You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

I think the biggest fear for football, the football press and other clubs and fans, is that when you take away the top clubs from the footy fixtures there isn't a lot left to get excited about. 

Call us bin dippers, make crushing gestures, laugh at another VAR shafting, but whatever you do, don't take your money with you.

• Upvote 9

7 minutes ago, Stickman said:

There's been some hypocritical shite being pumped out by ex-players and the media over this but top of the pile is that fat slug Martin Samuel who comes out with this gem in his column. Which is all the more ironic seeing as he has championed the most plastic club of them all in Man City, 

To be fair he could be describing City

A plastic competition, watched by plastic fans, of plastic clubs. Forget the past, forget the Busby Babes, or the treble, forget Istanbul, or the doubles. These might as well be new clubs, in a new league, and newly moulded, in plastic. 

Might be hypocritical but he's 100 percent right. 

I just wish they'd starr referring to the owners instead of Liverpool.  It's those cunts behind this.  They're not Liverpool football club and never will be. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Might be hypocritical but he's 100 percent right. 

I just wish they'd starr referring to the owners instead of Liverpool.  It's those cunts behind this.  They're not Liverpool football club and never will be. 

Super League's Liverpool franchise.

Probably end up six English teams in the CL, more games and more money involved to appease them, make sure AC Milan qualify every year and give Juventus more cash so they dont have to sack more FIAT workers. Then they will make the likes of Ajax, Celtic and Anderlecht play another qualifying round. 

The same Bluto that bigged up Chelsea under Roman then moved his love to City now crying its all gone plastic. 

He followed the money and buffet table to whatever clubs would sort him out. 

Anyway how hasn't that cunt been cancelled for sexually harassment of Olive Oyl yet

• Upvote 1

I'd imagine that we'd likely still play in the Premier League and that the threat to kick clubs out of domestic competitions is more a case of UEFA being panicked and showing all their cards early. 

But, the fact that our owners have even put us in a position where such an outcome is possible is a dereliction of duty which should worry us all. As is their cold, calculated willingness to play a part in totally devaluing the European Cup and, in the process, taking a massive, steaming piss over the legacy of our club in a competition that has been our baby and brought us so many joyous memories. 

Having slept on this news from last night, I've woke pretty fucking appalled at the owners of OUR football club. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

I think the biggest fear for football, the football press and other clubs and fans, is that when you take away the top clubs from the footy fixtures there isn't a lot left to get excited about. 

Call us bin dippers, make crushing gestures, laugh at another VAR shafting, but whatever you do, don't take your money with you.

Yep. It’s essentially an admission that, without these clubs, football across Europe is in a terrible place. It begs the question - why are so many clubs run so badly that they can barely survive under optimal conditions, let alone when they take a hit? Then, why are the clubs who keep it all afloat denied greater autonomy over their TV deals etc, votes etc? I’m fairly sure that some of these “doomsday” scenarios would actually see more money pumped into the “pyramid”.

If it’s about being denied, as the Premier League said in its statement, the “dream” of your club rising to the top then you’d surely realise upon waking that unless your club wins the billionaire buy-out lottery that it’s never going to happen. How good for the integrity of the game is that?

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The same Bluto that bigged up Chelsea under Roman then moved his love to City now crying its all gone plastic. 

He followed the money and buffet table to whatever clubs would sort him out. 

Anyway how hasn't that cunt been cancelled for sexually harassment of Olive Oyl yet

Yeah, his naval gazing over the unfairness of FFP said it all about his motives.

Just because UEFA, FIFA, PL, the FA etc. are a bunch of cunts, doesn't mean this is good or right in my view. I think FSG have made a terrible mistake, and whilst last night it was posturing as a negotiation tactic, pronouncements last night & today are more than that. The damage is done. 

I don't actually care about the greed. Football has crossed that bridge a long time a go. I care about the game, from grass roots to the top, it should be the same game. Closed shops aren't that. 

