You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Super League Poll

Megadrive Man

Super League Poll  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of the proposed super league?

• Yes - Its a super idea
    • No - It's a disgrace

On 20/04/2021 at 09:52, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Massively torn between my own reaction and Evertonians, I mean I just absolutely love how they're in with the pig feed.

Its genuinely been hilarious watching them lose the plot over this. Going from the outrage over them not being invited and them acting like hysterical OTT drama queens to them being the self proclaimed saviours of the game. Problem is no one gives a fucking shit what they think or say.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I disagree,the major issue was that a load of top(by that I mean richest.See Tottenham for example) teams were going to form a league they couldn't be relegated from even if they didnt finish in all the respective top positions in their leagues. This is dogshit as  'top' should mean 'highest finishing.'

Football's evolved throughout it's lifetime. The Football League didnt want their clubs playing in the fledgling European competitions even if the Inter Cities Fairs Cup was a FIFA organised one. That's why we have the EFL Cup, a competition to dissuade clubs playing in Europe. Then it was given a Wembley final to boost it's standing.

Then we had the Premier League formed in cohoots with the FA followed by the Champions League. Some of the conditions of the Euro league are similar to UEFA's reforms. There's nothing in UEFA's reforms for the fans.

If serious debate had of been had over the Euro League, there would no doubt have been tweaks here and there. But instead we have the bastardisation of UEFA's 'reforms.'

10 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Football's evolved throughout it's lifetime. The Football League didnt want their clubs playing in the fledgling European competitions even if the Inter Cities Fairs Cup was a FIFA organised one. That's why we have the EFL Cup, a competition to dissuade clubs playing in Europe. Then it was given a Wembley final to boost it's standing.

Then we had the Premier League formed in cohoots with the FA followed by the Champions League. Some of the conditions of the Euro league are similar to UEFA's reforms. There's nothing in UEFA's reforms for the fans.

If serious debate had of been had over the Euro League, there would no doubt have been tweaks here and there. But instead we have the bastardisation of UEFA's 'reforms.'

UEFA's reforms are shite too. The European competitions have been fucked about with enough and this too makes me less arsed with modern football too. And its all coming from greed from all parties and nothing more. 

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

UEFA's reforms are shite too. The European competitions have been fucked about with enough and this too makes me less arsed with modern football too. And its all coming from greed from all parties and nothing more. 

Yes, I agree. The Euro league wasnt perfect. First ideas rarely are and always benefit from tweaks. That's all Im saying, the Euro league was killed off without any discussion how to improve things.

17 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, I agree. The Euro league wasnt perfect. First ideas rarely are and always benefit from tweaks. That's all Im saying, the Euro league was killed off without any discussion how to improve things.

The Euro League was presented by its member clubs as a fait accompli, with no room for discussion.  It had to be killed off before any discussion could even start.

52 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The Euro League was presented by its member clubs as a fait accompli, with no room for discussion.  It had to be killed off before any discussion could even start.

You discuss, listen to feedback, make changes for the better then secure agreement. That agreement could be to continue or disband. Absolutes do no one any good.

First ideas are usually made as drafts or proposals inviting and being open to further input/inviting discussion.

You don't launch a site and put out statements on all the 14 clubs sites saying this is what we are doing and it starts ASAP.

The ESL was presented as a 'this is what we are doing' and it has been decided, no input was sought or wanted from anywhere else and it was a done deal.

Uttet stupidity as an approach to making change.

3 hours ago, an tha said:

First ideas are usually made as drafts or proposals inviting and being open to further input/inviting discussion.

You don't launch a site and put out statements on all the 14 clubs sites saying this is what we are doing and it starts ASAP.

The ESL was presented as a 'this is what we are doing' and it has been decided, no input was sought or wanted from anywhere else and it was a done deal.

These 14 clubs just want more money than the massive slice they are already getting,which is already substantial. Apart from the closed shop I see two other scenarios which bother me greatly as a football supporter and not just a Liverpool fan. Firstly,if these top clubs get even more money then we will lose even more clubs at the bottom end and I dont believe that's right. I do think we have too many professional clubs but that discussion is a slightly separate one to be had. Secondly,of these 14 clubs,putting aside my vehement opposition to the ESL proposal,only about 5 or 6 generate the kind of income to have a bit of an argument for them to have a bigger slice of the pie. Liverpool and United versus anybody generate more interest than any other two teams in the UK,even Europe. Maybe if FSG had have started with something like that then they wouldn't have looked so foolish and greedy.

