You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Super League Poll

Megadrive Man

Super League Poll  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of the proposed super league?

• Yes - Its a super idea
    • No - It's a disgrace

I am against it, but UEFA due to pressure from the clubs have been edging towards it anyway. The CL was introduced  to prevent a breakaway ESL, as the bigger clubs wanted wanted more money and be more likely to qualify. Hence more places for the big leagues and more group games. 

The proposed CL changes, is more games and easier qualification based on recent history. If it was operating this year, we would qualify irrespective of league position. 

For me the straw was FFP, the old traditional clubs saw the new rich come in and blow them away financially. They put pressure on UEFA to level the playing field and UEFA failed. So we are where we are. The clubs have gone, the only way we can level the playing field is to do it ourselves and here we are.

This don't mean I agree, but I understand. My hope is it a high stake poker play and a compromise will be reached. 

The owners won't care about the fallout if they get what they want, and next season when everyone is friends again (Sky and BT) they will all talk about how great it is everyone is playing together in the CL and the Premier League.

Or, Third option, not sure.

I voted against the idea in its current format

Negatives

The competition is a closed shop - Teams should have to qualify for it in some way.

The Champions League becomes the new UEFA cup.

Europa League becomes even more pointless.

Fans will undoubtedly pay more - it's certainly not going to be cheaper.

Positives

Aside from our owners getting richer, I can't really think of any.

40 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Need a third option - undecided. I was a bit pissed at the announcement but honestly, the hysterical reaction from the media, politicians, rival football fans etc. is pushing me into the "for" camp. Most of these cunts need very little reason to display open hostility to us but this Super League has given them the excuse to declare open season on us. Fuck them. 

I bristle at a lot of the criticism being thrown at 'the club' (these cunt owners aren't the clubs) as well as the mass hypocrisy of some of those doing the throwing. We have to look beyond that though as there is a much bigger picture.

Tthis will basically kill football if it happens. It's not just the teams not involved who will be screwed over by it, it will be shit for us as well.

The reason games against Real Madrid are special is because they don't come around very often and because you have to earn the right to play them.

It will quickly become boring, as will most other games both in the ESL and the PL because unless you're in with a good chance of winning the title then there's no stakes involved and games will just be dead rubbers. Take this season for example. From about mid-January every game we've had would be meaningless as the title had gone. I can't say I get excited about 'the fight for fourth' but at least there is some meaning and consequences to results.

This is a terrible idea that will destroy football. There isn't one positive thing in it for anyone other than the billionaire owners who will make a quick fortune out of it before eventually leaving a smouldering mess behind when it all crashes and burns.

• Upvote 6

I can only put that down to cutting off their nose to spite UEFA and the PL and the knobhead fans of all those other clubs cryarsing and giving it the "who do them scousers think they are?" spiel even though last time I checked, Boston isn't West Derby.

People can't genuinely think a Super League with no relegation is a good thing, surely?

• Upvote 1

As has been said, the hypocrisy angle is completely fine but not at the expense of acknowledging how bad of an idea this is.

You’re allowed to hate this thing and also point out the hypocrisy of those complaining about it.

If you’re using it as justification to go along with it though then give your fucking head a wobble.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I can’t believe that at this point a quarter of people on here are all for it.

The fuck?!

When the choice is between a shit-sandwich and a kick in the balls, it's not always clear-cut.

Football as we loved it died years ago and the game's  been getting worse year by year. Is the ESL way of getting worse going to be better or worse than the annual Battle of the Oil-States we'll soon be doomed to watch from the side-lines? Do we want a seat at or a place under the top table? 

I don't like it and hope it just ends up as a way of tweaking some better deal out of UEFA -preferably on FFP. But this is a million miles away from being a battle between Good and Evil. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dave u said:

I can only put that down to cutting off their nose to spite UEFA and the PL and the knobhead fans of all those other clubs cryarsing and giving it the "who do them scousers think they are?" spiel even though last time I checked, Boston isn't West Derby.

People can't genuinely think a Super League with no relegation is a good thing, surely?

The village at 7:30 this morning had more than a feeling of being Boston than before 

16 minutes ago, aws said:

When the choice is between a shit-sandwich and a kick in the balls, it's not always clear-cut.

Football as we loved it died years ago and the game's  been getting worse year by year. Is the ESL way of getting worse going to be better or worse than the annual Battle of the Oil-States we'll soon be doomed to watch from the side-lines? Do we want a seat at or a place under the top table? 

I don't like it and hope it just ends up as a way of tweaking some better deal out of UEFA -preferably on FFP. But this is a million miles away from being a battle between Good and Evil. 

For me, “it’s shit anyway so who cares if it gets shitter” is not a logical approach. Yes football is shit compared to what it was and 1993 ruined what we loved, to a degree.

This is 1993 on steroids though.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The village at 7:30 this morning had more than a feeling of being Boston than before 

All we want is some Peace of Mind but it's been such a Long Time. I wonder what John Henry has been Smokin' over there? 

• Upvote 1

It's only at times like this that you realise American business types don't really think like us, they kind of just see the bottom line and everything else is window dressing and pleasantries. Have you ever had a job interview with one?

"Nice to meet you - how are you?"

"How am I? <does not compute> I'm good, I'm good, your question was really interesting." 

1 hour ago, aws said:

I can't argue with any of that Andrew and I think my only real big issue with this is the closed shop aspect of it. A breakaway tournament telling UEFA to stick it up their arse could be a good thing if it was done right. Finals in stadiums that hold 90,000 and the two clubs get 10,000 each? Fuck UEFA.

