You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

This is exactly what some people were saying in the early 90's when I used to go to matches. Almost word for word! I appreciate what the lad is saying, but FSG for all their faults revolutionised us as a business. 

Wouldn’t they just expand the league or create various super leagues and invite an already established American, Chinese, Brazilian et al sides to those leagues or the expanded leagues rather than move Liverpool to Mumbai or Manchester United to Los Angeles?

I completely agree that this would lead to further globalization of the sport, and that’s even their stated goal it seems (certainly with fans), but I think it’s hyperbolic to suggest they’re going to relocate well established clubs when it’d be easier to use existing clubs in other locations or even create entirely new clubs in other locations.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

Nearly 48 hours after the announcement and I'm still trying to work out exactly how I feel about this development. I know I don't like it, but I'm not frothing rabidly like a lot of the fuckwits that have already aired their opinions publicly.

The hypocrisy of it all is not a mere whiff but a full-on stench.

A lot of those that have already aired their opinions are people who owe their wealth and livelihood to the exact same thing happening in England nearly 30 years ago. The same thing happened in Europe with the creation of the Champions League, and then the expansion to allow non-Champions to enter thereby guaranteeing that Europe's biggest clubs would really have to make a mess of things to not even be involved. Journalists who've had a go at the idea would jump at the chance of being allowed to cover it. Shirt-burning weapons are a waste of oxygen anyway.

What confuses me is that I'd have thought this to be another shot at the bows of UEFA (and FIFA) by the bigger European clubs. UEFA basically threw FFP out of the window when exonerating Man City for flagrant breaches on a technicality. It would seem obvious that these clubs would want to take UEFA to task at some point. The problem is, Man City are one of the clubs that have signed up to this new league. Does that mean the clubs are OK with what City did? Considering PSG have not been invited does suggest that the big European clubs are not happy with sport-washing regimes. The German clubs have declined to join, supposedly because they are against the sporting merits of this new league awash with money. I suspect that in Bayern's case it is less about that, and more that they would need to completely overhaul their ownership structure, they'd be casting aside influential figures from industry, and they'd be much less of a financial behemoth in this new league than they are in Germany. Their voice wouldn't be as loud as before, and that thought unnerves them.

Was the timing of this meant to make UEFA get their arses in gear and announce how they would revise the European calendar in the years ahead? I'm not sure that's entirely the case because UEFA's plans had been discussed at length (the so-called 'Swiss model') long before they made their official announcement.

For all the talk of banning the clubs involved and their players, if all the top players are banned, then the sponsors of the affected competitions and the TV rights holders are not going to be happy to have invested so much money in an 'inferior' product. An action to ban may be lauded in many circles but it would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Both sides of this have left themselves at an impasse.

UEFA didn't exonerate City though, they gave them a two year ban. City took the matter to CAS and got it overturned.

11 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Wouldn’t they just expand the league or create various super leagues and invite an already established American, Chinese, Brazilian et al sides to those leagues or the expanded leagues rather than move Liverpool to Mumbai or Manchester United to Los Angeles?

I completely agree that this would lead to further globalization of the sport, and that’s even their stated goal it seems (certainly with fans), but I think it’s hyperbolic to suggest they’re going to relocate well established clubs when it’d be easier to use existing clubs in other locations or even create entirely new clubs in other locations.

Quite possible. I think this notion some have of the US owners 'franchising' us is a daft as shearer's 'chuck them out the league!' comment.

So in a newly united front to create a stand alone Euro League, the English club's owners, or just ours, are going to franchise the club and uproot it in China or some other major city around the world while the other members of the Euro league nod approvingly, is frankly absurd.

In a perverse way I am loving how everyone who went round saying stuff like "Liverpool are not famous anymore"; "Liverpool aren't relevant, why are they on TV so much"; "It's not all about Liverpool".

Suddenly the whole future of football rests on our shoulders.

37 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

So because 'we' and a few other clubs have US owners, we're going to go for a franchise and uproot our clubs while Real, Juve etc are going to stay put?

You really havent thought it through.

I think my problem is that I have thought it through! Every scenario and every possibility - the worst scenario is the one that worries me the most. 

I hope you are right, and I sincerely hope I am wrong. But, I don't think dismissing this as a possibility is right - at the moment it isn't a viable option. But in the future - with a self-contained global league - with global fans, it is. There has been talk of an English based NFL team! 