4 hours ago, an tha said:

Strange, Ive just re read the web site again. It says "......the inaugural season, which is intended to commence as soon as practicable.

Going forward, the Founding Clubs look forward to holding discussions with UEFA and FIFA to work together in partnership to deliver the best outcomes for the new League and for football as a whole."

So you're clearly wrong about their "'this is what we are doing' and it has been decided, no input was sought or wanted from anywhere else and it was a done deal."

Apparently the contract they signed up to also included a provision about only proceeding in accordance with existing obligations owed to the various leagues. Which is probably why the Prem has yet to find an offence to charge them with. 

In other news, the Premier League is now run by the 14 lesser clubs. I cant be arsed copying the whole diatribe but this is a flavour.

Executives from the 'Big Six' English clubs who tried to break away and form the European Super League have resigned from their positions on Premier League committees.

Although the project spectacularly unravelled last week following a ferocious backlash from the wider football world, bonds of trust between the rebels and the other 14 top-flight clubs have been broken.

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters approached executives from Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United last week and requested they stepped down.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9526061/Executives-Big-Six-RESIGN-Premier-League-roles-furious-Super-League-backlash.html

44 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Strange, Ive just re read the web site again. It says "......the inaugural season, which is intended to commence as soon as practicable.

Going forward, the Founding Clubs look forward to holding discussions with UEFA and FIFA to work together in partnership to deliver the best outcomes for the new League and for football as a whole."

So you're clearly wrong about their "'this is what we are doing' and it has been decided, no input was sought or wanted from anywhere else and it was a done deal."

If you don't think that it was presented as a big fuck off we are doing this then i or nobody else can help you.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Can I change my vote to yes.

Thats the problem at the moment, if the 14 go after the big 6 and try to enforce punishment and even make a power grab of their own then the fan bases of the 6 will likely become more amenable to joining the ESL.

I dont agree with it one bit but it they want to keep harping on about it then let's just join as a big fuck you to the little clubs.

Given there is a good chance the 4 European Finalists will be all from England, I wonder if those champions of supporter power, UEFA, will move the finals from Gdansk and Istanbul to Wembley, so that supporters can attend?

I don't know what Poland is like, but I see Turkey has just gone into lockdown. 

Although I'd find it immensely funny if they didn't, if it is 4 English Finalists, they really should be moving the finals.

• Upvote 1

I see rat boy Gary Neville was all giddy at one of the “Greedy Six” putting a shit loads of goals past Roma on Thursday 

Wasn’t that long ago he went on his passionate rant and wanted them all to lose every game for the rest of the season and get relegated ...Or is that just when we we are playing.? 

Shows how right Klopp was to call out this hypocritical cunt 

• Upvote 3

I went for a beers with my mates last night, and as we're all reds, we inevitably got onto the subject of the ESL.

Like me, they weren't in favour of the "closed shop" element of it, but weren't precious about ditching UEFA given how in particular Athens, Basel and Kiev were handled. 

But one lad made a good point - these clubs saying it's a closed shop, but apart from Leicester once, who was the last club from outside the Big Six to qualify for the CL?

2005 - Everton got beat in the qualifiers.

2003 - Newcastle got beat in the qualifiers.

2000 - Leeds had a good run.

Looking back to the start of the Premiership, I think the only clubs apart from the "Big Six" who've actually qualified for the groups are Leicester, Newcastle, Leeds and Blackburn. Of the 49 clubs ever to compete in the Premiership, only 10 of them have ever qualified and 3 of them have only done it once.

So these dumb cunts complaining about the a "closed shop", don't realise it has been more or less closed shop for the past 28 years. The irony being, when it's got easier to qualify (ie more places) the other clubs have become less likely to qualify.

• Upvote 1

The amount of times clubs have qualified for the CL...

Man Utd -24

Arsenal - 19

Chelsea - 18

Liverpool - 13

Man City - 10

Spurs - 5

Leeds & Newcastle - 2 (Leeds = 1993 & 2001. Newcastle = 1997 & 2003)

Blackburn & Leicester - 1

"Closed Shop". 

• Upvote 1

It'd be interesting to see how many times clubs outside the top six have won a domestic trophy since City bought their success. One benefit of the ESL would have been proper FFP controls which would probably  have made domestic success less of a closed shop.