You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

11 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I do wonder what the fallout could be. There is some suggestions that we get thrown out of the PL - I can very much imagine that Everton are currently trying to persuade the other 13 teams that it is all our fault, we've duped the other 5 and therefore we should be thrown out. Probably because of Heysel (they never do miss a chance to shoehorn that in). 

But, if all 6 were thrown out - I think we would be very likely to see a couple more join the 6. And maybe look to the championship. There are some geographically big clubs in the Championship and League one - Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Sheffield, Huddersfield, Hull - and add in a few carefully chosen clubs from the League and Vanarama e.g. Bolton, Plymouth, Portsmouth,  MK Dons etc. and you suddenly have 36 teams with two leagues of 18. Offer sustainability - and the potential to play in the new league and a new cup. And suddenly we have to separate leagues. 

Loving you haven't mentioned the shite and why would you?

4 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Setting aside the obvious morality issues for just a second, this will be shit and bore everyone to fucking tears in no time. A quarter of the sides we play every year guaranteed to be English? That’ll be a really fresh and exciting addition to European football. The novelty when we play someone we’ve never faced before, the thrill when we draw someone we’ve not played for a long time, the enjoyment of planning trips to cities you’re not familiar with, the romanticism of hoping to draw old royalty like Ajax. All gone, all variety, chance and serendipity gone, to be endlessly replaced by the same thin strip of fixtures on rails twice a year every year, with a big chunk of them also repeated domestically. Be like when we played Chelsea time after time for several years in the mid-2000s and both sides became too familiar with each other. You just end up getting sick of it, like an initially catchy song which quickly has you wanting to throw your radio into an erupting volcano when you hear it ten times a day every day everywhere you go.

That's every league that exists or has existed. The number of fans who travel to every European game like your romanticised version here is a handful. Most go to the odd game and will want a trip to Spain , Itally Germany (and yes they will fucking join despite the holier than though from Bayern) rather than Midtjylland or some other minnow.

Football Changed along time ago. That version in our memory's doesn't exist anymore if it ever did. 

Where was Nevilles outrage when ManU became a listed business? When Newcastle were denied access to the Big 6, didn't want a fair share then did he?.

The Premier league did to the EFL what these guys are doing now. Its funny that all the cunts who are creaming in the $$$ now are the ones screaming the loudest about the sanctity of the game.

If nothing else watching Neville shit his pants live on Sky Sports (the home of Football my fucking arse) was the best thing they have had on in Months.

• Upvote 1

They wont throw the 6 out of the league, it will cause havoc. All the results would have to be expunged. Im guessing most of the 6 have taken points off the bottom 6 PL clubs and bottom 3. Fulham and West brom could benefit enormously from that which may drag the 3 clubs immediately above them into an even bigger relegation scrap than they are now.

Self preservation will come into play. The PL's options are limited because any sanction they apply to the 6 increases the likelihood they will start the Euro league and maybe even create another 'first division' with a couple of Championship clubs, maybe include Celtic and Rangers.

1 minute ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

The Times are now hinting that LFC may withdraw from this after the backlash from fans. 

Interesting. I can see FSG looking to get out of Dodge if 'we' do withdraw. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I can see someone pointing out how troublesome thousands of angry scouse Liverpool fans can be. Try selling £200 tickets to Asian day trippers when the City centre is awash with Ket Wigs burning anything in a Liverpool shirt! 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

This is garbage.  It's not anti-competetive, they just haven't announced how other clubs qualify. 

If 75% of the participants are guaranteed participation regardless of performance, that absolutely is anti-competitive.

I don’t known what is so hard to understand with this. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

And replaced by? Someone who wants to throw away a billion pounds in pursuit of Man City? Perhaps a Saudi Prince, or China? And then we can go back to this competitive utopia...

Stick a fork in me, I'm done. 

European Football is special because you've done the graft and built the team that gets you into the champions league! That is why it means something. 

We all shrugged when Brad Pitt shagged Angelina Jolie, but if it was me - you'd all be well impressed! Brad can shag anyone he wants, I would have achieved something by shagging Angelina. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I can see someone pointing out how troublesome thousands of angry scouse Liverpool fans can be. Try selling £200 tickets to Asian day trippers when the City centre is awash with Ket Wigs burning anything in a Liverpool shirt! 

Not just aimed at you mate but this type of shit infuriates me.  Carragher was at it last night talking about angry Liverpool fans, how they’d “smash the ground down” and have the owners “out in a week.” We got Cancer and Aids out of our club with a coordinated attack on the areas that would hurt them most and no damage was caused to anyone or any property.  This cunt of a country already has a warped view that we’re angry hooligans and language like yours there and Carragher’s last night just enforce it. 

11 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

And replaced by? Someone who wants to throw away a billion pounds in pursuit of Man City? Perhaps a Saudi Prince, or China? And then we can go back to this competitive utopia...