But it's scandalous and unworkable that 15 of the 20 will be in no matter what. The arrogance of that is astounding. Fair enough, Real and Barca qualify for the CL every year without fail anyway so I can see why they'd feel entitled to be a 'staple' but fuck me, it's utterly incomprehensible that the others - specially Arsenal and Spurs! - have the brass neck to think they should be in it every year regardless.

How do you then pick the other five? If I'm Leicester and i get an invite for finishing 3rd in the PL (above most of the 'founder members') and get the opportunity to play in it for a season, and in doing so snubbing whatever competition UEFA are still running, why the fuck am I going for that deal?

The likes of Porto and Ajax too. They probably think "good, start your own league and then rest of us have a chance at winning something again". As if they're going to accept these patronising little invitations to spend a year as a guest of the big boys in their league before being kicked out again.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I bristle at a lot of the criticism being thrown at 'the club' (these cunt owners aren't the clubs) as well as the mass hypocrisy of some of those doing the throwing. We have to look beyond that though as there is a much bigger picture.

Tthis will basically kill football if it happens. It's not just the teams not involved who will be screwed over by it, it will be shit for us as well.

The reason games against Real Madrid are special is because they don't come around very often and because you have to earn the right to play them.

It will quickly become boring, as will most other games both in the ESL and the PL because unless you're in with a good chance of winning the title then there's no stakes involved and games will just be dead rubbers. Take this season for example. From about mid-January every game we've had would be meaningless as the title had gone. I can't say I get excited about 'the fight for fourth' but at least there is some meaning and consequences to results.

This is a terrible idea that will destroy football. There isn't one positive thing in it for anyone other than the billionaire owners who will make a quick fortune out of it before eventually leaving a smouldering mess behind when it all crashes and burns.

I quite agree, I'm not a fan of this new league and I hate the idea of abandoning the Champions League (even if we aren't going to be in it next season). But the self-righteous hysteria and abuse coming our way, I like even less. And it IS directed at US, not just the owners. Been reading the usual shite the haters spout about us, now it has even more intensity. 

What was the outcry like when the expanded European cup was proposed. I remember being totally against it myself. I even called a phone in on channel 5 that is how outraged I was. 

Difficult to judge the overall outcry due to different media and coverage. I also get this was a UEFA sanctioned expansion so different.

3 hours ago, Brownie said:

I can’t believe that at this point a quarter of people on here are all for it.

The fuck?!

I genuinely thought I’d be the only person who voted in the ‘for’ column and thought it’d be funny. In all seriousness I’d be more up for a full restructuring from top to bottom across the board with wage caps, strict budgets, real homegrown quotas and drafts etc and make it a real competitive sport but that will literally never happen.

The cunts debating it on a weeknight league game from their expensive subscription service tv studio can get to fuck though.

18 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I genuinely thought I’d be the only person who voted in the ‘for’ column and thought it’d be funny. In all seriousness I’d be more up for a full restructuring from top to bottom across the board with wage caps, strict budgets, real homegrown quotas and drafts etc and make it a real competitive sport but that will literally never happen.

The cunts debating it on a weeknight league game from their expensive subscription service tv studio can get to fuck though.

Absolutely with you on that. Some absolute cunts trying to make themselves look decent on the back of this, they can get to fuck.

It won’t happen, it’s just a power play to give the richest clubs more of a say (and more of the money) over the running of European competition, and for the PL clubs to pressure the rest of the PL to do likewise in terms of the PL. It will probably work as well because you could see Steve Parish thinking fuck that when Neville was saying the other PL clubs should kick these six out. He knows where his bread is buttered and that other the 14 clubs in the PL ride on the popularity of Liverpool, the Mancs and Arsenal.

3 hours ago, Brownie said:

For me, “it’s shit anyway so who cares if it gets shitter” is not a logical approach. Yes football is shit compared to what it was and 1993 ruined what we loved, to a degree.

This is 1993 on steroids though.

I do care if it gets shitter. But it will get shitter one way or the other. The question for me is which shitty conclusion is least bad for us as I'd like to be still supporting a reasonably successful team in ten years' time. And you'll have to forgive me for putting our interests above everybody else because there's not one excluded club who wouldn't kill for an invitation and the null and void hilarity last year just emphasised how little concern other clubs have for us.  

Football is adapting at the highest level because if it doesn't only clubs with unlimited funds will be able to compete in the medium/long term and the COVID crisis has exposed how stretched a lot of the top clubs really are as they are forced to pay players tens of millions every year. I can see it going one of three ways:

1. Something like this ESL proposal. We don't have full details but whatever is on the table will get amended in discussions with the football authorities because nobody really wants to go to war. The proposal is supposed to guarantee that far more money will trickle down to the other clubs than happens now and maybe that will get firmed up. We need to see how the other five places in the league get filled every year but as I've posted before it may well be that in England the non-ESL clubs in practice have a better chance of getting in the CL than they do now (once in a blue moon). I agree with Dave's point that the non-relegation aspect is arrogant and unacceptable but I can see that being softened (but only a bit and only after an initial period). 

2. Status quo with UEFA's revamped CL. This doesn't tackle the problem of the oil states, oligarchs and money launderers perverting the competition. Once the Saudis buy Newcastle and start waving their huge money dick around the other oil states won't want to be left out. If we had proper FFP then I'd be happy with this.  If we don't then I'm undecided if this is better than the ESL. I'm not going to enjoy watching corrupt/ sugar daddy clubs win everything.  

3. Option 1 above with us not in the ESL. Might make us feel holy but probably the worst of all worlds.