You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elections 2021

AngryOfTuebrook

1 minute ago, Jockey said:

I think there is a tangible divide between educated and non-education in how they vote! I leads itself to insults - but, we need to get past it. Hopefully this is the start. 

It's only going to get worse imo and not only in Britain but everywhere. Public discourse is now the realm of the algorithm and those who designed them. They figured out long ago there's profit to be had in provoking certain emotions - anger is more stimulating than hope and so outrage becomes the new currency of the age. We are each steered into our own echo chamber and conditioned to hate the other side because they're against what we are for and the feeling is mutual.

Information is now consumed in easily digestible bite size nuggets that don't have the space for nuance, complex thought or rational debate. You can't set forth persuasive policy if people are less and less inclined to read past a catchy headline or Twitter post.

*disclaimer: I am also becoming increasingly conditioned in this way and the post above should be in no way construed as a patronising attack on the unwashed, illiterate oiks of Hartlepool.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I'm not discussing it. Carry on calling people who disagree with you dickheads. That's proved successful. 

11 years of austerity with a debt higher than in 2010, a government which is mired in corruption and managed to privatise a pandemic while going into recession and are responsible for thousands of preventable deaths.

And people still voted for them.

Calling them dickheads is letting them off lightly.

More like fucking evil.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you don't want to vote Lib Dem, that's your business, but it should be for a real reason. PR was never, ever on the table during coalition discussions. It was always a non-starter, and even getting the halfway house of alternative vote took a major effort.

Arguably they should have walked away unless they got PR, but it would have looked like putting party concerns/obsessions over the "national interest". A no-win situation, essentially.

My apologies for not having a reason which you find acceptable. Must try harder!

I cannot be the only one who was first drawn to the Lib Dems in the belief that PR was a real thing and was achievable in my lifetime. The continued rise in Lib Dem numbers must surely have been partly as a consequence of this belief?

It seems irrelevant given the decimation inflicted on a party I used to believe in, but, the "no win situation" argument holds little water with me, and for the party to delude themselves that they had no choice but to agree to a referendum on something people barely understood in exchange for austerity light explains why there is little likelihood of a revival in fortunes soon. 

Which would you have preferred Stronts - austerity light or PR and which would have benefited the nation more?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jockey said:

150,000 didn't die because of government negligence! Honestly it isn't difficult - the hyperbole makes it worse. Their response was amongst the worst in the world - but it is nonsense to say that 150,000 died because of them. That suggests that if they were competent nobody would have died! 

We are not going beat these cunts like this. Cameron and Johnson are vacuous cunts and interested in themselves, it looks to me like people project what they want them to be! I keep reading how Starmer, or Labour need to stand for something - yet people don't seem to know what Johnsons stands for? He can't possibly be all things to all men - as with Trump, a lot of his promises contradict others. 

Really.

Lets compare two countries responses then shall we, both Islands.

Japan Population - 126.6m

UK Population - 66m

Japan Population Density - 340 PSM

UK Population Density - 275 PSM

Japan Covid cases - 622k

Uk Covid cases - 4.4m

Japan Covid deaths - 10,566

UK Covid deaths - 128,000

So if we subtract Japan's deaths from our own we get 117,434.

Maybe that's a fairer total due to government inaction and incompetence.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Qwikage said:

My apologies for not having a reason which you find acceptable. Must try harder!

I cannot be the only one who was first drawn to the Lib Dems in the belief that PR was a real thing and was achievable in my lifetime. The continued rise in Lib Dem numbers must surely have been partly as a consequence of this belief?

It seems irrelevant given the decimation inflicted on a party I used to believe in, but, the "no win situation" argument holds little water with me, and for the party to delude themselves that they had no choice but to agree to a referendum on something people barely understood in exchange for austerity light explains why there is little likelihood of a revival in fortunes soon. 

Which would you have preferred Stronts - austerity light or PR and which would have benefited the nation more?

I've said a number of times that real change in this country will be unachievable until we get a proportional voting system, but it's not close to being a possibility at the moment, so that is a bit of a false dilemma. Anyway, I think it's unlikely that in a similar situation, the party would repeat the mistakes of the past, and making PR a non-negotiable part of a deal with anyone would be something I'd hope to see. Although I don't think it's quite the vote winner that you think it is, but I wish it was.

I did hear that Starmer is more amenable to PR than any previous Labour leader, which I find encouraging, because I've also said what a mistake I think it has been for Labour leaders to attach themselves to FPTP. It cannot be right that we have a consistent anti-Tory majority in this country yet constantly find ourselves with a Tory government.

Until then I'd just vote for whichever party has the best chance of winning that supports proportional voting. Regardless of anything in the past.

1 hour ago, Dicko said:

Really.

Lets compare two countries responses then shall we, both Islands.

Japan Population - 126.6m

UK Population - 66m

Japan Population Density - 340 PSM

UK Population Density - 275 PSM

Japan Covid cases - 622k

Uk Covid cases - 4.4m

Japan Covid deaths - 10,566

UK Covid deaths - 128,000

So if we subtract Japan's deaths from our own we get 117,434.

Maybe that's a fairer total due to government inaction and incompetence.

It’s almost as though being an island (see also New Zealand) was a major advantage if a competent government did their job and locked it down.

2 hours ago, Jockey said:

Isn't that key? How come they have and Labour can't? 

How did Farage, a privately educated, stockbroker convince so many people he wasn't part of the establishment? As I mentioned earlier - the ease which 'London elite' gets thrown at Labour when a lot of those boroughs are deprived. Same as Liverpool. Labour have apparently abandoned the 'working class' - so, no working class exist in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Bristol, Cardiff? 

Politics has never been about truths. It has always been about message. Shit but that is the way it is.

I feel this is in the pushback against 'wokeness' argument. People like Farage and Johnson because they say stuff that "you're not allowed to say any more" so you're drawing in all the people who feel, rightly or wrongly, are being vilified for their opinions on matters of race, sovereignty, sexuality etc. Like they're on the side of the 'little guy' pushing back against the woke crew who are curtailing people's views.

So Starmer, son of a nurse and toolmaker, is viewed as posher and more out of touch than Johnson because he cannot say the extremes of Johnson and Farage.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I feel this is in the pushback against 'wokeness' argument. People like Farage and Johnson because they say stuff that "you're not allowed to say any more" so you're drawing in all the people who feel, rightly or wrongly, are being vilified for their opinions on matters of race, sovereignty, sexuality etc.

A lot of truth in that.