You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

Haha, if City not needing the money is the reason it wouldn't go ahead then people really do need to stop and think about this a bit more before joining in the outrage.

I just tried to neg my own comment for quoting Gary Neville. Can someone else do it as it won’t let me.

• Downvote 1

Guest Alex_K
5 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

John Henry would be white Mike

The Ev will be fiending like Bubbles with their wage-bill when the funding is pulled

24 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I think I have been naive. Why do they care now? But not before? 
Those headlines sicken me in a way.

A mixture of nationalism self-interest and the bandwagon our media can jump on. They have come to the right end result for the wrong reasons I think.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

A mixture of nationalism self-interest and the bandwagon our media can jump on. They have come to the right end result for the wrong reasons I think.

Or direct instructions from the Murdoch empire?

(it’s so sad, price Phillip would have loved these new Europe big matches)

9 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Do people really think football matches are too long? I feel like it's the fastest team sport going. NFL and MLB are 3-4 hour prospects on any given night and the NBA is at least 2 hours. That's not even mentioned autoracing.

As someone who has regularly watched every major American sport for years, football is by far the most enjoyable, tv-friendly viewing experience. Excluding competitions where extra time is possible, broadcasts are max 2 hours, commercial free, except at half time. It's one million times more watchable than the NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL.

Flo surely took a bump of coke before he said that there, he's clearly feeling himself.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Just to throw a grenade in here, anyone remember how keen these current custodians and founding fathers of the new brave football landscape are to play home games abroad? 

That was sucadmore's idea and not the club owners though. In other words, it's what the CEO of the very same Premier League now blowing smoke about the Euro League wanted.

And what of their pre season PL Cup tourney in the Far East? Yet more unbridled hypocrisy from them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That was sucadmore's idea and not the club owners though. In other words, it's what the CEO of the very same Premier League now blowing smoke about the Euro League wanted.

And what of their pre season PL Cup tourney in the Far East? Yet more unbridled hypocrisy from them.

So much revisionism and amnesia already on display. They want us to have their backs now? I’m against this new thing but I’m not fighting for these cunts.

Im apathetic and its the way they’ve wanted me since 1992, an obedient passionate consumer.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

So much revisionism and amnesia already on display. They want us to have their backs now? I’m against this new thing but I’m not fighting for these cunts.

Im apathetic and its the way they’ve wanted me since 1992, an obedient passionate consumer.

Are you suggesting the clubs wanted the 39th game played abroad and scudamore stopped it? Im confused now!

Just now, dockers_strike said:

Are you suggesting the clubs wanted the 39th game played abroad and scudamore stopped it?

I’m suggesting Scud, as chief executive of the PL, would have consulted club owners before testing the water. He was the bogeyman, but they were into it. And it will happen again in this new thing.

1 minute ago, Reckoner said:

I’m suggesting Scud, as chief executive of the PL, would have consulted club owners before testing the water. He was the bogeyman, but they were into it. And it will happen again in this new thing.

Not from what I remember, it was totally a scudamore thing. Yeah he consulted the clubs and they told him to do one on it.

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Not from what I remember, it was totally a scudamore thing. Yeah he consulted the clubs and they told him to do one on it.

It was probably due to the fan reaction at the time. But the likes of the Glazers were well into it. Probably FSG too now.

im speculating on that but my main point mate, was this new thing has eg “Liverpool v Barcelona at the crown Prince our saviour glorious Arena bowl” written all over it.

17 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

What's the score with referees? Could this be defeated by something as simple as refusing to release/contractually prohibiting match officials from officiating in this new competition? 

Someone photoshop Jon Moss in a superman suit?

29 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

What's the score with referees? Could this be defeated by something as simple as refusing to release/contractually prohibiting match officials from officiating in this new competition? 

The super league would just pick the best refs in Europe and offer them far more than domestic football would and they'd be in the same as the players 

Neville is a narcissistic tool. He was happy to bin off the FA cup and go to brazil for money and that could have killed the FA cup and damaged the league but he didn't give a shit. Let's not forget how front and center yernited were int the premier league and sky 'revolution'. He's using this as a way to have a go at us and look like the good guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

Neville is a narcissistic tool. He was happy to bin off the FA cup and go to brazil for money and that could have killed the FA cup and damaged the league but he didn't give a shit. Let's not forget how front and center yernited were int the premier league and sky 'revolution'. He's using this as a way to have a go at us. 

The devaluation of the FA cup

was the start of all this. Cheapening of tradition, because they will never have it.

But what could Gary Neville have done at the time? Realistically?

1 minute ago, Reckoner said:

The devaluation of the FA cup

was the start of all this. Cheapening of tradition, because they will never have it.

But what could Gary Neville have done at the time? Realistically?

Not played and given his reasons.