You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

6 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Not sure what Wenger's job is these days but he was on Bein sport for one of our games.

Basically said (presumably from a FIFA study) young people aren't interested in watching football now, they want to have access to goals as they happen. Not watch a live match. Guess this is what Perez is alluding to.

sky/BT must have been aware of this report so I doubt if its as big a shock as they are making out.

Be interested to see if chelski get the same shit as we did tonight.

I read somewhere that on a champions league night on BT there are 5 times as many viewers watch the goals show rather than individual matches, and that included a lot of fans of the teams playing that night.. because they like the goals and highlights rather than the full match.. weird 

I can't understand that at all but I can't say it surprises me when fucking TikTok is a super popular app amongst younger people and most of it is short video clips of challenges, random people thinking they're giving life advice, or quick jokes.

Don't get me wrong highlights have their place, particularly if you couldn't watch the game and didn't swerve the result/don't have time later either, but to prefer them just misses the point for me.

There is a long history of the money men wanting to do weird shit with football. Bigger goals, four quarters and scrap draws causes it's boring. They are always looking for ways they can put extra advert breaks in because the sponsors want more for their money. 

Putting aside how wrong a super league is - Oligarchs, venture capitalists and Sheikhs seems like a dangerous plan to have more say in the rules - the rulebook will be influenced even more by sponsors. 

9 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

A lot of this comes from the creation of the Champions League. Some clubs rely on that money to compete. When there's other clubs who don't need the CL money and can then dominate when a team that does doesn't qualify for the CL, it's a natural reaction and progression that clubs with a big pulling power will look for other ways to remain competitive. 

The game is fucked up and needs to change. 

The CL money distorted the game far

more than PL breakaway. Even in small leagues like the Irish League some clubs use that cash to operate nearly full time in a part time league. 

It’ll never happen & maybe it’s too late but that cash should be distributed across entire pyramids to build the game equally.

7 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

What's the score with referees? Could this be defeated by something as simple as refusing to release/contractually prohibiting match officials from officiating in this new competition? 

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The super league would just pick the best refs in Europe and offer them far more than domestic football would and they'd be in the same as the players 

Yup. Clattenberg will be licking  his lips.

54 minutes ago, Thoth said:

I read somewhere that on a champions league night on BT there are 5 times as many viewers watch the goals show rather than individual matches, and that included a lot of fans of the teams playing that night.. because they like the goals and highlights rather than the full match.. weird 

Aren’t there CL games at 1700/1800? People at work, with the family for dinner, etc. All done to maximise £££ of course. 

To be fair I might actually watch MOTD if it wasn’t on in the middle of the night. 

On a side note, in amongst all the cynicism it’s refreshing to see some naïveté regards Man City suddenly caring about financial rules because they’ve written them. Or that Peres / Agnelli will be the arbiters of justice when they find the team most likely winning this thing suddenly have been fiddling the books. City won’t play fair & they’re not getting kicked out for it. 

2 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

There is a long history of the money men wanting to do weird shut with football. Bigger goals,  four quarters and scrap draws causes it's boring. They are always looking for ways they can put extra advert breaks in because the sponsors want more for their money. 

Putting aside how wrong a super league is - Oligarchs, venture capitalists and Sheikhs seems like a dangerous plan to have more say in the rules - the rulebook will be influenced even more by sponsors. 

Yea I can live with the idea of this Super League as alternative to the CL even if I don't think it's necessarily the best way to reform that competition or football as a whole. If they completely change the game though then that's another thing entirely. I would say the only timing rule change I could see being a good idea is just stopping the clock when the ball goes out of touch and for set pieces, and that's only because I've had enough of players writhing on the ground for 5 minutes to kill a game or the new one which has been them actually walking back onto the pitch before going down as it never seems to all get made up in stoppage time (not to mention they do it in stoppage time as well). Then again if the refs just carded that behavior it wouldn't happen as much.

I do wonder if that study Thoth mentioned was influenced by the Pandemic and lack of fans being able to really gather for the game anywhere. I'm not sure what the rules are across Europe regarding private gatherings and/or pubs being open etc. I know here in CA they've opened most things to a limited capacity with masks being required except when actively eating or drinking (though the latter is hardly enforced).

55 minutes ago, Thoth said:

Sounds about right.

Clubs can obviously see were the cash is going to come from in the future so striking early 

On the same show he also said he wasn't in favour of the new champions league format.

Also working on automated var reviews.

8 hours ago, skaro said:

Quite a few of those 9 matches would get a bit meaningless though from around the half-way point, wouldn't they?

Or do all 20 teams get through to the knockout stage:  ie. Top of Group A vs bottom of Group B... second-top of Group A vs second-bottom of Group B etc...

Are you in, Baz?  Or is this just the sort of shite we expected to finally make us pack football in?

They're doing a play off system though aren't they, so quite a lot of places will be up for grabs? It's not like there's not lots of dead rubbers already. 

As for being in - I'm most definitely not in, but I don't feel as passionately as say @Brownie is. For me this has been the agenda all along from the American owners here, it's why they're here and in terms of increasing capital value of the clubs, they don't even need more money, they just need to lose the risk of "relegation" from the CL - that will increase the value overnight. That's the bottom line here, making strong and predictable revenues, rather than having to plan in the dark. And of course control some spending. I've been unhappy with this ownership since pretty much day 1. At every turn they've shown that they're here to milk every cent from us. I've said all along they don't want the likes of me in the stadium. They want it to be a tourist activity and if this ESL drive away a few more thousand of us "legacy fans", well fsg and the others will be fucking delighted. 

