You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

4 minutes ago, Jockey said:

The Champions League is like that now though. You tend to get the same teams - the Pot 4 teams are really the only ones that tend to be any different - but once you get into the knockout stages - out of 16 you have PSG, Madrid, Barca, Athletic, Juve, Munich, City, Sevilla, Porto, each and every year. 

As I said earlier, the much vaunted German model has led to Munich winning 8 straight league titles and basically the only time they were challenged they went in and bought the 3 best players from Dortmund. And Dortmund's business models seems to be pretty much buy young players, and sell them on. Rinse and repeat. 

I don't argue once you get to the last 16 it's predictable, but this thing is 20 clubs total. And never, ever changing. So a couple of years back Ajax built a good team, PSV have had a few over the last 20 years. Spurs (although I realise they have an invite) got to the final for 1st time ever. Ukraine clubs have had a go at times. Monaco and Marseille at different times have made good contributions to this competition, so it does and has changed. That's all over if the ESL clubs get their way. 

I do agree the money in the CL has dulled domestic football in many countries, but I'm not sure how this plan solves that, the teams wish to stay in their domestic leagues and it would be a surprise if it goes ahead Munich don't end up in it. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't argue once you get to the last 16 it's predictable, but this thing is 20 clubs total. And never, ever changing. So a couple of years back Ajax built a good team, PSV have had a few over the last 20 years. Spurs (although I realise they have an invite) got to the final for 1st time ever. Ukraine clubs have had a go at times. Monaco and Marseille at different times have made good contributions to this competition, so it does and has changed. That's all over if the ESL clubs get their way. 

I do agree the money in the CL has dulled domestic football in many countries, but I'm not sure how this plan solves that, the teams wish to stay in their domestic leagues and it would be a surprise if it goes ahead Munich don't end up in it. 

This plan doesn't solve it. It simply side-steps the problems. If you think the problems are 'how can we make more money'. 

I think if these 12 were forced to go ahead - then I do think other clubs would follow. How easy would it be to add in another Italian team, another Spanish team? Eastern European football is riddled with massive, historic clubs. It is a horrible thought. 

Nice to see moral high horse FC have memory lapses.

In 1990, the managing director of London Weekend Television (LWT), Greg Dyke, met with the representatives of the "big five" football clubs in England (Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, Everton and Arsenal) over a dinner.[26] The meeting was to pave the way for a breakaway from The Football League.[27] Dyke believed that it would be more lucrative for LWT if only the larger clubs in the country were featured on national television and wanted to establish whether the clubs would be interested in a larger share of television rights money.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Im playing my cards close to my chest until I hear what the following people think on the subject-

Barry Fry

Piers Morgan

Bono

Danny Dyer

Roy Hodgson

Alan Sugar

Idris Elba

Neil Lennon  

Piers Morgan will just blame Megan Markle.

My prediction: The ESL will hopefully be doomed to failure, but as a result FSG will go into full sulk mode and we'll end up with nowhere near enough investment in players while they wait a couple of years for a sale. Manchester City and even Chelsea will pull further ahead of us for obvious reasons. We'll end up badly damaged by this one way or another, and not just reputationally. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

My prediction: The ESL will hopefully be doomed to failure, but as a result FSG will go into full sulk mode and we'll end up with nowhere near enough investment in players while they wait a couple of years for a sale. Manchester City and even Chelsea will pull further ahead of us for obvious reasons. We'll end up badly damaged by this one way or another, and not just reputationally. 

Sadly, I think you may be right.

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I reckon the whole thing will be dead in the water by the weekend and it'll push the button on FSG looking to sell up. 

27 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Im playing my cards close to my chest until I hear what the following people think on the subject-

Barry Fry

Piers Morgan

Bono

Danny Dyer

Roy Hodgson

Alan Sugar

Idris Elba

Neil Lennon  

Good post, I think we can all agree that Bono's views are particularly critical here.

4 minutes ago, clangers said:

They'll sell us off piece by piece or rather they already are and keep a decent stake for themselves.

Nah I reckon they've had their fun, everything they've tried to save/make money has come a cropper and they've ended up looking fucking daft, there's only so much tarnishing your 'brand' and I mean FSG here, can take.