Intersting piece from the torygraph!

The 12 rebels behind the money-grabbing Super League launch have enraged the rest of football, the Prime Minister and even royalty - but will it really happen? Here Telegraph Sport explores the most likely scenarios in the tumultuous weeks ahead:

1. It happens as they want it to

Telegraph Sport understands Chelsea and Manchester City had been reluctant to go ahead with the plans as recently as last week, but the remaining 10 clubs are said to be "utterly determined to get this done". Legal letters issued to Uefa on Monday were the clearest evidence that the breakaway announced the night before was more than a 11th hour idle threat over Champions League reforms. The plans will go ahead if domestic competitions do not have the nerve to kick them out of their competitions. The fear amongst the remaining 14 clubs in the Premier League will be that the so-called "big six" launch their own English league. The Super League gang backed by vast wealth is confident an expensively assembled legal team can win their day in court, and eventually persuade governments that the breakaway is non-negotiable. The announcement of a fan-led review led by the former sports minister Tracey Crouch will be countered by relentless lobbying by the new competition in the coming weeks - the sweetener on offer is £10billion in solidarity payments over 23 years.

2. It happens and they leave domestic football behind

The 14 Premier League teams were being briefed by lawyers on Tuesday at a key meeting to decide the rebels' fate. A statement is set to be released by the end of the day explaining whether the clubs are willing to press the nuclear button and boot the so-called "big six" out for their treachery. Sources close to the Super League are bullish, given the Premier League is set to put its domestic TV rights out for tender within weeks. If clubs and the league do go ahead, however, the exiles would eventually attempt to lure bigger Championship clubs, and form their own domestic competition. The Football Association and Uefa has warned it will not sanction a breakaway, meaning that players and clubs could no longer compete in other official competitions. But such a move could cause the collapse of the Premier League and English Football League as we know it. Broadcast values of both would tumble, and the smaller top tier clubs who rejected Project Big Picture last October would end up with a fate even worse.

3. They're talked out of it and bargained with

The Champions League reforms from 2024 have been signed off now, but sources close to talks say commercial details have yet to be finalised. The most radical bargaining chip for Uefa will be to turn to private investment like the 12 rebels have done. As it stands, all money European competitions generate is through television rights, leading to annual distribution of around £3billion. There is potential for Uefa to increase that fund, and executives are known to be in talks over a £5.2billion cash injection from a London-based private investment firm as part of efforts to undermine the Super League's JP Morgan-backed fund. Centricus Asset Management is said to be discussing a six billion euro financing package, which would allow further reforms that could go beyond the "Swiss-system". Insiders say talks are at a very early stage, however, and Uefa is unlikely to be moved immediately from its current non-negotiable stance.

Domestically, the Premier League has a history of finding compromise positions to appease its biggest clubs. A model first offered up during Project Big Picture to give the clubs an even bigger slice of the current TV revenue system and a review of voting rights are options. The league is carrying out its own review of football governance, which could bring the rebels to the bargaining table.

4. They're punished by leagues, points deductions, relegations, bans and we have years of legal disputes

Domestic leagues will threaten relegations and points deductions, but legal experts say the existing competitions will see their best chance of victory through the courts. Legal warnings have already been exchanged between the new competition, Uefa and Fifa, with cases looming at Switzerland's Court of Arbitration for Sport and the law courts.

Katarina Pijetlovic, a reader in sports law from Manchester Metropolitan University, warned that breakaway clubs “are taking an absolutely massive risk” and that the project could be stopped through legal means which could take years. Fifa has previously threatened bans for international tournaments, but has backed away from such warnings in recent days. Uefa, however, will use every punishment at its disposal to delay the scheme which would ruin its Champions League.

Article 49 of the Uefa Statutes says the governing body has "sole jurisdiction to organise or abolish international competitions in Europe in which Member Associations and/or their clubs participate".  However, interim orders from the Super League to prevent Uefa, Fifa or national associations from implementing threats could happen quickly, allowing the Super League to start before any decision to approve or disapprove it. Either way, Pijetlovic says, “it’s a massive mess legally."

