You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

To what end though? In the case of our club the CEO didn't even know And I'd be shocked if our chairman attended PL meetings. And who do they think they'll be replaced with? Dig Jimmy hill up from the grave? They'll just replace them with more of their kind. It's complete bellendary to want this. I heard some prick saying "how can we trust them again". How about you can't. Do exactly what you always do, take care of your own club, take everything said by everyone else.with a pinch of salt and then vote in your own selfish interests. 

The clue is in no marks, they feel empowered and important, emotions completely alien to them, they are giddy and just want to demand things to play to the gallery and feed the hysteria that’s been whipped up by hypocritical bellends like Sky, UEFA, Parish, Neville and Carragher. Push too far and their will come a point when the big six bite back and then minds really will be focussed. You will only get away with pulling a tigers tail so many times

10 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The clue is in no marks, they feel empowered and important, emotions completely alien to them, they are giddy and just want to demand things to play to the gallery and feed the hysteria that’s been whipped up by hypocritical bellends like Sky, UEFA, Parish, Neville and Carragher. Push too far and their will come a point when the big six bite back and then minds really will be focussed. You will only get away with pulling a tigers tail so many times

Make no mistake, Parry piping up again this week about taking the best bits of Big Picture is no coincidence. Personally I think the EFL would open their arms wide to the big 6 and leave the 14 adrift on their own. 

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Make no mistake, Parry piping up again this week about taking the best bits of Big Picture is no coincidence. Personally I think the EFL would open their arms wide to the big 6 and leave the 14 adrift on their own. 

The big Six will need to have some back-up threat or they'll have no power at all and the 14 will nail them to the wall leaving only City and Chelsea laughing. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

John Henry wasn't fretting on Sunday either, it's why they threw klopp under a bus on Monday. It's because he just doesn't give a fuck, he believes it's his toy. I think as this last week has shown, not giving a fuck doesn't translate to competency. 

No argument from me on the first bit.

In terms of competency, I suppose that depends on how you choose to define it, or rather, in what context.

I could argue they've been very competent financially.

They've been very competent with bringing Klopp in, and getting Michael Edwards to do the transfer deals.

They've been competent with the Anfield expansion, and our commercial revenue.

I don't think you'll argue that they're mugs.

There's definitely an angle here.

4 minutes ago, m0e said:

No argument from me on the first bit.

In terms of competency, I suppose that depends on how you choose to define it, or rather, in what context.

I could argue they've been very competent financially.

They've been very competent with bringing Klopp in, and getting Michael Edwards to do the transfer deals.

They've been competent with the Anfield expansion, and our commercial revenue.

I don't think you'll argue that they're mugs.

There's definitely an angle here.

I'd argue about a few of those points to be honest, but it's all stuff I've said a million times on here. But I'd say the way this last week was handled, allowing that madman Perez to be the face of this, unless they wanted it to fail (which I actually wouldn't completely rule out), it's a failure.of epic proportions and doesn't illustrate any level of competency. From the PR, to the execution, to allowing Perez to be pretty much the sole voice, the initial website statement (with no comments from LFC, just Joel fucking glazier), the throwing klopp and the team under the bus, and the brief and pretty awful withdrawal message on the website - it was incompetent all round. If you can point to any part of the whole ESL escapade and show me they're nothing more than a bunch of chancers with lots of money, you'll do well. 

• Upvote 1

They needed a few months' PR build-up explaining why the current set-up was going to bankrupt them eventually and pointing out all the faults with UEFA, the CL and FFP. The announcement should then have majored on the benefits for everyone else including some titbits for the fans. And finally they should have realised  that the no relegation proposal was never going to fly without significant watering down. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aws said:

The big Six will need to have some back-up threat or they'll have no power at all and the 14 will nail them to the wall leaving only City and Chelsea laughing. 

Yep, never capituplate from a weak position which is what the 6 did and now the 14 have them by the short and curlys.

Personally, I dont think any of the 6 could fart now without threat of sanction. The 14 will dry bum them for all they are worth.

I see the '14' are calling for the relevant owners to sell up which is risable when you consider at least 3 of those clubs argued for no relegation last season, a few more for 'null and void'

while another 3 wont even be in this league in just over 6 weeks or so.

All of the owners of the other 14 are very much similar to the owners of the 'Big Six' in the greedy, horrible cunts stakes. They just don't own a brand appealing enough to have had the invitation.

The teams that tried to start this Super League are fucked now though when it comes to negotiations. It was their nuclear deterrant. The threat of it was more beneficial to them than actually the reality of doing anything with it. They've just lost their biggest bargaining chip

• Upvote 1

Wonder how many of the 'Little 14' would get behind this...?

West Ham boss calls for a unified British competition

David Moyes believes the failure of the breakaway European Super League (ESL) provides an opportunity to consider a unified British competition instead.

The Premier League's 'big six' all withdrew from the ESL on Tuesday following resistance to the plans.

However, Moyes believes league reform is still needed and suggested a Premier League II - which includes Rangers and Celtic - could be an option.

"Change is needed in some way," said the West Ham boss.

