Quantcast
New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up - Page 40 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
TheDrowningMan

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I've seen it mentioned that FIFA are prepared to ban any player who's participated in it from playing for their national team. A lot like the Kerrie Packer cricket circus.

That was UEFA and ceferin talking about banning players wasnt it? I was under the impression FIFA were a bit more circumspect.

Leeds United - 63% owned by a sports media rights proprietor and 37% owned by the San Francisco fucking 49ers - adopting the moral high ground? Player t-shirts, seating banners, fans outside the ground... fucking airplane banners! Totally spontaneous moral outrage! Give me a break. 

Not one English club has refused an ESL offer. And not one would. Certainly not Leeds fucking United.

It's an absolute shit show. But the hypocrisy is something to behold... 

• Upvote 4

I thought Carra was great tonight in confronting head on the claims of hypocrisy regarding him working for Sky. The abuse off some on here is nothing short of disgraceful to a modern club legend. It’s fashionable on here but you can fuck off. Disagreeing about what he says about a match doesn’t warrant the personal attacks. He did more for the club than you ever will, and as someone who lives local I’m constantly hearing non publicised stories about how he goes above and beyond for the community.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I thought Carra was great tonight in confronting head on the claims of hypocrisy regarding him working for Sky. The abuse off some on here is nothing short of disgraceful to a modern club legend. It’s fashionable on here but you can fuck off. Disagreeing about what he says about a match doesn’t warrant the personal attacks. He did more for the club than you ever will, and as someone who lives local I’m constantly hearing non publicised stories about how he goes above and beyond for the community.

What was his response to claims of hypocrisy? A guy who made millions out of a breakaway English super league? And now works for the media company that made that possible? 

This bullshit started in '92. Make no mistake. 

Just now, Josef Svejk said:

What was his response to claims of hypocrisy? A guy who made millions out of a breakaway English super league? And now works for the media company that made that possible? 

Basically yes. And how these simplistic moronic accusations clearly hurt him. Mainly that the competitive element was still there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

He held his hand up and recognised it. Fair play to him.

Neville did not.

• Upvote 2

I suspect FSG wil back down, but they have a valid point.  Either we want a competitive team or we don't.  They can't afford to do that while Oman City and Chelski and P$G get to do what they like with the billions at their disposal. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Reckoner said:

Basically yes. And how these simplistic moronic accusations clearly hurt him. Mainly that the competitive element was still there.

I loved Carragher as a player. And mostly like him as a pundit. But he clearly serves the Sky agenda on this, intentionally or otherwise. And that agenda was embarrassingly apparent tonight. 

7 minutes ago, J-V said:

Final if you class Monaco and Porto as little Clubs compared to the other Major ones.  That will never happen again in the CL.

Well something similar could still happen as there will be five non-founding member spaces each year (not good, should be more) which is barely getting a mention.

And your example, once in 30 years and before the likes of Abramovic and state-owned clubs.  Let's face it, it wasn't likely to happen again anyway unless the little clubs get bought out by mega billionaires, further distorting this precious pyramid.

Just to be clear I'm not particularly in favour of this, especially the number of clubs and format.  But I am against the near-hysterial overreaction to it by hypocrites and bandwagon jumpers.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think the structure of the game needs ripping up and starting again from scratch. 

If anything, fewer games. Smaller European competitions. Resurrect the domestic Cup competitions. Incentivise them. Make a cup win have more benefit than a top 4 finish. Give Champions League places to the title winner and maybe the runner up. And another one to the domestic cup winner. Bang the League Cup winner in the Europa or maybe a CL qualifier with a guaranteed Europa place. 

A lot of this comes from the creation of the Champions League. Some clubs rely on that money to compete. When there's other clubs who don't need the CL money and can then dominate when a team that does doesn't qualify for the CL, it's a natural reaction and progression that clubs with a big pulling power will look for other ways to remain competitive. 

The game is fucked up and needs to change. 

Thing is, of the major European leagues, only England has two domestic cup competitions. France recently ended their 'league cup' and as far as I know only scotland is similar to England in that respect.

In Europe, nation's FA Cup equivalent is a midweek competition in most countries, rounds played over 2 legs and more often than not, 2nd string teams. There's a reason the Cup Winners Cup was dropped by UEFA and it wasnt just to fit the Champions League in. It was seen as the weaker of the 3 European competitions albeit more prestigeous than the Fairs \ UEFA Cup.

England is just about catching up with Europe as far as marginalising the FA Cup is concerned.

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I suspect FSG wil back down, but they have a valid point.  Either we want a competitive team or we don't.  They can't afford to do that while Oman City and Chelski and P$G get to do what they like with the billions at their disposal. 

I would agree with them. If City and PSG weren't invited to the party. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

I would agree with them. If City and PSG weren't invited to the party. 

