You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Yep. The greed angle has been around for ages. Let's remind ourselves that we support a club that charges us for the privilege of having a negligible chance of buying a ticket for our home games. Not charges us just for the ticket, but for the opportunity to buy a ticket. 

The greed ship has already sailed off into the horizon. 

Enough is enough? The game has changed but the general structure has not. This changes that.

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Mine isn't, as much as I agree with his general points on this.

Firstly, he started digging out people on the streets of Liverpool yesterday, as if our owners are from West Derby. 

Secondly, he works for a company who started all of this back in 1993 so, you know....

What do you mean started digging people out?

And as for the second point, pack it in 

If sky tv won a contract to show these games and said to neville we want you to co comentate, here's another million to your wedge, he'd sign up quicker than you could say whale shit.

He's just been on a clip on sky ranting off then throws in yeah Ive poured money into Salford City blah, blah, blah. So it's just a question of degrees isnt it Gaz? And if someone waved enough cash under your nose to buy out the 'class of 92' or whatever the fuck you call yourselves at Salford, you'd snatch their fucking hand off.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

What do you mean started digging people out?

And as for the second point, pack it in 

Pack what in? Football should be on free to air TV, there shouldn't be as much money in the game as there is. We're only at this point because of what Sky started in 1993. 

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

If sky tv won a contract to show these games and said to neville we want you to co comentate, here's another million to your wedge, he'd sign up quicker than you could say whale shit.

He's just been on a clip on sky ranting off then throws in yeah Ive poured money into Salford City blah, blah, blah. So it's just a question of degrees isnt it Gaz? And if someone waved enough cash under your nose to buy out the 'class of 92' or whatever the fuck you call yourselves at Salford, you'd snatch their fucking hand off.

Exactly. We're all hypocrites to a degree but he's taking the fucking biscuit, him.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

We should do what we do best. Organise, and act. Look at what we did to H&G. We can do that again.

Assuming fans are allowed back in August, we walk out. Or don't turn up. We protest and force change. 

We don't shrug our shoulders and say "oh well, best to move with the times".

Totally agree but this is different as the other two had no money and didn’t care, this lot have money are looking at a lot more money and don’t give a shit.

Fans will still back them, be naming all the players we can buy etc etc. We could force them to turn around like ticket prices and furlough, I would be all for it.

I’m still hoping it’s a game the clubs are playing to force UEFA hands. Not sure though.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Sounds tremendously unfair on other non-league clubs that a group of nouveau-rich Sky-era, ex-Premier League pros and their Singaporean billionaire associate should waltz in and artificially make a Football League side out of one that had never previously touched that status.

Sounds like something Hotel Gary Neville would be dead set against. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Enough is enough? The game has changed but the general structure has not. This changes that.

I agree. I'm against the proposals, to clarify. But, I think it's a bit cheap and hypocritical of some to talk about greed. And, I also have a feeling that greed might not be the only financial factor at play in a post-covid world. I think some of the participants in the ESL may have genuine fears of going to the wall, or no longer being able to compete at the top table. 

29 minutes ago, dave u said:

Because greed, capitalism, chronyism and the rich looking after themselves and shitting on everyone else is just not on, right Boris?

There is a phrase - fari vagnari u pizzu  which means wet your beak. The mafia always want their cut and his boys haven't had a piece. Johnson is playing the role of the beakwetter and all-round Tory cunt. 

He is a populist and I wouldn't be surprised if he throws a spanner in the works. 

In other news - Theresa Mays former spin doctor is working for  this new league. So the European Super League means the European Super League. 

For this to work, UEFA is shown the door, ceases to exist. 

That probably has serious ramifications for the Dutch, French, Russian and German teams that qualify every year.  they come to the ESL for admittance cap in hand. 

The ESL clubs then agree with the PL that one place goes to the highest placed other PL team each year.

The ESL clubs are then 'taxed' (like Uncle Junior taxed Hesh) so that they redistribute, say, 15% of their ESL income (on top of their PL income) to the PL so it can be passed down the pyramid. 

Within 3 years ESL 2 is established to allow one more English team, the Glasgow clubs and various other European teams entry. 

The difficulty will be the contractual liabilities of the PL, La Liga and Serie A to UEFA. The ESL will need to buy off UEFA for a sufficient amount to allow it just to disappear and pay off its liabilities to advertisers.  That might make the ESL financially unviable.

There'll be no more European cup.

The PL will go along with this if UEFA can be bought off. 

That's the best case scenario. I don't know how FIFA will fit into it all. 

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I agree. I'm against the proposals, to clarify. But, I think it's a bit cheap and hypocritical of some to talk about greed. And, I also have a feeling that greed might not be the only financial factor at play in a post-covid world. I think some of the participants in the ESL may have genuine fears of going to the wall, or no longer being able to compete at the top table. 

How is it cheap and hypocritical of fans to talk about greed? We're the victims of it. People will put up with things but there comes a point where enough is enough.

Within the body of this article, Spirit of Shankly clearly speak out against it. Yes on Twitter, we are the only club not to feature on supporter outrage. Now, if you were just glancing at this, you'd think we were absent from our criticism and no doubt getting slagged by all and sundry. Take a look at the tweet below. This is deliberate. It's not accidental. And it's just indicative of how we've become everyones whipping boy. 

57 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Nah, this isn't comparable to 1993 when we got left behind. This fundamentally changes everything.

1993 was a re-brand, this is a re-structure. League games mean nothing.

The league is the league, I don't see how this changes that.  If anything ticket prices for league games will reduce, and resting players for the ESL would not be a big issue as we would always be in it?

I want to see more homegrown players in the league, it should be mandatory.  And then perhaps a truly fair league would emerge. 

The sharing of TV money is a joke.  It's enabling smaller clubs to do daft things way beyond their means.  Wolves signed Fabio Silva for £35m.  Wolverhampton.  Rather than invest in centres of excellence they do that. Because they want to a short cut to being a bit club.  

How much money a week is Joelinton costing Newcastle?  

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

The league is the league, I don't see how this changes that.  If anything ticket prices for league games will reduce, and resting players for the ESL would not be a big issue as we would always be in it?

I want to see more homegrown players in the league, it should be mandatory.  And then perhaps a truly fair league would emerge. 

The sharing of TV money is a joke.  It's enabling smaller clubs to do daft things way beyond their means.  Wolves signed Fabio Silva for £35m.  Wolverhampton.  Rather than invest in centres of excellence they do that. Because they want to a short cut to being a bit club.  

How much money a week is Joelinton costing Newcastle?  

If you have no chance of winning the league, then what is the point in it? Take your Liverpool kit off for a second and think about it.

What is the point?

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

If you have no chance of winning the league, then what is the point in it? Take your Liverpool kit off for a second and think about it.

What is the point?

What was the point before top 4 became the be all and end all?  

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

What is the point?

10 teams have won the English league title in the last 40 years. That’s an awful lot of clubs whose existence is apparently pointless.