You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

Gary fucking Lineker can fuck off, whore’s himself out to BBC and BT, and sells shite crisps that make kids fat and clutter up the environment. Shite puns and doesn’t tell Shearer and Murphy their crap pundits. 

Jurgen Klopp didn’t make the decision but he’s copped the flak because the Bostonians were too busy spreadsheeting Ben Davies’ transfer fee. 

• Upvote 2

Cutting through all the noise from the corinthian spirit of the games guardians sky and the other media - there is of course a deeply complex story, largely created by exactly what that thread above says - money, greed and fear of being left behind/being unable to compete with cheats etc.

• 1 year later...

I’m not against top clubs ditching UEFA.

I was against the bollocks they tried to set this up last time.

IMO, get all clubs who qualify for Europe involved and get them to all ditch UEFA competitions. 

All the bigger clubs will get so much money from their own TV / sponsorship deals they will be able to more than adequately compensate clubs from Romoslavia or wherever and still handily turn a profit. 

72 teams. 
12 groups of 6.

Top 2 into CL knock outs (or top 32)

Middle 2 into UEFA Cup knock outs (or next 24)

Bottom 2 into Conference knock outs (or worst 16).

All teams guaranteed 12 matches. 

Not fully worked out the maths, but it’s easy. I don’t see the issue.

You're either on board with the idea of this league, club self governance in the sense that the clubs stamp on things such as ending self sponsorship, FFP breaches etc, etc and taking away control from UEFA and hopefully FIFA or, you're not.

I think we need a radical change in the way football is run, from ending FIFA's ridiculous organisation of the football calender, effectively stealing players from their clubs to stopping oil states and mega rich owners turning the game into F1 and ending FIFA confederations playing havoc with club football.

• Upvote 1

When Man City get off from the PL charges just like they did when uefa tried to nail them - FFP will be totally dead and the already grubby business of football will just become a total free for all where wherever the money comes from, or however it is generated simply won't matter. 

At that point and over a relatively short period of time anything will be possible IMO, including breakaways by clubs from domestic leagues, breakaways from uefa comps and clubs chasing huge prize money put up for tournaments in the middle east.

It's going to be absolute dog shit and will eventually eat itself, but for me that is where we are heading - the real starting pistol for it gathering pace will be when Man City walk all over the PL - every other big club in Europe will be just waiting, poised to say 'right they can get away with what they want' we are going to do same and there will be a very 'helpful' body of people to facilitate all offering all kinds of money for the selling of the clubs and the games soul.

Coming soon Man Utd v Real Madrid in Bahrain in the World Series of Football.....and so on and on....

21 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I’m not against top clubs ditching UEFA.

I was against the bollocks they tried to set this up last time.

IMO, get all clubs who qualify for Europe involved and get them to all ditch UEFA competitions. 

All the bigger clubs will get so much money from their own TV / sponsorship deals they will be able to more than adequately compensate clubs from Romoslavia or wherever and still handily turn a profit. 

72 teams. 
12 groups of 6.

Top 2 into CL knock outs (or top 32)

Middle 2 into UEFA Cup knock outs (or next 24)

Bottom 2 into Conference knock outs (or worst 16).

All teams guaranteed 12 matches. 

Not fully worked out the maths, but it’s easy. I don’t see the issue.

You think the big clubs will pay anything other than a pittance to those clubs to allow them to compete with them? Not a fuckin chance. What we have now with UEFA is as far as I will tolerate but any more of this shite and I'm done with it. 

I just can't believe we are taking sides with billionaires looking to carve up the game yet again. It can all fuck off.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You think the big clubs will pay anything other than a pittance to those clubs to allow them to compete with them? Not a fuckin chance. What we have now with UEFA is as far as I will tolerate but any more of this shite and I'm done with it. 

I just can't believe we are taking sides with billionaires looking to carve up the game yet again. It can all fuck off.

No but I think any changes to the CL will also have to be in the smaller clubs / leagues interests as well, otherwise they won’t get the support for it. 

I can see an American Sports model where standard league games are all fairly run of the mill (not dissimilar to the current CL) but “play off” matches become gigantic bucks in terms of additional advertising, streaming, match income etc. 

I don’t think it’s a case of taking sides etc will billionaires. The current CL format could be improved upon. More clubs want slices of the pie. It causes too dramatic influxes in income. 

I don’t have all (or likely) any of the answers. The whole thing needs a complete shake up. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's nothing wrong with the format of the champions league. The new one will be fucking shite though. 

Agree.

Its gone as far as it can go with the facade of competition. Any further changes are just to reinforce the power to the dozen or so mega clubs it was designed to benefit. They feel they have thrown enough crumbs to the peasants so now they want more. Greedy bastards(Liverpool included.)

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I sort of agree but the clubs who participate in it disagree.

By clubs do you mean absentee owners like our own who don't watch the games and only count the money and the only watching they do is of the capital value of their asset increase? Or do you mean fans like our own who see no issue with it? If you say what's wrong with the CL is it doesn't make billionaires even richer than they are now, I would agree with you. But as a sporting competition a 32 team tournament always feels like a good number to me and has a decent quality while still providing some room for up and coming teams. 

27 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

By clubs do you mean absentee owners like our own who don't watch the games and only count the money and the only watching they do is of the capital value of their asset increase? Or do you mean fans like our own who see no issue with it? If you say what's wrong with the CL is it doesn't make billionaires even richer than they are now, I would agree with you. But as a sporting competition a 32 team tournament always feels like a good number to me and has a decent quality while still providing some room for up and coming teams. 

Given clubs with fan elected presidents are championing for a change, I stick with my generic original view of "clubs".

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Given clubs with fan elected presidents are championing for a change, I stick with my generic original view of "clubs".

Just because the president is championing it, doesn't mean the fans want it. What about the German clubs, are they saying it needs changing too? Or the French? Dutch.... I could keep going. There's no fan demand for a changed format because the current one is broken. It's just a few greedy cunts. 

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Just because the president is championing it, doesn't mean the fans want it. What about the German clubs, are they saying it needs changing too? Or the French? Dutch.... I could keep going. There's no fan demand for a changed format because the current one is broken. It's just a few greedy cunts. 

It was gentle hint at I have zero interest in going down this road with you. 

• Upvote 1