You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

Because pulling out of a long established European coalition to 'take back control' of ones own finances is clearly something Johnson would never be on board with.

Johnson never pulls out of anything (apart from the NI Protocol). It's why he's got so many kids (allegedly). 

On 19/04/2021 at 10:41, clangers said:

We finally won the title, probably a good time to call it a day.

On 19/04/2021 at 10:41, Elite said:

Greed is ruining most sports.

I think we need to accept it. It always goes this way.

Like you both Im glad we got the title before this crap started. This new SuperLeague will be poo and the domestic league will get worse.

But to be fair its kak now. City sport washing and winning most of the trophies, garbage refs, garbage VAR, garbage commentators and pundits, wall to wall over saturated coverage, social media, the echo, James pearce, Gorst and the whopper off Anfield Wrap.

• Upvote 1

Haha, daft cunts in football calling for an 'independent' regulator for English football. So that would knock the Saudi take over of Newcastle out the stadium then!

I cant wait for the day when we're all a Burnley, Fulham and West Brom, the lowest common denominator in football.

The base hypocrisy of certain figures and the desperate pandering by an horrendous Tory government is astonishing. If this, amongst all that is broken and all the suffering in this country, is something Johnson decides to throw a “legislative bomb” at then fuck it all, I hope the owners of these clubs do just expatriate their “franchises”. Let the teams left behind figure it out and try to survive on their newly revised TV deal. This should barely be on the government's radar. 

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Haha, daft cunts in football calling for an 'independent' regulator for English football. So that would knock the Saudi take over of Newcastle out the stadium then!

I cant wait for the day when we're all a Burnley, Fulham and West Brom, the lowest common denominator in football.

Spot on mate, fucking hell something has to happen , this so called best league in the world is utter garbage, sky started it and now that the chalice has been taken out of their hands they use the idiot Neville to plead their case. I just want to see good football, played between sides that attack and want to win. I am sick of pundits applauding Fat Sam and his defiant rearguard tactics , now they are all at it. Twenty two overpaid one footed wonders , run like fuck for two hours and play a square ball ten feet( if they on their good foot) , if this means that I can go and see top class skilled players, trying to win with top officials running the game then I all for it , because as it is it’s fucked!

Ex-players have every right to voice an opinion but did any of these pricks turn down a contract offer because they were getting paid too much and it was going to come from the pockets of ordinary working class fans through ticket prices, more merchandise and ever increasing Sky subs?

Did. They. Fuck. This reaction of ex-pros and politicians is nauseating, more so than businesses trying to business.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Mate, Ive no axe to grind with you. You're entitled to your opinion.

I just think we have to look at this in the round. The 12 clubs have put their necks on the line over this. They have to present a united front. I think the idea that one English club's owners would try and break ranks and franchise the club to another location shatters that unity.

I dont think the other 'European' clubs never mind the other English clubs would stand for it. That club would be in danger of being kicked out of the league and group they'd just helped established.

I agree it won't happen now. But as a possibility, would you really dismiss it? 

In 10 years time? If we are still in the premier league then yes, I think you are right - but, if we are forced to leave that - then there is no reason we don't become a 'franchise'. Tens of thousands of angry Scouse fan's is not an attractive marketing message. Those 12 can't survive as they are - they would need to bring others on board. They would need to make it a viable competition - they may have to go global to do that. And that is where I think we could be vulnerable. 

This'll likely be met with "Guardiola, he's one to talk, always working for rich clubs" shouts, but he's just been interviewed and laid down a few truths. I think. His English is still fairly poor (better than my Spanish though). He seemed to be suggesting that it's unfair to highlight the big 6 clubs looking out for themselves when literally everybody else in football does this anyway. He mentioned the 5 subs things and how, in discarding that change, clubs acted in a way that was best for them, not for the greater good or the wellbeing of players. He highlighted how UEFA and national associations acted in their best interests by playing Lewandowski in a qualifier against Andorra in which he was injured and missed playing in an important Champions League club game. Guardiola seemed to be against the whole Super League thing, but said questions needed to be answered and more information provided by the suits behind it, and not by club coaches etc. 

I do wonder what the fallout could be. There is some suggestions that we get thrown out of the PL - I can very much imagine that Everton are currently trying to persuade the other 13 teams that it is all our fault, we've duped the other 5 and therefore we should be thrown out. Probably because of Heysel (they never do miss a chance to shoehorn that in). 

But, if all 6 were thrown out - I think we would be very likely to see a couple more join the 6. And maybe look to the championship. There are some geographically big clubs in the Championship and League one - Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Sheffield, Huddersfield, Hull - and add in a few carefully chosen clubs from the League and Vanarama e.g. Bolton, Plymouth, Portsmouth,  MK Dons etc. and you suddenly have 36 teams with two leagues of 18. Offer sustainability - and the potential to play in the new league and a new cup. And suddenly we have to separate leagues. 

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

This'll likely be met with "Guardiola, he's one to talk, always working for rich clubs" shouts, but he's just been interviewed and laid down a few truths. I think. His English is still fairly poor (better than my Spanish though). He seemed to be suggesting that it's unfair to highlight the big 6 clubs looking out for themselves when literally everybody else in football does this anyway. He mentioned the 5 subs things and how, in discarding that change, clubs acted in a way that was best for them, not for the greater good or the wellbeing of players. He highlighted how UEFA and national associations acted in their best interests by playing Lewandowski in a qualifier against Andorra in which he was injured and missed playing in an important Champions League club game. Guardiola seemed to be against the whole Super League thing, but said questions needed to be answered and more information provided by the suits behind it, and not by club coaches etc. 

Yep, the nuance and the valid arguments will be missed. They always are online, and they are always are in a media frenzy. There is a lot of heavy lifting done by the bigger clubs in both the PL and the Champions League - they bring the fans and the money and the smaller clubs benefit. 

1 minute ago, Jockey said:

But, if all 6 were thrown out - I think we would be very likely to see a couple more join the 6. And maybe look to the championship. There are some geographically big clubs in the Championship and League one - Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Sheffield, Huddersfield, Hull - and add in a few carefully chosen clubs from the League and Vanarama e.g. Bolton, Plymouth, Portsmouth,  MK Dons etc. and you suddenly have 36 teams with two leagues of 18. Offer sustainability - and the potential to play in the new league and a new cup. And suddenly we have to separate leagues. 

Yes.

And the league that got the massively bigger TV deals would not not the one that absent the biggest clubs in the country. You’d be left with a situation in which a increasing number of clubs are banging on the door wanting to switch organisations.