I've been fairly on board with the FSG model. They're frugal, I get that, they want the club to live within it's own means, fair enough. It's a better model than Qatar. But they are also meant to be the stewards of the brand, the culture & the history of the club. They've fucked up before, but IMHO this is crossing the Rubicon. 

Folks talk about smaller clubs inhibiting bigger clubs from doing what they want (whilst simultaneously gurning about stopping smaller clubs from doing what they want with ticket prices when big clubs come to town). But if it wasn't for those same clubs, LFC wouldn't be what it is. We wouldn't have bought Andy Robertson from Hull. We wouldn't have won league titles, or European Cups. It's an eco system, there are synergies. 

I think turning your back on that, and yes, that's how I'm reading it, is abhorrent in a sporting context (yes, there are worse things in life).

I'd throw the book (all the books) at them. Huge point deductions this season to basically ensure none of them qualify for anything. I'd be handing the FA Cup over to Leicester, and stripping Man City of the League Cup. I'd be awarding the European Cup to Fucking PSG (of all fucking cunts) on the basis the other three are in this shit up to their oxsters. 

And then there is next season. I'd turf them all out of both the PL & the FA - they wouldn't qualify for the CL of course due to said points deduction. They can start their basketball roadshow early. 

People say that sponsors won't like that... well good. The Clubs can sit down & start cutting their own cloth to match their needs. Football has been a bubble waiting to burst for years, now the Clubs and the authorities have the chance to control it (to a degree). The chance to return the country's national sport to an even keel. 

Oh but all the best players will leave... they can't all go play for 16 clubs. There will still be quality about. The league will probably be more competitive and entertaining as a consequence. It'll have a breath of fresh air actually. The inevitable march of Qatar FC to the title 4 seasons in 5 gone... 

As for the Gov't intervening, yeah, I'm all down with that. Someone said that Gov't interference is strictly prohibited by FIFA / UEFA. I'm sure FIFA / UEFA would be happy to see these clubs lose their membership. And after that, all is fair in my book. 

Club Ownership rules changed would be tremendous, though can't see that happening soon. I'd withdraw police services, making it impossible for councils to licence full attendances, maybe withdraw their liquor licences, etc. loads of petty small things which make it harder, if not impossible to do business. 

I'd create a new tax bracket for employees of the Companies involved in "The Super League". 99% tax above average national wages. Lets see how many want to work/play for FSG FC if the wedge isn't coming home. 

Fuck it, this isn't in the national interest... if the Gov't said they wanted to put sanctions on the companies involved, I'd be all for that too. There is no lever I wouldn't pull to punish the cunts involved. 

Maybe it'd accelerate them shipping out of the country. Oh well. Fuck them. Fuck FSG. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Aventus said:

I got a bit upset thinking about this.

The history and pride we have with that trophy, potentially just throwing that away for something soulless, it's like cheating on your wife of 40 years with a cheap brass.

Imagine if Hendo lifting big ears was potentially the last ever time.

What's your point here?

Good summary....

Shared from Declan Tanner this is largely spot on.

So I've been ruminating about this European Super League (ESL) all afternoon. It's a truly dreadful idea; it takes away any pretense of competition from the upper echelons of the game, further consolidates power in the hands of a cabal of elite clubs, prevents clubs from building themselves up to challenge for glory, and could be a death knell for top flight clubs not in the ESL due to their increasing over reliance on TV cash which would evaporate if the biggest clubs left the league.

It's a repugnant idea which should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

However, I've noticed that the likes of the FA, the Premier League, UEFA and FIFA have been quick to wail about the ESL, complaining about a "closed shop" and an attack on "the principles of open competition and sporting merit", while prominent pundits on Sky Sports have similarly railed against the idea. I find this newfound concern for the game to be a huge issue of contention for me.

The problem with this is that the ESL is the logical conclusion of three decades of money and power grabbing by prominent clubs, leagues, football associations, governing bodies, and broadcasting firms. The FA were perfectly happy to collaborate with the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United to wrestle the English top flight away from the Football League to gain power and riches, creating a league so awash with broadcasting cash that it's distorted not just the English league pyramid, but other European leagues which lose their best players at younger and younger ages.