But aren't they invited on the basis their spending will be curtailed?

46 minutes ago, Judge said:

99,99% of the football world is against this soul-less, greedy, capitalist project. 

The one exception: this forum. Fantastic.

I wouldn't say that this forum isn't against it?

It's more about the hypocrisy of certain people/organisation's presenting themselves as these white knights riding in to save our game, when they have been a big part of the problem for many years.   

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Really? I must have missed Fulham getting to the quarter final of the Champion’s League and pushing City all the way in the title race. The little clubs have been prioritising getting in the money leagues and fielding shit teams in cups for years. The little clubs are no different - they’re just trying to put their noses in different troughs.

Truth be told I don’t want this, but I’ve just about had my fill of being called a Scouse murderer, wall pusher, and cunts insinuating we killed our own fans at Hillsborough. Even by people sharing the same city. And even though we’re the first to supply other club’s food bank collections when they need it. So if it was pushed through and these fuckers withered and died, I’d have little sympathy. And I’ll be fucked if I’m going to be lectured to by hypocritical twats like Sky and Gary Neville.

This.

1 minute ago, Moo said:

How about they're told to fuck off and proper European clubs like Ajax and Sevilla are invited instead?

• Upvote 1

The funniest thing that could happen is if the 15 clubs eventually stop playing in their domestic leagues, and every other league becomes a second division to the ESL's top flight. And then instead of transfers between themselves they'd just have a draft where the teams just pick the best players from the other smaller clubs all around the world every year to add to their squads. It would be legitimately hilarious if football just  became like an American sport. You'd all spontaneously combust.

If I was a newbie on this forum I would have started a thread outlining that idea. Top, top trolling opportunity that would have been.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Again, to his credit Carragher said that as a matter of principle he could not be involved in the proposed ESL. Neville did not.

If Neville (and most of his Sky tv cronies) were offered cushy gigs by the ESL broadcasters the they'd be up there like rats up a drainpipe.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wouldn't say that this forum isn't against it?

It's more about the hypocrisy of certain people/organisation's presenting themselves as these white knights riding in to save our game, when they have been a big part of the problem for many years.   

I'm completely against it. It sounds boring as hell as well as totally unjust. 

4 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I loved Carragher as a player. And mostly like him as a pundit. But he clearly serves the Sky agenda on this, intentionally or otherwise. And that agenda was embarrassingly apparent tonight. 

I may be naive mate, but I couldn’t disagree more with that agenda point.

A lot of people have tried to sound clever regarding the 1992 point. He faced it head on. Sky have a lot to lose, but if this happens the TV rights have to be sold to someone remember, and Sky would be in pole position.

I hate sounding like a bot defending fucking Sky of all people! But I’ve long been impressed with the honesty shown in MNF post match discussions. Tonight was good.

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Exactly, the clubs will make their own FFP rules and be free to chuck them out of the biggest prestige competition in town.  They can spend all they like and just win the PL, when everyone will see them chucked out of the ESL for not playing fairly.  They will conform or be exposed.  It's basically the big old clubs doing the job that UEFA wouldn't do.  You have to applaud that. But the media don't want to mention this.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

How about they're told to fuck off and proper European clubs like Ajax and Sevilla are invited instead?

There’s nothing stopping them being invited as it is.  The idea of having Coty etc in it was to actually keep them to FFP not the bollocks UEFA did or didn’t actually do.

You’ve got loads of people in here crying about these chest clubs being in the semis yet the same people are in tears over this.

Uefa had the chance they tucked up.  Sky had the chance they fucked over the fans and made themselves and a bunch of other cunts rich whilst destroying clubs along the way.  Fuck them.

1 minute ago, Reckoner said:

I may be naive mate, but I couldn’t disagree more with that agenda point.

A lot of people have tried to sound clever regarding the 1992 point. He faced it head on. Sky have a lot to lose, but if this happens the TV rights have to be sold to someone remember, and Sky would be in pole position.

I hate sounding like a bot defending fucking Sky of all people! But I’ve long been impressed with the honesty shown in MNF post match discussions. Tonight was good.

The reaction by Sky makes it pretty clear that they won't be involved. It's probably why they are so angry about it!

I would expect that the clubs will either stream it through their own websites/tv channels or they will create some form of Super League Netflix subscription service?

• Upvote 1

I remember up in Scotland years ago when it seemed like every summer that both Celtic and Rangers were threatening to bin off the Scottish laegue and go it alone. Every time they'd win some concession, often money based, and the threat was staved off for another year or so.

I loved it when the other teams had finally had enough and called the Old Firm's bluff, every other team resigning from the league thus leaving Celtic and Rangers in a league of two. Genius, those 2 Glasgow giants soon came crawling back to the table, tails between their legs.