You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) Premier League - 24/4/21 - 12:30

Bjornebye

Last season's corresponding fixture was also a Saturday lunchtime kick-off. Despite the Geordies taking the lead with a well-hit effort from left back Jetro Willems, we clawed back the initiative before half time thanks to two goals from Sadio. The first was a fine curling effort into the top corner from just inside the box. The second owed itself to excellent movement and defensive calamity to leave Sadio with a tap-in. In the second half we just controlled the game without over-exerting ourselves, and put the icing on the cake with a brilliant goal from Mo. A quality give-and-go between him and Bobby put the Egyptian through to fire past the Newcastle keeper. We were flying.

I could have delved into the archives and gone for any of the 4-3 games from the mid-90s. The first game had a real ebb and flow while the second saw our attacking prowess almost get derailed by our defensive frailty. Thankfully, Newcastle still carried the Keegan legacy even though Kenny was now in charge, and Fowler spared our blushes in the last minute.

The game I'm going back to is the last day of the 2013/14 season. We needed to win and hope that City would lose against a West Ham team with Fat Sam in charge and free of the spectre of relegation. Once he's done that part, he and the players are basically on holiday. City battered the Hammers so what we did was of no consequence. Still, we recovered from Skrtel putting into his own net early on. Two quickfire goals just after the hour mark from Agger and Sturridge meant we'd finish the season on a bit of a high note. Newcastle finished the game with 9 men and Ameobi and Dummett were both sent off.

Calvin Harris spent a week at the top of the UK charts with 'Summer'. He's done far better stuff than this, and it punctuated Mr. Probs' own spell at number one with the far superior 'Waves'. That one was a real gem so I'm including it here too.

Another home game. Last year that almost certainly meant a guaranteed 3 points but since the turn of the year, we have really struggled at our own place. A number of reasons for that. No fans means no intensity. Square pegs in round holes. Attackers misfiring. No threat from midfield. Possible burnout. Crap officiating. Someone putting some bad juju in the home dressing room.

Whatever it is, we have to get back to what we were doing right before 2021. We need some sort of intensity and creativity, and it needs to be allied to concentration and diligence at the back together with ruthlessness and incision up front. Steve Bruce has often come to Anfield and snuck away with a point (occasionally more) because we've lacked these attributes on the day. No excuses. No thinking about the Super League fiasco. Just do what we are capable of, if only to show that we are STILL capable.

• Upvote 2

After the ‘excitement’ this week, back to mundane matters..... and having to watch Andre Marriner allow Newcastle kick us all over the park. In the corresponding game last season, Matip was dragged to the floor at a corner, in the grip of a headlock. No penalty according to Marriner. Twat.

5 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Big Nat v Wor Andy.

We already have a super league.

Wor Andy downs 5 bottles of Newcy in the tunnel and staring at Big Nat. Big Nat drinks a pint of concrete and looks back at him. Wor Andy stubs his toe and breaks his pelvis. 1 nil. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Stickman said:

Usual Twatter rumours that Jota is injured as wasn’t pictured in training and could be out for Utd game too....Sad thing is they’re usually true

Said training footage showed Jones back and Phillips jogging with a physio, but no Origi/Henderson/van Dijk/Jamie Cassidy etc.

Just watched the press conference. Phillips still ok. Jota “ ok “

the press in this country are horrible, still pushing Klopp on the ESL and trying to drive a wedge between team and fans. 

you could see how frustrated he is. 

press are cunts 

5 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

Just watched the press conference. Phillips still ok. Jota “ ok “

the press in this country are horrible, still pushing Klopp on the ESL and trying to drive a wedge between team and fans. 

you could see how frustrated he is. 

press are cunts 

Didn't he say Phillips was not ready?

I think he goes:

----------------------Allison---------------------

--Trent-------Kabak---Fabinho----Robertson

-------------------Gini--------------------------

--------Milner-----------Thiago---------------

---Salah----------Firmino------------Mane---

...with Jota going back to the bench (where he probably causes most damage from).

I'd like to see Davies for Thiago or Milner with Fab moving back into MF, but it seems like Klopp has zero interest in throwing him in at the deep end of our attempt at CL qualification. I can sort of understand that, but I think it would have been better for the team balance if he had given him a chance.

54 minutes ago, lebron said:

Didn't he say Phillips was not ready?

I think he goes:

----------------------Allison---------------------

--Trent-------Kabak---Fabinho----Robertson

-------------------Gini--------------------------

--------Milner-----------Thiago---------------

---Salah----------Firmino------------Mane---

...with Jota going back to the bench (where he probably causes most damage from).

I'd like to see Davies for Thiago or Milner with Fab moving back into MF, but it seems like Klopp has zero interest in throwing him in at the deep end of our attempt at CL qualification. I can sort of understand that, but I think it would have been better for the team balance if he had given him a chance.

Sorry. Stupid predictive text. Meant out