devolving decision-making to the grassroots, cultivating engagement in civic life at the local level – what would this look like on a national scale? This is the question that Labour must answer over the next five years.

Crucially, Labour does not need to be in national government to make this happen in towns across the country – it just requires bold local councillors who are willing to venture into new territory. Not only does Labour still run many local administrations, but further cuts under Boris Johnson may actually offer an incentive for councils to move to the direct and radical forms of localism that Preston has pioneered.

If continued austerity makes radical local government an attractive option, then the climate crisis makes it an urgent necessity. To stand a chance of mitigating disaster, a green industrial revolution can’t wait for a Labour government in five or 10 years; it must begin now in local communities. This would involve, for instance, the development of communally controlled renewable energy, which would allow people around the country to fully partake in the green movement as opposed to being bystanders.

It will be no mean feat to revitalise a culture of participation in the places which have been left to build their futures from the scrapheap of 20th-century capitalism. But this is what Labour must do – or face decades in the wilderness as the right continues to capitalise on the alienation and despair that led so many to vote to leave the EU.

While constituencies all around them were being lost, Preston remained red in December because, as one Labour councillor said, the city is genuinely taking back control. Preston shows that where Labour cultivates participatory democracy it can still win – it must now do this on a far larger scale.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/13/preston-labour-woes-localism-brexit?__twitter_impression=true

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Interesting piece , will be back when gun reliaded.

Good to see my Sefton bucking the trend with 6 Labour gains from Lib Dems and Independents. Glad I roused myself to vote now.

5 hours ago, Dicko said:

Really.

Lets compare two countries responses then shall we, both Islands.

Japan Population - 126.6m

UK Population - 66m

Japan Population Density - 340 PSM

UK Population Density - 275 PSM

Japan Covid cases - 622k

Uk Covid cases - 4.4m

Japan Covid deaths - 10,566

UK Covid deaths - 128,000

So if we subtract Japan's deaths from our own we get 117,434.

Maybe that's a fairer total due to government inaction and incompetence.

Why are you comparing us to Japan and not Brazil? As with twitter you get your reps, feel great but achieve nothing. Great. 

36 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

So I've got a Tory government and a Labour Council, neither of which take a licking for (alleged) corruption, calling the shots in my life. I'm Sophie Scholl over here.

You've just touched upon modern politics! It isn't what you do - it is who you do it for. 

14 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

People still associate them with "Comrad Corbyn the Antisemite." Think we can all admit that his leadership was a fucking disaster for the medium/long term chances of the Labour Party. They're fucked for decades. 

No, I don’t think we’ll all admit it. If Corbyn had made the Labour brand so irredeemably toxic Labour’s poll ratings wouldn’t have climbed over the summer and autumn last year and been level pegging with the Tories at Christmas. This is on Starmer. He got himself into a good position with a platform to push on and articulate a compelling alternative offer to voters, and he’s done absolutely nothing with it. As a consequence Labour are going backwards.

What is Labour’s identity, purpose and selling point now beyond “Corbyn is gone and look, we’re really patriotic”? There are barely any policy proposals at all, not even broad outlines. The competence message isn’t cutting through any more because people are happy with the vaccine rollout, and the sleaze allegations aren’t landing because the media is glossing over them and most voters have priced them in with Johnson anyway.

I challenge you to name a single positive reason Starmer gave for anybody to vote Labour yesterday.

• Upvote 11

45 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

Has any candidate ever had their votes total ridiculed by audible laughter before? Here's the response to the fact that 45 other racist fascist bigots voted for a racist fascist bigot in Glasgow Southside.

Wish they had a camera on the fucking rotters face at that very moment. 

24 minutes ago, Neil G said:

No, I don’t think we’ll all admit it. If Corbyn had made the Labour brand so irredeemably toxic Labour’s poll ratings wouldn’t have climbed over the summer and autumn last year and been level pegging with the Tories at Christmas. This is on Starmer. He got himself into a good position with a platform to push on and articulate a compelling alternative offer to voters, and he’s done absolutely nothing with it. As a consequence Labour are going backwards.