But all this talk of it killing the game. Well it'll kill the football we knew - but how long have I been banging on that this is entertainment and not sport? Our objective is not to win, but to just ensure we are where the millions are. We've got that now. For me the game I knew is dead already and this is just perhaps the curtain being pulled back and everyone holding their hands up "yeah, you got us, it's just a money go round, it's not sport". 

This coupled with this VAR shite just has me shrugging my shoulders thinking what's the fucking point. I've got about a month when the ST renewals have to be in to make up my mind if I gib it all together. For years I've been going as my mates I've been going to the match with for 40 years, I'll probably rarely see If i don't go the game. My love of the game has been drained out of me almost week by week since Istanbul. 

7 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I think that statement from Perez means fuck all really, they all signed the contracts sure but they could decide to dissolve the league if a mutually beneficial and better received alternative was put forward. That's basically just him saying that these 12 are solidified in this stance and will be negotiated with as a block or not at all.

Yeah, but it probably locks in some of the clubs who may walk away alone. 

7 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

They let Perez loose and the results are in. 

How fucking depressing. 

45 minutes ago, Anubis said:

And there a little spark of light in the greed machine that is football. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Anubis said:

He was very good in that interview. 

Just another thing on this strange Sky Sports prioritisation of wrongs: Have Neville and Carragher ever raised the human rights abuses of some club owners on their programme? 

• Upvote 3

I've thought long and hard about this and looked through everything available and all I can see, if this comes to fruition, is sport as spectacle, not competition.

I don't think it would happen, but if it does I think naturally I'll move away.

The English league would suffer as the the competition disappears as 'The Big Six' save their energies, or put their second string out, to compete in the ESL. Maybe they'll just be two squads, the moneys there. If they are faltering in the ESL what's the point of trying if there's no relegation, so in both competitions there could be a natural apathy.

It could end up where you have a team playing for nothing in both competitions as there's no jeopardy and that's what keeps us coming back, right?

This has not been fully thought through and should never have made it past 'brain storming'.

I think we’re screwed as a club and a group of legacy supporters regardless of what happens now.

Either it goes ahead, or FSG sulk and don’t even feign interest any more, sitting on their investment for a few years until a sales opportunity arises. 

Success was fun while it lasted though.

19 minutes ago, J-V said:

It has most definitely has been fully thought through.  Thats one thing that can’t be levelled at this.

As a stand alone league, perhaps, but as two league system, not a chance.

There are far too many variables which reduce competition and hence the interest in both.

All well and good saying 'Look at the American system', but this isn't that, it a frankenstein's monster of an idea with nothing but greed at it's centre.

This is testing the water for a proper European league, which, despite our protestations, would work. This hybrid system doesn't stand a chance as both 'products' suffer because of the other and would reduce the quilaty in both because of the stipulations they both contain.

36 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Yea I can live with the idea of this Super League as alternative to the CL even if I don't think it's necessarily the best way to reform that competition or football as a whole. If they completely change the game though then that's another thing entirely. I would say the only timing rule change I could see being a good idea is just stopping the clock when the ball goes out of touch and for set pieces, and that's only because I've had enough of players writhing on the ground for 5 minutes to kill a game or the new one which has been them actually walking back onto the pitch before going down as it never seems to all get made up in stoppage time (not to mention they do it in stoppage time as well). Then again if the refs just carded that behavior it wouldn't happen as much.

I do wonder if that study Thoth mentioned was influenced by the Pandemic and lack of fans being able to really gather for the game anywhere. I'm not sure what the rules are across Europe regarding private gatherings and/or pubs being open etc. I know here in CA they've opened most things to a limited capacity with masks being required except when actively eating or drinking (though the latter is hardly enforced).

Along the way you can be sure all changes that will increase the value of the Brand will be made. Could be rules of the game, transfer rules, colour of shirts, when the games are being played, where they are being played, name of the club and so on. As long as the business case is positive these any change will be made. To an extent this may already be the case in football, but I have no doubt this will get a lot worse if a closed circle of clubs get full control of things.

According to St Gary this isn't for the moral bastions of the game ....

And basically Ole and the players can keep shtum as it won't make a blind bit of difference but Klopp and Liverpool players can be the ones that go over the top fighting for everybody else

And if we manage to stop this all happening then we'll still have the title of the most hated club in the league

Just now, Stickman said:

According to St Gary this isn't for the moral bastions of the game ....

So basically Ole and the players can keep shtum as it won't make a blind bit of difference but Klopp and Liverpool players can be the ones that go over the top fighting for everybody else

And if we manage to stop this all happening then we'll still have the title of the most hated club in the league

And he was trying his damnedest last night to make sure this would be the case.

Setting aside the obvious morality issues for just a second, this will be shit and bore everyone to fucking tears in no time. A quarter of the sides we play every year guaranteed to be English? That’ll be a really fresh and exciting addition to European football. The novelty when we play someone we’ve never faced before, the thrill when we draw someone we’ve not played for a long time, the enjoyment of planning trips to cities you’re not familiar with, the romanticism of hoping to draw old royalty like Ajax. All gone, all variety, chance and serendipity gone, to be endlessly replaced by the same thin strip of fixtures on rails twice a year every year, with a big chunk of them also repeated domestically. Be like when we played Chelsea time after time for several years in the mid-2000s and both sides became too familiar with each other. You just end up getting sick of it, like an initially catchy song which quickly has you wanting to throw your radio into an erupting volcano when you hear it ten times a day every day everywhere you go.

• Upvote 3