"I think the Premier League has a brilliant product, I really do, but at the top clubs you're talking about too many games, so could we have Premier League I and Premier League II?

"Could we have a situation where we do invite Rangers and Celtic to Premier League II? Why can we not unite the UK? Why do we have to be England and Scotland and not unite it?

"Why can it not be a pyramid that allows teams in the Scottish leagues to get into Premier League II? In fact, I think actually more money would filter down if Rangers and Celtic could be given an opportunity to come in."

Moyes also believes that such a reform could also help alleviate packed fixture schedules that many clubs competing in numerous competitions are having to contend with.

The Scot added: "Why not try and make what we have got something new and maybe take a few less teams, maybe two out of the Premier League and put in Premier League II, and we have a few extra weeks.

"The big clubs have got such a big programme, and I can only see with the new programmes them getting so many more games, and it is getting too tough to play too many games."

So, Moyes wants his club to get more money from 2 clubs that are significantly bigger than his own club, while destroying Scottish football in the process. #InItTogether

Good thing fans won't need to travel as much, eh Divhead...? Fucking clown.

8 hours ago, Mcfaggen said:

Yup, actions need to follow. 

Supporter Ownership should be the first job... Season Ticket Holders >5 years given a stake in the club. Perhaps those on the waiting list >10 years (no idea of the oldest tenure on the  list to be honest, but you get the gist). 

I'd also be wanting to know what the fuck happened with the baldy journo they employed as a Supporter Liaison Rep... someone somewhere needs to be on the board to tell the fuckers not to fuck up again. Possibly on a twice daily schedule. They need to talk this stuff through with people who actually give a fuck about the Club. It's all well & good having Boston Ale induced brain farts, but someone needs to look at it in the cold light of day. 

Anfield Area regen... stadium development is all well & good, but it's in it for them as much as anyone... time for some good old fashioned US of A Philanthropy. You fucked up, time to pay up. Help those in the area of the Club you own. Properly. 

Or, in the immediate meantime, another action could be that FSG make a rabid commitment to, this summer without fail, bringing in the top quality players we now patently need to fix and strengthen what has been a massive fall from grace in the last year.

That would be the clearest and most present action signalling they're interested in what the supporters are interested in.

43 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

David Moyes believes the failure of the breakaway European Super League (ESL) provides an opportunity to consider a unified British competition instead.

The Premier League's 'big six' all withdrew from the ESL on Tuesday following resistance to the plans.

However, Moyes believes league reform is still needed and suggested a Premier League II - which includes Rangers and Celtic - could be an option.

"I think the Premier League has a brilliant product, I really do, but at the top clubs you're talking about too many games, so could we have Premier League I and Premier League II?

"Could we have a situation where we do invite Rangers and Celtic to Premier League II? Why can we not unite the UK? Why do we have to be England and Scotland and not unite it?

"Why can it not be a pyramid that allows teams in the Scottish leagues to get into Premier League II? In fact, I think actually more money would filter down if Rangers and Celtic could be given an opportunity to come in."

Moyes also believes that such a reform could also help alleviate packed fixture schedules that many clubs competing in numerous competitions are having to contend with.

The Scot added: "Why not try and make what we have got something new and maybe take a few less teams, maybe two out of the Premier League and put in Premier League II, and we have a few extra weeks.

"The big clubs have got such a big programme, and I can only see with the new programmes them getting so many more games, and it is getting too tough to play too many games."

So, Moyes wants his club to get more money from 2 clubs that are significantly bigger than his own club, while destroying Scottish football in the process. #InItTogether

I've heard worse ideas, to be honest.

Why would it destroy Scottish football?  

It would at least give teams other than Celtic and Rangers a chance of winning things in Scotland, for starters.  It might actually make the rank and file of Scottish football a body of competitive teams, not just a two-team football country.

Aberdeen have won a European Trophy, Dundee United have made the semi-finals of the European Cup. There's Hearts and Hibs... and then a bunch of also rans whose fans might suddenly have hope of a sniff of silverware, or heaven forbid, a run in Europe.

And adding Celtic and Rangers into the mix of the "bottom half" of an EPL tier would give it zest too.

It's fashionable to loathe and belittle Moyes, I know, but I actually think it's a much better "local, grassroots fans" idea than an ESL.

• Upvote 1

On 22/04/2021 at 22:27, dockers_strike said:

Yes, it really can. It's 14 votes to get anything changed or accepted by the PL so Im sorry, we and the other 5 could say no but if the other 14 all vote as one, it goes through.

We’ll see.

6 hours ago, Dynamite said:

As long as the both qualify through a league tournament and their rivals have a chance too.

7 hours ago, skaro said:

It would at least give teams other than Celtic and Rangers a chance of winning things in Scotland, for starters.  It might actually make the rank and file of Scottish football a body of competitive teams, not just a two-team football country.

Aberdeen have won a European Trophy, Dundee United have made the semi-finals of the European Cup. There's Hearts and Hibs... and then a bunch of also rans whose fans might suddenly have hope of a sniff of silverware, or heaven forbid, a run in Europe.

And adding Celtic and Rangers into the mix of the "bottom half" of an EPL tier would give it zest too.