But the troughs were full for the FA, the Premier League, and Sky, so why care about the myriad of problems such riches have caused?

Around the same time, UEFA decided to listen to then Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi and rebrand the European Cup as the Champions League, with more and more placements for the biggest clubs from the biggest and most powerful leagues at the expense of clubs from leagues which would once give any club from the big leagues a run for their money. Former finalists and winners such as Steaua Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, Panathinaikos and Malmo are now reduced to cannon fodder for the superclubs, if they manage to play through a multitude of qualifying rounds which are heavily weighted against them.

The Champions League has distorted the shape of European football beyond all recognition, placing a vast amount of wealth and power in the hands of clubs such as Real Madrid, Juventus and Bayern Munich. But the troughs were full for UEFA, Sky and other major broadcasters, so why care about the myriad of problems such riches have caused?

The only difference here is that power and money funnelled into the biggest clubs has allowed those clubs to outgrow the need and use of the leagues, football associations and governing bodies, allowing them to kick these organisations to the curb.

Even broadcasters are much more disposable than they once were, since they can be replaced much more easily than they would have been in the early 90s.

This is why these organisations have suddenly pretended to care; they're terrified of losing their own wealth and power.

All I can say to such organisations is that you reap what you sow. This ESL is a result of your own avarice, you have so much to answer for.

Supporters will rightfully be infuriated by the ESL and the devastating impact it will have on the sport, but they should never forget who's responsible for empowering these unscrupulous, because the blame is solely at your door.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

There have been other reports to the contrary.

Teams are: Liverpool, Man Utd, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Juventus, Inter, AC Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico.

No surprise to see City and PSG attempting to avoid it given the spending restrictions.

Tottenham? When did they become successful?

The way top level football is going I will bin it altogether and/or choose a FL club to follow. The greed in football now has gone too far for me to care.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Good summary....

Shared from Declan Tanner this is largely spot on.

So I've been ruminating about this European Super League (ESL) all afternoon. It's a truly dreadful idea; it takes away any pretense of competition from the upper echelons of the game, further consolidates power in the hands of a cabal of elite clubs, prevents clubs from building themselves up to challenge for glory, and could be a death knell for top flight clubs not in the ESL due to their increasing over reliance on TV cash which would evaporate if the biggest clubs left the league.

It's a repugnant idea which should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

However, I've noticed that the likes of the FA, the Premier League, UEFA and FIFA have been quick to wail about the ESL, complaining about a "closed shop" and an attack on "the principles of open competition and sporting merit", while prominent pundits on Sky Sports have similarly railed against the idea. I find this newfound concern for the game to be a huge issue of contention for me.

The problem with this is that the ESL is the logical conclusion of three decades of money and power grabbing by prominent clubs, leagues, football associations, governing bodies, and broadcasting firms. The FA were perfectly happy to collaborate with the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United to wrestle the English top flight away from the Football League to gain power and riches, creating a league so awash with broadcasting cash that it's distorted not just the English league pyramid, but other European leagues which lose their best players at younger and younger ages.

But the troughs were full for the FA, the Premier League, and Sky, so why care about the myriad of problems such riches have caused?

Around the same time, UEFA decided to listen to then Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi and rebrand the European Cup as the Champions League, with more and more placements for the biggest clubs from the biggest and most powerful leagues at the expense of clubs from leagues which would once give any club from the big leagues a run for their money. Former finalists and winners such as Steaua Bucharest, Red Star Belgrade, Panathinaikos and Malmo are now reduced to cannon fodder for the superclubs, if they manage to play through a multitude of qualifying rounds which are heavily weighted against them.

The Champions League has distorted the shape of European football beyond all recognition, placing a vast amount of wealth and power in the hands of clubs such as Real Madrid, Juventus and Bayern Munich. But the troughs were full for UEFA, Sky and other major broadcasters, so why care about the myriad of problems such riches have caused?

