You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

5 minutes ago, Stickman said:

According to St Gary this isn't for the moral bastions of the game ....

And basically Ole and the players can keep shtum as it won't make a blind bit of difference but Klopp and Liverpool players can be the ones that go over the top fighting for everybody else

And if we manage to stop this all happening then we'll still have the title of the most hated club in the league

I mean, being charitable there, he's calling out the Man Utd ownership as the worst of the lot. He's just not being direct enough.

6 minutes ago, Stickman said:

According to St Gary this isn't for the moral bastions of the game ....

And basically Ole and the players can keep shtum as it won't make a blind bit of difference but Klopp and Liverpool players can be the ones that go over the top fighting for everybody else

And if we manage to stop this all happening then we'll still have the title of the most hated club in the league

So its on Liverpool to save football. 

Good one Gaz. And if they do you'll have no marks like Des Kelly taking the piss out of klopp again next year, telling us he's cracking up, and to get on with it as City sign Messi and Haaland, yet have a smaller wage bill than us.

• Upvote 4

It's a done deal as far as I can see. Things will never be the same. No more European Cup adventures - absolutely gutting.

Football needed changing and unfortunately those in charge have sat on their hands getting rich and fat. Meanwhile the vultures in the USA have worked behind the scenes and ripped up the whole thing and are putting in place what they want.

There were changes that could have been made but there are too many self interests.

The Premier League is too big - should have been reduced by two teams.

The Europa League is too big - go back to a cup.

Bring back the Cup winners cup for domestic cup winners.

Let 5 or 6 in England qualify for the Champions League - it's ok for teams in Spain, France, Germany and Italy - their leagues arent as cut throat so the Barcelonas and PSGs are going to quality year in year out while we've got to battle every weekend. 

I don't think we'll play in the European cup / Champions League again - that for me is pretty devastating.

5 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Setting aside the obvious morality issues for just a second, this will be shit and bore everyone to fucking tears in no time. A quarter of the sides we play every year guaranteed to be English? That’ll be a really fresh and exciting addition to European football. The novelty when we play someone we’ve never faced before, the thrill when we draw someone we’ve not played for a long time, the enjoyment of planning trips to cities you’re not familiar with, the romanticism of hoping to draw old royalty like Ajax. All gone, all variety, chance and serendipity gone, to be endlessly replaced by the same thin strip of fixtures on rails twice a year every year, with a big chunk of them also repeated domestically. Be like when we played Chelsea time after time for several years in the mid-2000s and both sides became too familiar with each other. You just end up getting sick of it, like an initially catchy song which quickly has you wanting to throw your radio into an erupting volcano.

To a lot of us maybe, but to the target markets in Asia and Africia it probably won't be. A lot of them follow players rather than clubs anyway

The Guardian live blog on this has a Manc linking to his Twitter profile about United! Lots of little digs about Klopp and the 'Merseyside Reds'. Leeds can fuck off - they went bankrupt through greed and sacked loads of people through their idiocy. 

I saw a point this morning which I think was really valid. This is a way of taking the risk out of their investments but, the massive returns are dependent upon risk. I keep watching Sky and reading the media and I see lots and lots of effort to stop this - but nobody is talking about how we make sure it doesn't happen again. I understand calling for FSG to go, and this has shifted me wholesale from being supportive of them to wanting them gone - but, our new owners will likely be a Hedge fund or a corporation, they will likely want a return on their investment! 

I'd rather the change is on the structure of ownership. I noticed Steve Parish on Newsnight saying 'nobody wants fan ownerships'! 

8 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

It's a done deal as far as I can see. Things will never be the same. No more European Cup adventures - absolutely gutting.

Football needed changing and unfortunately those in charge have sat on their hands getting rich and fat. Meanwhile the vultures in the USA have worked behind the scenes and ripped up the whole thing and are putting in place what they want.

There were changes that could have been made but there are too many self interests.

The Premier League is too big - should have been reduced by two teams.

The Europa League is too big - go back to a cup.

Bring back the Cup winners cup for domestic cup winners.

Let 5 or 6 in England qualify for the Champions League - it's ok for teams in Spain, France, Germany and Italy - their leagues arent as cut throat so the Barcelonas and PSGs are going to quality year in year out while we've got to battle every weekend. 

