You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nah I reckon they've had their fun, everything they've tried to save/make money has come a cropper and they've ended up looking fucking daft, there's only so much tarnishing your 'brand' and I mean FSG here, can take. 

I can't imagine then selling, this isn't some last hail Mary to finally make a profit, they've already increased the value of this asset ten fold, that isn't going to dissappear without the ESL, and most likely will continue going up regardless, it was just an effort to further increase our value. They've tried before, and if this falls through they'll try again in another form. They aren't going to want to sell the goose and risk the buyers being the ones that get the golden eggs.

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t understand the Man City comparison. Since Abu Dhabi came in, Man Utd, Leicester, Chelsea & us have all won the league and other clubs have won the domestic titles as well. Like the mancs and Ferguson, Citeh will likely never have it as good again as they currently do under Guardiola. 

I like the idea of teams having golden eras, where things fall into place at the right time and they hit the jackpot. We had a good run starting with Shankly, and the succession of great managers that were basically trained in house, after that came to an end we struggled until we had a couple of brief periods with Rafa and now Klopp. We've been shit for the majority of the last 30 years with a few good spells thrown in, and I imagine the same will happen after Klopp while we adjust and fight to get the right ingredients again for a good run. 

Same can be said for Man United, they weren't up to much before Ferguson then they dominated, after he retired they struggled again.

Same for arsenal with Wenger. 

Football had always been cyclical, and I like that, it would be boring winning everything for decades in a row, I enjoy our fights back to the top. 

How is it ever going to be like that for City? No matter what happens they will always be in the position to throw money at it, wrong manger? Sack him get another. Wrong signings? Sell them and get another. They can roll the dice infinitely. At worst they'll have one or two seasons not at the top, other teams winning trophies will be the anomaly.

Our current period of relative success will end with Klopp, unless somebody like Pep Lijinders is being groomed to take over and has learnt everything Jurgen knows.

Man City's period of dominance ends when they run out of money.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Real Madrid have been in the CL forever because they’ve earned it through their league and CL performances.  

I don’t understand the Man City comparison. Since Abu Dhabi came in, Man Utd, Leicester, Chelsea & us have all won the league and other clubs have won the domestic titles as well. Like the mancs and Ferguson, Citeh will likely never have it as good again as they currently do under Guardiola. 

Madrid what? Earn? The club of the King, open access to loans from the Bank of Spain, how exactly have they fairly earned their titles? 

Man City's failures shouldn't be justification for their illegal spending.  But their presence warps everything.  Not just them but also Chelsea, and also Man United floating on the stock market started a lot of this.  They pay insane wages and that trickles down to other clubs.  Not just them, but PSG and Chelsea pay the same, so the best players get their heads turned each year by those three, and that leads to other clubs having to follow suit to try and keep their best players.  Be it Madrid, or Barca or Juventus or us, we end up over-extending ourselves to keep our best players, to the point you look at how it has crippled Barca in the case of Messi.  But then Messi's teammates turn around and go "what about me", and their wages get sucked into his orbit, not at his level, but up they go.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Come on. What if they review membership every 5 years? What if xyz...

Real Madrid have been in every single CL competition, does that not seen anti-competetive to you?  So domestic leagues can be completely anti-competetive as long as we protect the sacred CL anti-competetiveness? 

People are completely missing the point here.  The PL is basically Man City plus 19 guests. As long as we're willing to accept that the fine.  You can shit down the anti FSG thread moaning about them not spending enough.  

I think you’re the one missing the point, mate. Football is already heavily favoured towards those with the most resources (that’s always been the case, even before 1993) but reward has always been linked to performance.

This removes that. That’s a fundamental difference.

A large minority of football fans in this country are complete knobheads. Pretty much all club owners are knobheads protecting their own interest, whether that's to enter the ESL, move the goalposts to get more Champions League places, try and do what they can to stay in the Premier League (see last season) or at the bottom of the rung keep their team in the league system at the expense of others. The authorities like the fa and uefa are complete pricks and don't get me started on Boris. 

I would like if Uefa returned the club competitions to what it was before. (1)Reduce the places for English clubs in the Champions League and give automatic places to the champions of Scotland, Belgium and Holland etc and make it easier for countries like Iceland to get teams into the Champions League. Yeah it won't be good for Liverpool in the short term but in the long run it will be better for the game across the continent. 

(2) Make the Europa League a really competitive competition like the old Uefa Cup. Yeah maybe the earlier rounds won't be as competitive for the big English etc clubs but again that's what football is about....fans in Armenia getting excited because Liverpool or Barca is coming to town.

(3) Ensure that financial fair play is properly enforced. I hate FSG more than ever but they ran a model that is sustainable. That is what all clubs should have to do. They balanced the books and because of good business decisions in getting in Jurgen and Michael Edwards, we beat a state run club. Again, I hate them but their model before all this ESL shit is what all clubs big and small should follow. 

Some of the best aways I've had were at clubs we will probably never play again. That's a shame and I'd love to see that changed. 

