You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

Guest Alex_K
4 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

This is important. Aren’t Barca like seriously screwed at the moment? Like really really seriously?

Yes. Juventus too. All sorts of bond obligations on the horizon. I do not think UEFA/media conglomerates will give up their cash cow, and I do not think the Founding 12 will forego demands to their share of the pie and control of regulation, so I do not think this will go away.

3 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

So what's gained from including Man City, Chelsea, and probably PSG? Their "legacy" fanbase is limited enough. They're politically toxic. So, if you're not going to allow them to spend obscene amounts...? 

I don't know if you can exclude the oil clubs and still expect to sell the "product" to oil countries.  It's unpalatable to say, very unpalatable, but the reality is they have already bought their seats at the top table.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Nothing we didn't know. I hate most fans in this country with their agro towards us. I hate Tyler with his blatant dislike for us.

You know what I hate most though. These greedy bastards taking my club away from me. Puting us in a league I ethically can't stand and then see the club moved to Seoul or Mumbai when they realise that's more profitable than a half filled Anfield just like franchises in the NFL. I hate me begrudging parents taking their kids to Anfield for an ESL game if the club even stays there because that is wrong.

I actually don't give a fuck about what Tyler or other fans think of us, and whether they hate us.

I hate whoever of "us" is agreeing and proposing to do this to us.

I'm sure the MCG here where I live can draw 100,000 people for a Liverpool/Real Madrid Super League clash.  

But, that can go and fuck itself.

1 minute ago, Moo said:

I don't know if you can exclude the oil clubs and still expect to sell the "product" to oil countries.  It's unpalatable to say, very unpalatable, but the reality is they have already bought their seats at the top table.

Sportswashing successful... 

6 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Sportswashing successful... 

Gary Neville effectively said tonight it won’t happen because City won’t need the extra cash, their priority is image globally. Probably accurate.

So, football is saved so political opponents can still get tortured in Saudi Arabia.

Yay. Up the red birds!

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Yes. Juventus too. All sorts of bond obligations on the horizon. I do not think UEFA/media conglomerates will give up their cash cow, and I do not think the Founding 12 will forego demands to their share of the pie and control of regulation, so I do not think this will go away.

I think there will be a compromise.  A bigger tournament than proposed with more wildcards, new governance and more control for the clubs.

Basically the CL with guaranteed places for 50% of the clubs and spending limits on all.  And maybe even keeping UEFA involved with the use of the trophy.

At least I hope so but who the fuck knows really.

7 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

So what's gained from including Man City, Chelsea, and probably PSG? Their "legacy" fanbase is limited enough. They're politically toxic. So, if you're not going to allow them to spend obscene amounts...? 

They've essentially bought themselves a seat at the table with the money they have, so instead of just freezing them out and running risk of them trying to fund some sort of competition or even just continuing to inflate wages from outside they're bringing them in. I'd much prefer if they had some historic clubs like Ajax, Celtic, Rangers, Red Star etc in it in place of those 3 and Spurs but the sad truth is that those clubs haven't been anywhere near financially competitive enough for some time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I'd much prefer if they had some historic clubs like Ajax, Celtic, Rangers, Red Star etc in it in place of those 3 and Spurs but the sad truth is that those clubs haven't been anywhere near financially competitive enough for some time.

They'd be pretty financially competitive after being given a few billion and joining the ESL. 

6 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Those fucking Leeds shirts all over the press! Sorry to repeat myself, but... 

Leeds ownership: 63% sports media rights proprietor; 37% NFL team. 

Obviously a purely ethical concern on their part. 

That was a pathetic, pandering display on their part, knowing the public would be on their side. Delighted Klopp called them out on it.

• Upvote 1

I think that statement from Perez means fuck all really, they all signed the contracts sure but they could decide to dissolve the league if a mutually beneficial and better received alternative was put forward. That's basically just him saying that these 12 are solidified in this stance and will be negotiated with as a block or not at all.

2 minutes ago, Aventus said:

They'd be pretty financially competitive after being given a few billion and joining the ESL. 

I agree with that but again the only one there was ever a shot at not making it was Spurs. City, Chelsea, and PSG if/when they decide to join were always getting a seat at the table.

Honestly though if it does go ahead I would invite all of those teams mentioned to the inaugural season to make up the numbers but despite the posturing it's very early days.

4 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Gary Neville effectively said tonight it won’t happen because City won’t need the extra cash, their priority is image globally. Probably accurate.

So, football is saved so political opponents can still get tortured in Saudi Arabia.

Yay. Up the red birds!

Haha, if City not needing the money is the reason it wouldn't go ahead then people really do need to stop and think about this a bit more before joining in the outrage.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Moo said:

Haha, if City not needing the money is the reason it wouldn't go ahead then people really do need to stop and think about this a bit more before joining in the outrage.

I think old Gary very much underestimates the egoism at play with City's owners at well. Sure sports-washing is part of the game but if He thinks they don't want to be gambling in the high rollers section he's a naive moron.