Stick a fork in me, I'm done. 

Well that's the thing isn't it. Who comes in there place? Out of the frying into the fire...?

3 minutes ago, elBooth said:

Not just aimed at you mate but this type of shit infuriates me.  Carragher was at it last night talking about angry Liverpool fans, how they’d “smash the ground down” and have the owners “out in a week.” We got Cancer and Aids out of our club with a coordinated attack on the areas that would hurt them most and no damage was caused to anyone or any property.  This cunt of a country already has a warped view that we’re angry hooligans and language like yours there and Carragher’s last night just enforce it. 

No worries mate, I totally understand where you are coming from - I did try to make it as flippant as possible. But, I tend to disagree - Carragher's language aside - there is an element of truth in that. This feels like a distinct attack on traditional fans and a concerted effort from the owners to make us irrelevant - I can't see Anfield/Liverpool being a particularly welcoming place if this all goes ahead. 

Thing with Hicks and Gillet - we didn't get them out, the banks wanted their money back! Broughton wanted RBS's money - that was why he was appointed. If we were dealing with Hicks and Gillett - I am not sure we would have gotten rid of them. 

39 minutes ago, index1000 said:

That's every league that exists or has existed. The number of fans who travel to every European game like your romanticised version here is a handful. Most go to the odd game and will want a trip to Spain , Itally Germany (and yes they will fucking join despite the holier than though from Bayern) rather than Midtjylland or some other minnow.

Football Changed along time ago. That version in our memory's doesn't exist anymore if it ever did. 

Where was Nevilles outrage when ManU became a listed business? When Newcastle were denied access to the Big 6, didn't want a fair share then did he?.

The Premier league did to the EFL what these guys are doing now. Its funny that all the cunts who are creaming in the $$$ now are the ones screaming the loudest about the sanctity of the game.

If nothing else watching Neville shit his pants live on Sky Sports (the home of Football my fucking arse) was the best thing they have had on in Months.

I used to go everywhere. I enjoyed the different places. Sure the tourist stadia are good to visit too, but I much preferred a trip to Turkey, Bulgaria or something much more. But it's not just the travel, it can become the same thing, like going on holiday to the same place every year - going to play the same team can start to have that feel. And in this new pile of shite, we get to be in a competition of just 20 teams and go to "Europe" with 5 in England. It's just fucking dull. 

2 minutes ago, Jockey said:

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/how-the-uk-visa-system-could-scupper-the-super-league/ - concerted effort to throw us out of the PL - would mean this has a chance to scupper any chances. 

Yeah good luck with that when the 14 Premier League clubs are allowed visas but the 6 arent. No discrimination or anti competitive forces at work there. The courts would overturn that in a flash.

Of course the 'ban' could apply to all PL clubs, who's that going to hurt again?

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I used to go everywhere. I enjoyed the different places. Sure the tourist stadia are good to visit too, but I much preferred a trip to Turkey, Bulgaria or something much more. But it's not just the travel, it can become the same thing, like going on holiday to the same place every year - going to play the same team can start to have that feel. And in this new pile of shite, we get to be in a competition of just 20 teams and go to "Europe" with 5 in England. It's just fucking dull. 

The Champions League is like that now though. You tend to get the same teams - the Pot 4 teams are really the only ones that tend to be any different - but once you get into the knockout stages - out of 16 you have PSG, Madrid, Barca, Athletic, Juve, Munich, City, Sevilla, Porto, each and every year. 

As I said earlier, the much vaunted German model has led to Munich winning 8 straight league titles and basically the only time they were challenged they went in and bought the 3 best players from Dortmund. And Dortmund's business models seems to be pretty much buy young players, and sell them on. Rinse and repeat. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah good luck with that when the 14 Premier League clubs are allowed visas but the 6 arent. No discrimination or anti competitive forces at work there. The courts would overturn that in a flash.

Of course the 'ban' could apply to all PL clubs, who's that going to hurt again?

Would they? These are government issued permits - the rules are in place and as the Govt is opposed to the breakaway they certainly won't be changing it. If we are not within the FA - then we can't get permits. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. Also, I wouldn't be so quick to suggest this Government is particularly concerned over the rule of law. They've proven that time and time again. 

Just now, Jockey said:

Would they? These are government issued permits - the rules are in place and as the Govt is opposed to the breakaway they certainly won't be changing it. If we are not within the FA - then we can't get permits. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. Also, I wouldn't be so quick to suggest this Government is particularly concerned over the rule of law. They've proven that time and time again. 

What, the same courts that found the Government had illegally used the 'royal perogative' to disband Parliament, you mean?

Im mean knock yourself out if you think some half arsed lawyer jumping the Euro League debate is onto a winner with this. The 14 clubs wont eject the 6 despite what the papers may want to tell you.