Now is surely the time to get out of footy if you were only ever really in it for the money and don't have bottomless wealth. Expect to see a consortium led by Ricky Tomlinson and that bloke from Redrow by the end of summer. 

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

They've set us up to be self-sustaining. As long as they don't take the money out of the club - I am fine. I do think it is a bit cheeky (in a literal sense, as they are owners who take the piss regularly) to - rightfully - pull them for looking to make as much money out of us as possible, but then demand they put their own money into the team. City and Chelsea have distorted football for 20 years. I don't want owners who are like them, and I don't think it is realistic to expect owners to invest billions in the club and not expect a return. 

I would love the whole of the game to be restructured, but it won't be. I think considering this is the third of fourth time they have took the piss - expecting them to learn seems a lost cause. But, who the fuck takes over? That is the worry. 

16 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I'm not sure businessmen driven by profit are liable to sulk.  These lads are serious players.  Not everyone is Donald trump.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

If 75% of the participants are guaranteed participation regardless of performance, that absolutely is anti-competitive.

I don’t known what is so hard to understand with this. 

Come on. What if they review membership every 5 years? What if xyz...

Real Madrid have been in every single CL competition, does that not seen anti-competetive to you?  So domestic leagues can be completely anti-competetive as long as we protect the sacred CL anti-competetiveness? 

People are completely missing the point here.  The PL is basically Man City plus 19 guests. As long as we're willing to accept that the fine.  You can shit down the anti FSG thread moaning about them not spending enough.  

25 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Mansoor will nudge his mates to get involved to make it look competitive. Which is fine if you don't mind the club being run by people who chop journalists to bits. 

I think the mistake they made was keeping it so small. Had they offered a ESL2 with a smaller prize pool but relegation of a couple of places and offered that second tier of clubs Marseille, Ajax, Everton, Celtic, Rangers etc a place at the table they've have been in a far stronger position to stop the massive backlashit would have been shit still

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Come on. What if they review membership every 5 years? What if xyz...

Real Madrid have been in every single CL competition, does that not seen anti-competetive to you?  So domestic leagues can be completely anti-competetive as long as we protect the sacred CL anti-competetiveness? 

People are completely missing the point here.  The PL is basically Man City plus 19 guests. As long as we're willing to accept that the fine.  You can shit down the anti FSG thread moaning about them not spending enough.  

I’m not sure I agree with all the points he’s making on this but I do agree on this.

The closed shop / anti competition element to it is a real sticking point. 

You coming up with hypotheticals that nobody knows about yet. Having 15 guaranteed sides per season isn’t competitive. 

Real Madrid have been in the CL forever because they’ve earned it through their league and CL performances.  

I don’t understand the Man City comparison. Since Abu Dhabi came in, Man Utd, Leicester, Chelsea & us have all won the league and other clubs have won the domestic titles as well. Like the mancs and Ferguson, Citeh will likely never have it as good again as they currently do under Guardiola. 

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Mansoor will nudge his mates to get involved to make it look competitive. Which is fine if you don't mind the club being run by people who chop journalists to bits. 

After seeing the Newcastle fans go into one after the sale to Saudis collapse and now claim to be morale guardians with a few other clubs I'd love to see their reaction is the Saudis bought out FSG

I mean I wouldn't want them near the club really but watching a few toon heads explode could be fun. 

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I think the mistake they made was keeping it so small. Had they offered a ESL2 with a smaller prize pool but relegation of a couple of places and offered that second tier of clubs Marseille, Ajax, Everton, Celtic, Rangers etc a place at the table they've have been in a far stronger position to stop the massive backlashit would have been shit still

I agree. Apart from PSG, Bayern & Dortmund, the other clubs are just pissy because they weren’t invited.

Purslow sounding off yesterday. If he was still at us, he’d have been getting into it as well. Everton would have been all over it as well. And West Ham. 

• Upvote 1

If Bin Salman is allowed to buy a Premier league club I'm completely done with the sport. The current regimes, hedgefunds and oligarchs leave a bad taste that tempt you to leave this shit behind but after what happened to Jamal Kashoggi for them to be welcomed into the fold with open arms as fit and proper owners. Fuck that. Its not a sport anymore its a cesspit