It's fashionable to loathe and belittle Moyes, I know, but I actually think it's a much better "local, grassroots fans" idea than an ESL.

Optionally what we could do is invite the best sides from Spain and Italy. Creating a big 12 if you like, but there'll only be a premier league I. Perhaps guarantee them a constant place in that league and allow the remaining 14 clubs in the premier league today to fight it out over the remaining 8 places. The 6 left can then go and join the Scottish premier league, making that into a full sized league. It feels to me everyone wins. 

• Upvote 1

Great to see.

Premier League Big Six supporters’ groups ‘overwhelmed’ as fans flock to join after ESL fallout

Fans are flocking in their thousands to sign up to supporters’ groups of the Big Six Premier League clubs who agreed to join the Super League before the competition fell apart.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/supporters-group-fans-protest-arsenal-man-city-utd-chelsea-liverpool-spurs-esl-premier-league-967135?ito=twitter_share_article-top

2 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Great to see.

Premier League Big Six supporters’ groups ‘overwhelmed’ as fans flock to join after ESL fallout

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/supporters-group-fans-protest-arsenal-man-city-utd-chelsea-liverpool-spurs-esl-premier-league-967135?ito=twitter_share_article-top

The saddest thing about that is seeing food banks mentioned only as an aside in an article about football. Then seeing a Prime Minister who,along with the rest of his party, responsible for their formation more 'concerned' with football issue. Nice to see fans coming together like this but such a shame,ourselves largely excluded,they werent as vociferous about the need for food banks as well.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, skaro said:

Scottish football hasn't been in a good place for a while now, partly down to Celtic and Rangers, but mainly due to the incompetence of the SFA, and most recently, the collapse of Setanta Sports and the TV rights package that would have generated more income for the clubs outside the Old Firm, and would have made them less reliant on ticket sales from games against the Old Firm.

Celtic and Rangers leaving Scottish football would remove a huge chunk of finance away from the remaining Scottish teams. The income generated by the largest fanbases in Scottish football goes a long way to supporting the economies of the "also-rans" as you put it. 

What little sponsorship that Scottish football has would dwindle away to next to nothing, so coupled with less income from the games against the Old Firm, clubs will start losing money hand over fist and will fold as a result. Many clubs are already teetering on the edge due to the Covid pandemic.

Beyond the obvious financial losses Scottish football would suffer, Scottish football would lose the UEFA coefficients, firstly at the national level, and then subsequently at the club level. Fewer clubs will be allowed to qualify for European competition as the nation's coefficient would drop, and then as a result, those who do qualify for European football will be entering the competitions at an earlier qualifying round.

The only winners in this scenario are the clubs already swimming in money. #InItTogether

Also, why should Celtic and Rangers go into the bottom half, or Premier League 2 as Moyes has said, when both clubs bring a significantly larger fanbase than at least 80% of the clubs currently in the Premier league - I would argue that only ourselves and United have larger fanbases in the UK & Ireland.

3 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

Great to see.

Fans are flocking in their thousands to sign up to supporters’ groups of the Big Six Premier League clubs who agreed to join the Super League before the competition fell apart.

B24608CF-0556-4DC5-972A-E2A756BF1EB7.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dynamite said:

Scottish football hasn't been in a good place for a while now, partly down to Celtic and Rangers, but mainly due to the incompetence of the SFA, and most recently, the collapse of Setanta Sports and the TV rights package that would have generated more income for the clubs outside the Old Firm, and would have made them less reliant on ticket sales from games against the Old Firm.

Celtic and Rangers leaving Scottish football would remove a huge chunk of finance away from the remaining Scottish teams. The income generated by the largest fanbases in Scottish football goes a long way to supporting the economies of the "also-rans" as you put it. 

What little sponsorship that Scottish football has would dwindle away to next to nothing, so coupled with less income from the games against the Old Firm, clubs will start losing money hand over fist and will fold as a result. Many clubs are already teetering on the edge due to the Covid pandemic.

Beyond the obvious financial losses Scottish football would suffer, Scottish football would lose the UEFA coefficients, firstly at the national level, and then subsequently at the club level. Fewer clubs will be allowed to qualify for European competition as the nation's coefficient would drop, and then as a result, those who do qualify for European football will be entering the competitions at an earlier qualifying round.

The only winners in this scenario are the clubs already swimming in money. #InItTogether

Also, why should Celtic and Rangers go into the bottom half, or Premier League 2 as Moyes has said, when both clubs bring a significantly larger fanbase than at least 80% of the clubs currently in the Premier league - I would argue that only ourselves and United have larger fanbases in the UK & Ireland.

I'll get me coat.

And me scabbard.

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Optionally what we could do is invite the best sides from Spain and Italy. Creating a big 12 if you like, but there'll only be a premier league I. Perhaps guarantee them a constant place in that league and allow the remaining 14 clubs in the premier league today to fight it out over the remaining 8 places. The 6 left can then go and join the Scottish premier league, making that into a full sized league. It feels to me everyone wins. 

1 minute ago, skaro said:

I'll get me coat.

And me scabbard.