You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher: Fan power can stop European Super League from going ahead    

TLW

Jamie Carragher believes that the fans across the country have the power to stop the plan that threatens the heart of the game that we all love.

Many individuals associated with the game was unanimous in their horror and anger as it was revealed that six of the biggest clubs in the country will join forces with three clubs in Italy and Spain for the European Super League.

While it blindsided many, plans had been taking place under the cloak of darkness with the FSG group reportedly at the heart of the plan along with their counterparts from Man United.

UEFA have made it clear that the ramifications for joining any such rebel league are severe and include players being banned from the European Championship and the World Cup.

Gary Neville made global headlines yesterday in his strong condemnation for the two most successful clubs in English Football and ahead of Liverpool’s 1-1 draw with Leeds, it was his fellow Sky Sports pundit who took the baton.

The Echo reported Carragher as saying: 

“(I feel) no different to Gary and every supporter up and down the country.

"What I would say is this is not Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Man City involved, this is  John Henry and FSG, this is the Glazers, this is Roman Abramovich, Sheikh Mansour, Stan Kroenke, Daniel Levy - these are the people to blame for this.

“What they’re doing right now is dragging institutions we’ve seen in this country for over 100 years basically through the mud, burning the history of what those clubs are about because from your own club’s point of view, the only reason Liverpool are in this or have a chance of being in the Super League is because they’ve won six European Cups or 20 league titles. 

“So, they’ve used what Liverpool have done in their history, going back to Bill Shankly and even before that, to get into some league and line their own pockets. The biggest thing for me is certainly the football world in terms of everyone being against it tonight.

Despite the influx of overseas billionaires coming into the game in the last 10-15 years, Carragher has been around the game long enough to know how important fans are and how they can sway decisions.

He says the time is now for fans to make their presence felt.

image.png

“My message to everyone is I think these clubs think this is a done deal, it’s done, I don’t think it is, I think supporters up and down this country can stop this - I really do believe this and I think at the forefront of that will be Liverpool because I’ve seen it before.

“We have tribalism in this country, we have rivalry, that’s what makes the game we love. Football fans get together, all of us, in TV, pundits, players, managers, get together and stop this because it can be stopped. I’m convinced of it.

“Going forward, I think that’s what we need, marches on stadiums, supporters getting together, this cannot be allowed to happen."

The Reds received a hostile reception from home fans outside the gates at Elland Road, and the club itself left no one in any doubt over their thoughts by wearing warm-up shirts with the words 'Earn it' next to the Champions League logo and 'Football is for the fans' and also left the shirts in Liverpool's dressing room in case they wanted to join the protest.

It was a ‘stunt’  which did not leave Klopp in the best of moods.

“We were not involved in the process. "We are the team, we wear the shirts with pride. Somebody has made a decision with the owners in world football that we don't know exactly why.

"We are here, we are the face of the club and arrived here and Leeds fans shouted at us as though we made the decision but we didn't.

Someone who came through the ranks at the Yorkshire club was James Milner.

Never one to hold back in an opinion, the veteran midfielder left no-one in any doubt about where he sat on this issue

“I don't like it one bit and hopefully it doesn't happen.

"It [the current system] has worked well for a long time. What has made it special, what we have done over the last few years, is we have earned the right to win the Champions League and the Premier League. The product we have currently is very good.

"It is difficult. Coming into the game today Leeds fans were making their feelings shown. As players we don't really have a say so it feels a bit unjust."

View full article

• 3 weeks later...

This rhetoric is on the same level of introspection as the voters of Hartlepool.  

I thoroughly contest each of the points he brought up, and my evidence is the CL final, and the PL table.  His evidence is....Gary Neville's beef with the Glazers.  

Sheffield United made a profit last year.  They only made a profit because they syphoned millions out of a TV deal that is 99.999% based on subscription-paying fans wanting to watch the 6 PL teams who threatened to go into the ESL.  

And in return, Sheffield United make games Vs those 6 teams unwatchable.  

Meanwhile, when City canter to another five titles in a row, the media and the pundits will be calling for Klopps head or Solksjaer's, and telling the fans to slash coppers' faces to get money out of the owners, or to change the owners, who invariably during the Covid downturn will be Chinese or Middle East despots who collect heads and hands.  

Or....fucking or....those six teams get to keep a bigger slice of the TV pie, the pie that they earn. And in turn they get to use that extra money to try and compete with City instead of giving Sheff Utd, Fulham, Palace, Burnley, West Brom, Norwich, Watford, etc this revolving door with the PL by doping their Championship promotion the following season.   

Sorry if that's hard to follow Carra, but you're not going to have much of a product to sell to subscribers when City wrap up titles by Christmas each year.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Neville and Carragher are so entrenched in the Sky machine they cant see the wood for the trees 

Neville knows exactly what he's doing, Carragher is just being a complete Murdoch bitch, embarrassing to see.

I disagree with Jamie on this one, I think it was Pundit Power wot did it. Gary and Jamie but especially Gary are so influential and also humble and just great guys that they have this incredible influence on world football. 

I propose the new show be called Saint and Spitty and a bumper pay rise for the pair of them. Also instant promotion to PL for gAry's team with the slight caveat that he has to be manager and interview himself after games.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Iceman said:

I disagree with Jamie on this one, I think it was Pundit Power wot did it. Gary and Jamie but especially Gary are so influential and also humble and just great guys that they have this incredible influence on world football. 

I propose the new show be called Saint and Spitty and a bumper pay rise for the pair of them. Also instant promotion to PL for gAry's team with the slight caveat that he has to be manager and interview himself after games.  

Saint and Spitty.

Brilliant

Agree with you there colonel. Carragher is a bellend who totally buys into the murdoch machine. The PL must get tough on Man City as if they were to win the next several titles, that is surely bad for business. 

Uefa are clearly not competent enough to sort them out. 

And yes, it is about time that the clubs you mentioned stop hanging on to the actual revenue and interest generating clubs coat tails. 

They're like bottom feeders after every single scrap from the pond without doing any of the work. 

1 hour ago, Freddo said:

Agree with you there colonel. Carragher is a bellend who totally buys into the murdoch machine. The PL must get tough on Man City as if they were to win the next several titles, that is surely bad for business. 

And yes, it is about time that the clubs you mentioned stop hanging on to the actual revenue and interest generating clubs coat tails. 

They're like bottom feeders after every single scrap from the pond without doing any of the work. 

I don't think it's even that. He's just a fucking lickspittle (very apt description judging by his behaviour in his car) who is terrified of being thrown head first off the gravy train. He and that manc ferret absolutely epitomise self serving like its an Olympic sport.

• Upvote 1

Carra will always get some respect from me for what he did on the pitch for us. Fearless , committed and a great leader at the back. Istanbul in extra time he was outstanding and saw us through.

As a pundit he has said some very stupid things which is a great pity and he would do well to listen to Souness before sounding off with Ratboy. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Freddo said:

I think the top six teams should keep a huge slice of the PL money, and I think the remaining money should be equally shared among the other 14 AND the Championship, League One and League Two.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Who around the world is tuning in to watch West Brom v Burnley or Everton v Palace no cunt that’s who. 

Dunno about that, the whole of Columbia will be tuning in to watch the shite, wont they? Or at least that's what they tell anyone who'll listen to their drivel!