I don't know how this clusterfuck will end. I just know come August I want to be in stadiums cheering on the lads and showing Jurgen the love and respect that beautiful human being deserves. I won't watch us in this ESL shite so if that happens, then it really is a huge part of my life gone.

My gut is that Uefa will fold to a lot of this mobs wishes and desires. Something like 6 or 7 places in the champions league given to England, Italy, Spain and Germany with 3 or 4 to France and maybe 2 or 3 to Russia, Turkey and Holland. another round for the champions of countries like Scotland or Belgium to navigate unless they fold and give them one place. Next to impossible for the champions of places like Georgia or Latvia to get through. Clubs like us pretty much guaranteed to be in the Champions League which is an insult. Clubs like West Ham and Everton in with a massive shout. I wonder will Mosh and Karen Brady or the Leeds owners be talking about the good of the game and the Steau Bucharests and Levski Sofias of the game. Like fuck they will.

A lot of what I want reads like the 70s or 80s, but I'd like the Fa and Uefa to get off their own gravy trains and take football back to the people.

That Brian Swanson on Sky news said before " I've been told that sky are not CURRENTLY interested is speaking about showing ESL games" Currently? In other words if / when the ESL comes off then Sky will be interested slimy bastards making out it's all about the fans whilst making moves behind the scenes to make sure they are well placed.

Cordon and his cronies alway put a stick in the ground at a point from when they think Liverpool won nothing. Oh, the mancs were the team from 1994. Oh, Wenger's arsenal were the team in the early 2000s. Oh, Leicester were the team from the season they won just about their only major trophy. Oh, manchester city were the team since mansour rocked up around 2008.

While it's true we went 30 years without winning the title, we won the Champions League twice since 2005. We've won 14 or 15 major trophies since title number 18 in 1990. Amazingly, those 'major' trophies we won were not major trophies at all, well until united and city started winning UEFA cup \ Europa League, league and FA Cups and, the best team 'doesnt always win' the Champions League!

Fucking hypercites like cordon can fuck right off. The fat cunt isnt even funny.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I think you’re the one missing the point, mate. Football is already heavily favoured towards those with the most resources (that’s always been the case, even before 1993) but reward has always been linked to performance.

This removes that. That’s a fundamental difference.

The fundamental difference is that there is financially much more at stake now than ever before.  One bad season for a club like us chasing City can bankrupt us.  Despite everything, all our history, all our titles and cups, it's no protection from catastrophic consequences of failing to make the CL.  And especially now, with Covid showing that everything is only 1 day away from disaster, there is no longer a guarantee on any income, even gate receipts, the basics of football income, it's now a complete unknown. 

I applaud the clubs coming forward.  They want to be truly competetive for their supporters, to give them a stable basis on which to challenge the Gulf States and Russian Ogliagarchs.  You cannot criticise them for attempting to do this, it's the only option left as UEFA has given up on enforcing FFP, those cunts have ran rings around them in the courts.  Game over. The only people left to regulate the game are the big, historic clubs, but there is a finite timeline to do this, each passing year will see their powers wane, support decrease, reach lessen, turnover drop.  Who knows, maybe after 10 years of winning everything they might regulate themselves.  In the meantime, FSG will pack their bags because they don't much want to go bankrupt, and our new owners will either be similarly sinister as Mansour etc, or will be like the Glazers and will gut the club without a second thought.  

*shrugs*  That's it.   

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

The fundamental difference is that there is financially much more at stake now than ever before.  One bad season for a club like us chasing City can bankrupt us.  Despite everything, all our history, all our titles and cups, it's no protection from catastrophic consequences of failing to make the CL.  

And don't get me wrong, I'd still support the club if we were relegated to the Championship and dropped like a stone.  In fact I'd probably like it more than I do now.  Back to £700,000 signings and away from the trappings of the PL.  Bring it on. 

This has turned in to a bit of brain dump but fundamentally the ESL stinks but so does lots of other aspects of football. The ESL has been a long time coming and in my opinion is the latest evolution which can trace itself back to Hillsborough and Gazza’s tears at Italia ’90. For those curmudgeonly old gits like myself football will never be as good as the 70s or 80s due to a mixture of our unparalleled success and exhilaration being on the Kop swaying, singing and going crazy after each goal.

However I am not that naïve to say that football didn’t need to change. Standing at football was dangerous at times, the toilets (I use the term loosely) were no better than ones in Victorian slum housing long since pulled down and getting legged at away games wasn’t really much fun.

So I personally was in favour of all seater stadia, Sky paid the clubs decent money and teams have played better football as players have got fitter, faster and we have attracted better players from around the world. In Europe the Champions League isn’t really for Champions but I don’t think many could argue that it isn’t a good competition with some great games, once you get past the first group stage.

Therefore I am in the camp that by and large the Premier League and Champions League have moved football forwards and like society I don’t agree with all of the outcomes but we have to accept it is where we are.

I hate the idea of the ESL and for me it will be a step too far and possibly the straw that breaks the camels back. But I don’t for one minute accept all this collective anger and shaking of heads by the football establishment.