I don't think we'll play in the European cup / Champions League again - that for me is pretty devastating.

If these had been brought in our owners would have been even more determined to break away.

There's loads of things wrong with the way things are at the moment. This super league addresses none of them, and probably makes things worse.

I don't like the idea but the hypocrisy on show here is amazing. Everton, one of the big 5 who instigated the original breakaway super league, the premier league. Leeds with a history of attempting to gain financial advantage leading to near bankruptcy. We all know both owners would jump at the chance of an invitation. Isn't Leeds owned by a dodgy TV mogul?

4 minutes ago, J-V said:

It'll end up rebranded to that once Uefa goes tits up.

I think after much huffing and puffing we'll end up with a modified ESL under the UEFA umbrella. I'm guessing this is what the breakaway clubs are viewing as an acceptable landing spot? Always overstate your demands.

Nearly 48 hours after the announcement and I'm still trying to work out exactly how I feel about this development. I know I don't like it, but I'm not frothing rabidly like a lot of the fuckwits that have already aired their opinions publicly.

The hypocrisy of it all is not a mere whiff but a full-on stench.

A lot of those that have already aired their opinions are people who owe their wealth and livelihood to the exact same thing happening in England nearly 30 years ago. The same thing happened in Europe with the creation of the Champions League, and then the expansion to allow non-Champions to enter thereby guaranteeing that Europe's biggest clubs would really have to make a mess of things to not even be involved. Journalists who've had a go at the idea would jump at the chance of being allowed to cover it. Shirt-burning weapons are a waste of oxygen anyway.

What confuses me is that I'd have thought this to be another shot at the bows of UEFA (and FIFA) by the bigger European clubs. UEFA basically threw FFP out of the window when exonerating Man City for flagrant breaches on a technicality. It would seem obvious that these clubs would want to take UEFA to task at some point. The problem is, Man City are one of the clubs that have signed up to this new league. Does that mean the clubs are OK with what City did? Considering PSG have not been invited does suggest that the big European clubs are not happy with sport-washing regimes. The German clubs have declined to join, supposedly because they are against the sporting merits of this new league awash with money. I suspect that in Bayern's case it is less about that, and more that they would need to completely overhaul their ownership structure, they'd be casting aside influential figures from industry, and they'd be much less of a financial behemoth in this new league than they are in Germany. Their voice wouldn't be as loud as before, and that thought unnerves them.

Was the timing of this meant to make UEFA get their arses in gear and announce how they would revise the European calendar in the years ahead? I'm not sure that's entirely the case because UEFA's plans had been discussed at length (the so-called 'Swiss model') long before they made their official announcement.

For all the talk of banning the clubs involved and their players, if all the top players are banned, then the sponsors of the affected competitions and the TV rights holders are not going to be happy to have invested so much money in an 'inferior' product. An action to ban may be lauded in many circles but it would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Both sides of this have left themselves at an impasse.

If the banned the top 6 in England like Newcastle, Everton and Wolves fans want you'd see them clubs go to the wall next year when the 60-80ml wage bill needs paid and the sponsers and TV companies refuse to pay up as its not what they paid for. 

Wonder how sky, Carra and Neville morale compass would work then. 

I fully believe now that Sky and BT have gone this heavy against it because they know a deal has been done with Amazon/Dazn for rights and they are out the picture 

I think there is a lot the government could do. The most obvious one is not issue working permits to foreign players! That would severely restrict the product - at the moment we have to hope the government make it as difficult as possible for this to go ahead. 

I can see a ESL in some form in the next few years - there will be relegation but it will be difficult to get relegated. 

Just now, Istvan Kuntstain said:

What right do the government have to interfere ? free market isn't it? greed was good for a vaccine?

True. And it is massively hypocritical - but to be honest, at the moment I am not going to question the morals of it. It won't be enough of course. But I'll take it at the moment. 

I do think it is strange that our owners haven't said anything publicly - and also, they are still part of the ECA! 

I just find it all very depressing and my walking away from the game draws ever closer.  To think nearly 12 months on from the feeling of finally winning the league again to this shit show? How fucked is that??

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

What right do the government have to interfere ? free market isn't it? greed was good for a vaccine?

Correct.