What is Labour’s identity, purpose and selling point now beyond “Corbyn is gone and look, we’re really patriotic”? There are barely any policy proposals at all, not even broad outlines. The competence message isn’t cutting through any more because people are happy with the vaccine rollout, and the sleaze allegations aren’t landing because the media is glossing over them and most voters have priced them in with Johnson anyway.

I challenge you to name a single positive reason Starmer gave for anybody to vote Labour yesterday.

Hartlepool is on Starmer?  Okay. Your post is why Labour is fucked.

We've just voted Joanne Anderson back in. We are in no position to  criticise anyone on voting Tory. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Neil G said:

I’ll refer you to the question I put to Paulie. What reason did Starmer give the voters of Hartlepool to vote Labour?

UKiP/Brexit had 20% of the vote - who do you think they were going for? Corbyn? 

Worst election defeat ever - and you are putting him on a platform. Nice.  He was hated in Hartlepool - if you can't  see that. Fine.

I don't want to say too much as I am pissed. Can I get back to you? I'm not arguing drunk? Sorry mate!

1 minute ago, Jockey said:

UKiP/Brexit had 20% of the vote - who do you think they were going for? Corbyn? 

Worst election defeat ever - and you are putting him on a platform. Nice.  He was hated in Hartlepool - if you can't  see that. Fine.

You haven’t answered my question.

3 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I don't want to say too much as I am pissed. Can I get back to you? I'm not arguing drunk? Sorry mate!

No worries.

I’m not saying there wasn’t a hangover from Corbyn in Hartlepool, but I was responding to Paulie’s claim that he’s fucked Labour for decades to come which is a ridiculous exaggeration. Starmer could have done much better and has to take responsibility for failing to do so.

4 minutes ago, Neil G said:

No worries.

I’m not saying there wasn’t a hangover from Corbyn in Hartlepool, but I was responding to Paulie’s claim that he’s fucked Labour for decades to come which is a ridiculous exaggeration. Starmer could have done much better and has to take responsibility for failing to do so.

No worries mate. I think we are a lot closer than what we think! 

Sorry - I don't like this, when I am pissed I get worried! Emmylou Harris on BBC - so I am away getting smashed! 

8 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Just back from the count. Mrs Kurtz lost by 9 votes out of 5,400 cast. 9 votes !! She’s not a happy bunny tonight.

I knew those postal votes I got hold of would do the trick.

7 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Just back from the count. Mrs Kurtz lost by 9 votes out of 5,400 cast. 9 votes !! She’s not a happy bunny tonight.

Your fault that. I can't believe you didn't leaflet those last half dozen houses on Wavering Street.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jockey said:

Why are you comparing us to Japan and not Brazil? As with twitter you get your reps, feel great but achieve nothing. Great. 

Why Brazil? Oh wait they have more deaths maybe you wanted me to pick USA, India or Mexico too.

UK - Johnson Populist

USA - Trump Populist

Brazil - Bolsonaro Populist

India - Modi Populist

Mexico - Obrador Populist

See a pattern here.

Add Hungary to the list as well with the highest deaths per capita in the world another right wing Populist in Orban.

There are 195 countries in the world 190 of them have less deaths than us but you want me to pick one of the four countries that do have more deaths.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Neil G said:

No worries.

Yep, and does. That said, I think the point Atronts made earlier and Jockey made about Brexit specific parties splitting the vote last time is a good one. It’s not as if they voted for Corbyn and now they’ve abandoned Labour because of Starmer. It is, of course, on Starmer to fix these things and he is responsible for what happens under him. That’s part of leadership, but there’s no escaping that the Tories plus Brexit got 55% last time and Tories got 52% this time. The knock on impact of Brexit probably has at least something to do with the result this time. Starmer has to figure this out or fuck off so somebody else can. My genuine question to anybody who wants him gone is… who replaces him. 

16 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

People still associate them with "Comrad Corbyn the Antisemite." Think we can all admit that his leadership was a fucking disaster for the medium/long term chances of the Labour Party. They're fucked for decades. 

Still baffled as how the candidate under Comrade Corbyn the Antisemite got 15k+ votes but 2 years later with Comrade Corbyn the Antisemite now de-whipped the candidate got 8k + votes and it is all down to Comrade Corbyn the Antisemite.. 

• Like 1