Sky – fuck off with your holier than thou approach, you have tried to airbrush football pre 1992 from history. You have steadily increased subscription costs, changed kick off times all to suit you, the broadcaster, not the fan.

Pundits – fuck off – if the so called “big 6” leave the remaining competitions are devalued, broadcast rights are worth less and this could flow down and mean you get paid less to spout the bleeding obvious shite that you pass off as insight. Neville / Carra, you kept quiet about the Glazers and Hick and Gillett when you were pro’s and Millie post-match interview against Leeds said more than you two ever did.

UEFA / FIFA – fuck off – you have had your hand in the till for years as evidenced by Blatter and Platini. Your lenient approach to racism is a joke and handing down small fines to clubs is an insult to our intelligence. You have handed out World Cups to regimes with questionable human rights records and countries which think it is ok to poison the citizens of other countries.

All clubs – fuck off - you have priced the ordinary fan out if going to the game and at the same time increased the salaries of players and staff way out of kilter with the rest of society on the back of tv money which the ordinary person has funded.

14 clubs / smaller clubs – fuck off – without the so called “big 6” you will have a less valuable commodity so perhaps you will have to face facts and accept that that the distribution of TV money may not be as equitable in the future. You too can fuck off with your sanctimonious hand wringing as you always do what is best for you - 3 subs, null and void - just fuck off you equally as arrogant twats.

European Union – Your intention was honourable but making the Premier League put batches of games out to tender ended up costing the armchair fan so fuck you too.

IFAB / PGMOL – Being honest I was in favour of VAR as I thought it would eradicate mistakes when all it has done has taken away the enjoyment and shown that the officials at best are compounding their errors or worst covering their arses or for their mates. You have taken the joy from the game.

UEFA (again) – fuck off – you had a chance with FFP and you cocked it up which I think has led to some owners, possibly FSG, thinking they have to increase their income because the cost base will continue to spiral as Citeh, United and Chelsea will just throw endless money at it. Not an excuse for FSG by any stretch of the imagination.

Agents – the like of Raiola swanning round Europe (what lockdown?) pimping his player is just another example of the depths to which football has plummeted. What exactly do these people add to football compared to the millions they take out of it!

The Tories – fuck off – don’t talk about greed! That is as breathtaking as the 6 clubs arrogance.

So what’s my point, the 6 clubs are totally and utterly bang out of order but the vested interests i.e. all of the above organisations / individuals cannot be allowed to let football go back to way the it was on Saturday night because they all win and the fans lose by having to pay more and more for a game that is being corrupted and having its enjoyment spoiled at each turn. So, all of those people above that vented their anger and have spoken up, good on you, but do not think that your actions are not part of the problem and therefore you have a duty to solve issues that need to be fixed.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Dave D said:

Im playing my cards close to my chest until I hear what the following people think on the subject-

Barry Fry

Piers Morgan

Bono

Danny Dyer

Roy Hodgson

Alan Sugar

Idris Elba

Neil Lennon  

Dyer has been hired to front the ESL highlights show.

Im playing my cards close to my chest until I hear what the following people think on the subject-

Barry Fry

Piers Morgan

Bono

Danny Dyer

Roy Hodgson

Alan Sugar

Idris Elba

Neil Lennon  

Barry Fry

Piers Morgan

Bono

Danny Dyer

Roy Hodgson

Alan Sugar

Idris Elba

Neil Lennon  

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

And don't get me wrong, I'd still support the club if we were relegated to the Championship and dropped like a stone.  In fact I'd probably like it more than I do now.  Back to £700,000 signings and away from the trappings of the PL.  Bring it on. 

2022: Charlie Wyke is the kind of forward we need to get back to the premier league. 

The wankers like the government get involved and the plain hypocrisy of the likes of Villa and West Ham fans kicking off leaves me not giving a fuck if it happens. Them two clubs tried having relegation taken off the table to agree to a restart because they might go down. 

In the last 15 years

The big clubs pushed for youth teams joining the EFL - No, its not fair

Extra sub this season to deal with condensed season and effects on no preseason - non big 6, no it doesn't help us

Restart last year - Null and void, no relegation. Until they realised the effects that would have on TV deals. 

PPV games, barring Leicester to their credit, yes PPV games. Rinse more money from fans. 

Sky/BT

For the good of the game blah blah blah

Join us on friday/Saturday 12/5 Sun 12/2/5 and Monday night for football. 

Want to watch a Boxer ranked 15 in the world vs the number 6 ranked heavyweight £20. Want to watch Domestic and European football that'll be £70-90 a month. 

UEFA/Fifa - We need less matches to stop player burn out and injuries during international duty. Here's another tournament to deal with. And here another corruption case. Oh and the season will need to stop for a best part of two months at xmass 2022 because we got brided by a blood money sports washing state to hold the world Cup in a desert in stadiums built by people treated little better than slaves. 

At some point the biggest clu s the ones that generate the money were always likely to go fuck you UEFA we are not giving you a slice and we are keeping the money. 

Do I like it, no not at all. Am I surprised no. Has this been coming fir 30 years and the greed of all clubs, federations at fault yes it fucking is

• Upvote 4