You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

Can't wait for Micah Richards to get all misty eyed talking about how proud he is that Man City saved football, but that the Sheikh's work isn't done - now the homeless, the drug users, the war vetetans, those with mental health and stray dogs in West Manchester need to be saved like those in East Manchester.

Gary Neville should ask the Sheikh to get the United fans a few tubs of Dulux so they can paint Old Trafford. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

The words are good/acceptable/necessary. Time will tell if words are all they are though. 

We need to see actions that back any words up and these need to be the right ones, delivered in a timely fashion. 

It’s been a fuck up of epic proportions, not sure if there’s any way back for FSG from here but let’s see what the next few weeks and months bring. 

It's an interesting one if FSG (and it's a big IF) throw £150m at Klopp this summer to spend do we back them again as fans or is the damage to far gone? That statement seams to suggest that they aren't selling anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

Fuck Gary Neville, fuck Pep, fuck sky, fuck the shite, fuck Gary Lineker, fuck UEFA, fuck Ed Woowar, fuck the banks, fuck FSG, fuck the Premier League, fuck money, fuck football and last but most definitely not least, fuck me.

What an utter shitfest.

Is it not an utter fuckfest???

6 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

It's an interesting one if FSG (and it's a big IF) throw £150m at Klopp this summer to spend do we back them again as fans or is the damage to far gone? That statement seams to suggest that they aren't selling anytime soon.

Did people actually think they were going to sell? hahaha this is probably their best investment to date.

John Barnes talking, as is his wont, absolute sense on BBC News this morning. Yes, it was an awful idea. Yes, we should be glad that it's dead in the water. Yes, the ownerships involved have some pretty serious questions to answer.

But - let's not kid ourselves that this is the first time greed has reared its ugly head in football, and let's not pretend that this is a victory for football. It's a victory for the status quo, for one group of billionaires over another group. Unless the momentum of this backlash carries on and takes aim at Sky, state-owned football, Uefa corruption and ineptitude and general inequality in football, we'll be back to grumbling about extortionate ticket prices, unaffordable TV subscription packages, ignorant kick-off times and watching the same group of clubs bankroll their way to continuous success.

Doesn't sound a million times better than the ESL to me.

• Upvote 10

9 minutes ago, Manny said:

John Barnes talking, as is his wont, absolute sense on BBC News this morning. Yes, it was an awful idea. Yes, we should be glad that it's dead in the water. Yes, the ownerships involved have some pretty serious questions to answer.

But - let's not kid ourselves that this is the first time greed has reared its ugly head in football, and let's not pretend that this is a victory for football. It's a victory for the status quo, for one group of billionaires over another group. Unless the momentum of this backlash carries on and takes aim at Sky, state-owned football, Uefa corruption and ineptitude and general inequality in football, we'll be back to grumbling about extortionate ticket prices, unaffordable TV subscription packages, ignorant kick-off times and watching the same group of clubs bankroll their way to continuous success.

It's worse as we have very little say in it whilst the same Corporations and other Clubs cream off money the Club generate.

Well back to those paragons of virtue UEFA. How could clubs even contemplate running a competition for ridiculous sums of money, where the fans are an inconvenience and only the elite can succeed. Surely they know that's UEFA's job. 

Oh and the misinformation, threats from UEFA, FIFA, The Premiership and hissy fits from some on TV, shameful. Most of them scared that their cash cow was being slaughtered. 

Not that I am absolving the clubs that threw this on fans of any blame. But I doubt they could have run any fans forums on the idea as the threats would have come Neville and fast, like they did last week. 

I want the old European Cup back, the knock out competition that only includes the actual champions. Until then the CL will and always has been a cash generator that is about to get more ridiculous. That some have pontificated about how awful a European Super league is could in some ways have that argument thrown back about the CL. 

Have to chuckle really the likes of Leeds, West Brom, Southampton etc all want to dream about winning league and qualifying for CL while their saviours from the super League spend with impunity. Fans are deluded. A proper super League is the way forward but initial entry on footballing merit would be a good starting point. 

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

Glad that whole farce failed but what are we going back to?

FIFA corruption. ‘Slave workers’ building stadiums for a World Cup in Qatar. UEFA Giving tiny ticket allocations to teams in their finals. Televised matches only on (Multiple different) costly subscription platforms. The youth being priced out of ticket sales. The elitist breakaway PL. Rich club domination. Corporate hospitality. £300K per week salaries. All this while dads and mums pick up dogs shit, broken glass and needles on parks so their kids can have a match on a Saturday. 

Bollocks to the narrative that we have got the beautiful game back. That ship sailed long ago and will continue to gradually get further and further away. 

For the fans, mate. For the fasns.

18 minutes ago, Poster said:

Well back to those paragons of virtue UEFA. How could clubs even contemplate running a competition for ridiculous sums of money, where the fans are an inconvenience and only the elite can succeed. Surely they know that's UEFA's job. 

Oh and the misinformation, threats from UEFA, FIFA, The Premiership and hissy fits from some on TV, shameful. Most of them scared that their cash cow was being slaughtered. 

Not that I am absolving the clubs that threw this on fans of any blame. But I doubt they could have run any fans forums on the idea as the threats would have come Neville and fast, like they did last week. 

I want the old European Cup back, the knock out competition that only includes the actual champions. Until then the CL will and always has been a cash generator that is about to get more ridiculous. That some have pontificated about how awful a European Super league is could in some ways have that argument thrown back about the CL. 

Thats the irony isnt it, they call it the "Champions " league, but the reality is, its the champions and 3 others who if they beat the champions, they can become the champions league winner. Totally agree, it should be the league champions only, not the also rans. They should also make the domestic cups worth more as well, that way teams have something to go for rather than just a "mickymouse" waste of time.

• Upvote 1

I expect more Mbappe and Haaland links in the Echo. I think there will be something to try and appease the fans, I'd be surprised if it was the actual signings of either of those two though.

Even if they did, it's the equivalent of an Elastoplast over a massive, gaping, festering wound.

No matter how sincere Henry tried to sound with his apologies and contrition, we know that sincerity and contrition is false.

He's a snake and can't be trusted, but we knew that already.

He's an American businessman.

It's what they do.

49 minutes ago, Manny said:

Spot on from Barnes . The Tylers of this world swinging their dicks because they have kept the likes of Murdoch and his ilk in control makes me want to vomit.