The only difference here is that power and money funnelled into the biggest clubs has allowed those clubs to outgrow the need and use of the leagues, football associations and governing bodies, allowing them to kick these organisations to the curb.

Even broadcasters are much more disposable than they once were, since they can be replaced much more easily than they would have been in the early 90s.

This is why these organisations have suddenly pretended to care; they're terrified of losing their own wealth and power.

All I can say to such organisations is that you reap what you sow. This ESL is a result of your own avarice, you have so much to answer for.

Supporters will rightfully be infuriated by the ESL and the devastating impact it will have on the sport, but they should never forget who's responsible for empowering these unscrupulous, because the blame is solely at your door.

I take issue with some of that - no club builds themselves up without super rich owners in today’s game and the league(s) would only be without the top clubs if they decided to expel them, but the crux of it, everything about the origins of this situation is absolutely correct.

Scrap the pre-Xmas EL games.

Double the size of the CL.

Depending on how the group stages work, the top placed sides go into the CL knock outs and a selection of the other sides go into the EL.

Greater revenue to the sides taking part.

So, to finish outside the initial group stages, you’d have to finish about 9th, which, let’s face it, is fucking pathetic and you don’t deserve to be in anything, so clubs should qualify anyway. 

It’d give extra incentive to cup competitions as well.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

The lying twats "We need to listen to what the fans want" no cunt wants this you fucking tory twats 

Millions of Asian, American & Africans will and that's where the pitch is being made, not me and thee on the terrces with a Bovril.

Individual production and streaming rights are the name of the game.

They'll be some collective distribution and production, but the end goal is individual rights that the club will negotiate, always has been the end game of our owners, at least. I'm pretty sure they're on record as saying this.

As other posters have said, we are Liverpool Football Club. We play in the English football pyramid. We qualify for Europe based on performance. Take that away and it’s downhill to Super Bowl 1 in  fucking Dubai or New York. Good luck getting the flags and banners and atmosphere going when the last proper fans are finally priced out. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The lying twats "We need to listen to what the fans want" no cunt wants this you fucking tory twats 

They are listening, only a small percentage of supporters are what we'd now define as local. Four billion or so globally, the majority won't care about the history or social connection with their communities.

I like watching the NFL, the local connection with a team means little to me. Teams are routinely relocated etc.

Anyone outside the "top six" has very little chance of qualifying for the champions League at the moment . If there is an extra spot or two going begging then what's the problem ? Uefa have pissed off the European royalty with FFP etc and now they're getting fucked off because of it . All this outrage blah blah , uefa and fifa are rotten to the core , so why aren't we outraged to be competing in the current club/ world competitions? All the poor cunts who've died or been forced into slave labour to build stadia  to host a world cup in the fucking desert ? 

• Upvote 2

I like the idea of wrestling the power away from FIFA, Uefa, premier League and Sky they collaborated to create this "super 12" by throwing money and power at them to get the Pl the Champions League and by increasing said league to top 4 etc basically to help these bigger club's who were struggling to qualify including us for a large chunk of the new format, but I don't agree with the idea of a were ok Jack fuck you philosophy eventually football becomes NFL and we have 45 breaks per game.

FSG need fucking for putting us in a position were we could lose points / lose European football, but same time if it happens if want Liverpool to be there hope that's made sense.

Had to laugh at David Bernstein on the news this morning: "some of these clubs have been badly managed and have overspent these last few years, and are in catastrophic debt."

Yeah, trying to keep up with the spending of the petroclubs mate, and you don't have anything to do with the arrival of them, do you?

"The beauty of football is that my club, Manchester City, could go from playing Gillingham to where we are now."

A fucking fairy story mate, I'm welling up here. The fucking brass neck of a fella who brokered the arrival of unlimited wealth concentrated into one club complaining about a scheme that'll concentrate massive wealth in the hands of 15-20 clubs is off the fucking charts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12