5. The voice of opposition becomes so strong they climb down for now and something re-emerges in a few years

The Super League gathered pace after the collapse of Project Big Picture, the domestic revolution first unearthed by Telegraph Sport. Chelsea and Manchester City took the most persuading to sign up and the 12 rebels are increasingly isolated by German and French teams turning their backs on the scheme. The competition hired an ex-Downing Street advisor to help land the announcement, but it's unlikely the clubs anticipated even Prince William to weigh in amid global disgust at their plans. Anger levels are unprecedented across the game, and it's possible that some of the clubs start to lose their nerve, forcing the more committed members into an eventual suspension of the plan.  

Don't expect an immediate climbdown, however. Florentino Perez, the Real Madrid president, has for the last decade been the most outspoken proponent, and his announcement as chairman of the new competition rewards his central role as an architect. The American ownerships at Manchester United and Liverpool appear equally sold too on the prospect of an NBA or NFL-style league, where franchise owners enjoy reliable profits and the valuation of teams rise steadily over time. If it does fall apart, you can guarantee the secret talks will start up again immediately.

6. They're talked out of it and there's lasting change in how football is run

As it stands, this best-case-scenario appears the least likely, but it's the position that Governments, the grass-roots game and, most of all, fans want. There is desperation within English football and at Whitehall for a more effective governance structure to redistribute the current bottleneck of vast riches. Former FA chairman David Bernstein, the Premier League and now the Government are all championing separate reviews to safeguard the stricken pyramid. Clearly, the actions of the owners of England's so-called "big six" in recent days illustrate they are also committed to a shake up of sorts. Finding consensus without offering the richest clubs even more wealth appears to be football's impossible dream.

Don't get this "earn it" talk. It is literally the 14 richest clubs who have "earned" their spot. The one you can bitch about is AC Milan.

The competitiveness thing is moot as well - LFC could get relegated from the Premeir League based on the results.

I am not sure about the viability of the project but if you want to have a go at it I don't think "earning" or "competition" are the angles to take. 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Don't get this "earn it" talk. It is literally the 14 richest clubs who have "earned" their spot. The one you can bitch about is AC Milan.

The competitiveness thing is moot as well - LFC could get relegated from the Premeir League based on the results.

I am not sure about the viability of the project but if you want to have a go at it I don't think "earning" or "competition" are the angles to take. 

It is a valid argument that Leeds did not 'earn' their Champions League slot. They took out a loan and paid for it on the never never. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I think my problem is that I have thought it through! Every scenario and every possibility - the worst scenario is the one that worries me the most. 

I hope you are right, and I sincerely hope I am wrong. But, I don't think dismissing this as a possibility is right - at the moment it isn't a viable option. But in the future - with a self-contained global league - with global fans, it is. There has been talk of an English based NFL team! 

Mate, Ive no axe to grind with you. You're entitled to your opinion.

I just think we have to look at this in the round. The 12 clubs have put their necks on the line over this. They have to present a united front. I think the idea that one English club's owners would try and break ranks and franchise the club to another location shatters that unity.

I dont think the other 'European' clubs never mind the other English clubs would stand for it. That club would be in danger of being kicked out of the league and group they'd just helped established.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You should never be guaranteed a spot in the biggest competition, you absolutely should have to qualify for it.

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

According to St Gary this isn't for the moral bastions of the game ....

And basically Ole and the players can keep shtum as it won't make a blind bit of difference but Klopp and Liverpool players can be the ones that go over the top fighting for everybody else

And if we manage to stop this all happening then we'll still have the title of the most hated club in the league

What a ratfaced shit house

Oliver Dowden can fuck off with his faux 'fan led' review. He's done fuck all to get PL games free to air outside of covid restrictions.

He wants to put a straight jacket on football. Like it or not, some clubs will always have more money and some will always not have enough.

What this cunt will propose will be a football system similar to what 'Eastern Europe' had during the 70s and 80's. State run clubs which no one wants.

Some bint just on SSN saying 'we're looking into whether these (Euro League) proposals breach competition rules'! Is she fucking kidding? Maybe she could look into the formation of the Premier League then sky's monopoly of televised sport, not just football, BT's sole UK provider of televised Champions League and Europa League for starters.

15 minutes ago, Jockey said:

It is a valid argument that Leeds did not 'earn' their Champions League slot. They took out a loan and paid for it on the never never. 

So now you are conflating two issues. Their performance on the field qualified them for the CL didn't it? Isn't that what we are talking about?