Other than get 51% of Club ownership into Fan hands which is probably impossible they can fuck right off.  Uefa/PL/Sky et all have caused this with inaction (FFP) and greed.  Too right Clubs have stood up to protect their interests. 

The same very people who cry over a non VAR conspiracy, three "cheat" teams being in the CL semis and the like of City and Chelsea buying every cunt ruining the PL and cleaning up domestically near all the time act confussed when Clubs have taken matters into their own hands.

Make no mistake when the Saudi's buy Newcastle thanks to the Governemnt pushing it through say goodbye to any Champions League for us.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

He was very good in that interview. 

Just another thing on this strange Sky Sports prioritisation of wrongs: Have Neville and Carragher ever raised the human rights abuses of some club owners on their programme? 

Neville did a mini documentary on the human rights issues in Qatar while building stadiums for the world Cup. 

It basically amounted to him going over there, talking to the rich people organising it, who said everything is fine, then had a chinwag with a few of the slaves for a bit, made a couple of other token gestures which weren't very controversial then shrugged his shoulders and said somebody should do something about this before taking his paycheck for his trouble and fucking off home to his mansion in Cheshire again. 

He showed a small fraction of concern about the actual humans there, compared to what he did about this European super league the other day.

22 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Nearly 48 hours after the announcement and I'm still trying to work out exactly how I feel about this development. I know I don't like it, but I'm not frothing rabidly like a lot of the fuckwits that have already aired their opinions publicly.

The hypocrisy of it all is not a mere whiff but a full-on stench.

A lot of those that have already aired their opinions are people who owe their wealth and livelihood to the exact same thing happening in England nearly 30 years ago. The same thing happened in Europe with the creation of the Champions League, and then the expansion to allow non-Champions to enter thereby guaranteeing that Europe's biggest clubs would really have to make a mess of things to not even be involved. Journalists who've had a go at the idea would jump at the chance of being allowed to cover it. Shirt-burning weapons are a waste of oxygen anyway.

What confuses me is that I'd have thought this to be another shot at the bows of UEFA (and FIFA) by the bigger European clubs. UEFA basically threw FFP out of the window when exonerating Man City for flagrant breaches on a technicality. It would seem obvious that these clubs would want to take UEFA to task at some point. The problem is, Man City are one of the clubs that have signed up to this new league. Does that mean the clubs are OK with what City did? Considering PSG have not been invited does suggest that the big European clubs are not happy with sport-washing regimes. The German clubs have declined to join, supposedly because they are against the sporting merits of this new league awash with money. I suspect that in Bayern's case it is less about that, and more that they would need to completely overhaul their ownership structure, they'd be casting aside influential figures from industry, and they'd be much less of a financial behemoth in this new league than they are in Germany. Their voice wouldn't be as loud as before, and that thought unnerves them.

Was the timing of this meant to make UEFA get their arses in gear and announce how they would revise the European calendar in the years ahead? I'm not sure that's entirely the case because UEFA's plans had been discussed at length (the so-called 'Swiss model') long before they made their official announcement.

For all the talk of banning the clubs involved and their players, if all the top players are banned, then the sponsors of the affected competitions and the TV rights holders are not going to be happy to have invested so much money in an 'inferior' product. An action to ban may be lauded in many circles but it would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Both sides of this have left themselves at an impasse.

My take on City, is the new agreement is 55% of income on wages. FFP was retrospectively introduced so legally it was easier to fight/ignore. City are going into this and agreeing to FFP as a condition of signing up. Hence, like the traditional clubs want now, City are fine as long as FFP is relevant.

PSG have been invited but chose to say no.

The idea that PSG and Bayern are against clubs just buying success at the detriment of other clubs is a truly wonderful ignoring of every single fact you can find.*

* This is a call out of the moral guardians of the game and not you.

Just seen the most ironic or hypocritical picture ever: city fan with a flag 'RIP mcfc 1894-2021'!

I think he's about 15 years late.

Just seen shearer on BBC saying chuck the PL 6 out of the league. Honestly, these thick cunts dont think things through, do they?

JB immediately put him right, do that and the PL sponsors will immediately cut back their sponsorship and you're making certain the clubs will go it alone.

This stuff with fans backing Government intervention, shouldnt they be asking Government what have you done to put PL football back on free to air tv when covid restrictions are lifted, fans back in stadiums and sky \ BT go back to their normal televising of games?