You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

The funniest thing that could happen is if the 15 clubs eventually stop playing in their domestic leagues, and every other league becomes a second division to the ESL's top flight. And then instead of transfers between themselves they'd just have a draft where the teams just pick the best players from the other smaller clubs all around the world every year to add to their squads. It would be legitimately hilarious if football just  became like an American sport. You'd all spontaneously combust.

If I was a newbie on this forum I would have started a thread outlining that idea. Top, top trolling opportunity that would have been.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wouldn't say that this forum isn't against it?

It's more about the hypocrisy of certain people/organisation's presenting themselves as these white knights riding in to save our game, when they have been a big part of the problem for many years.   

I'm completely against it. It sounds boring as hell as well as totally unjust. 

4 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I loved Carragher as a player. And mostly like him as a pundit. But he clearly serves the Sky agenda on this, intentionally or otherwise. And that agenda was embarrassingly apparent tonight. 

I may be naive mate, but I couldn’t disagree more with that agenda point.

A lot of people have tried to sound clever regarding the 1992 point. He faced it head on. Sky have a lot to lose, but if this happens the TV rights have to be sold to someone remember, and Sky would be in pole position.

I hate sounding like a bot defending fucking Sky of all people! But I’ve long been impressed with the honesty shown in MNF post match discussions. Tonight was good.

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

But aren't they invited on the basis their spending will be curtailed?

Exactly, the clubs will make their own FFP rules and be free to chuck them out of the biggest prestige competition in town.  They can spend all they like and just win the PL, when everyone will see them chucked out of the ESL for not playing fairly.  They will conform or be exposed.  It's basically the big old clubs doing the job that UEFA wouldn't do.  You have to applaud that. But the media don't want to mention this.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

How about they're told to fuck off and proper European clubs like Ajax and Sevilla are invited instead?

There’s nothing stopping them being invited as it is.  The idea of having Coty etc in it was to actually keep them to FFP not the bollocks UEFA did or didn’t actually do.

You’ve got loads of people in here crying about these chest clubs being in the semis yet the same people are in tears over this.

Uefa had the chance they tucked up.  Sky had the chance they fucked over the fans and made themselves and a bunch of other cunts rich whilst destroying clubs along the way.  Fuck them.

1 minute ago, Reckoner said:

A lot of people have tried to sound clever regarding the 1992 point. He faced it head on. Sky have a lot to lose, but if this happens the TV rights have to be sold to someone remember, and Sky would be in pole position.

I hate sounding like a bot defending fucking Sky of all people! But I’ve long been impressed with the honesty shown in MNF post match discussions. Tonight was good.

The reaction by Sky makes it pretty clear that they won't be involved. It's probably why they are so angry about it!

I would expect that the clubs will either stream it through their own websites/tv channels or they will create some form of Super League Netflix subscription service?

• Upvote 1

I remember up in Scotland years ago when it seemed like every summer that both Celtic and Rangers were threatening to bin off the Scottish laegue and go it alone. Every time they'd win some concession, often money based, and the threat was staved off for another year or so.

I loved it when the other teams had finally had enough and called the Old Firm's bluff, every other team resigning from the league thus leaving Celtic and Rangers in a league of two. Genius, those 2 Glasgow giants soon came crawling back to the table, tails between their legs.

11 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

It's a sad indictment of FSG's involvement in all this, that a basketball player, due to his increased investment, would have known about this at an early stage, but not club manager, Jurgen Klopp.

And that basketball player and his redbird buddies were probably persuaded to invest on the back of it. 

11 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think this will fail commercially. Imagine games towards the end of the season between the bottom clubs, nothing to play for but no fear of relegation. Who is going to bother watching or buy a £75 ticket for Arsenal versus Barcelona in a game with nothing at stake. The advertisers will quickly catch on that meaningless games in half empty stadiums are not worth paying for and it will slowly die as a concept

It's not a league in that way. It's 2 leagues of 10, with each club playing 9 matches before a knockout tournament. 

8 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

A potential angle to this which I've not seen mentioned before...

If FIFA goes ahead and bans any player who's played in the ESL from competing in international football, as has been reported. Hypothetically, say Van Dyke refuses to retire from captaining Holland, what's to say he won't sue our club for breach of contract?

I think if anyone won a court case (such as uefa/FIFA) that prevents a footballer playing internationally because of a competion change from the clubs, it would certainly come under something like restraint of trade or anti-trust type rules. But it's just never going to come to that. It's all about money. Just as it's in the club's interests to milk the fuck out of club football, there's millions to be had with international football, which needs the players. 

One way or another there will be a compromise here. It might be an uneasy compromise, but there's too much money at stake for it not to get resolved. And it's all about money. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, J-V said:

Uefa had the chance they tucked up.  Sky had the chance they fucked over the fans fans and make themselves and a bunch of other hunts rich whilst destroying clubs along the way.  Fuck them.

Ive got to admit,  Sky and UEFA and the rest that have long betrayed traditional fans since 1992, now calling for solidarity and support from us is pretty funny.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I read that the ESL chosen broadcaster is DAZN?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

How about they're told to fuck off and proper European clubs like Ajax and Sevilla are invited instead?

Well I'd agree to an extent, same goes for Arsenal and Tottenham, but that's not the reality of the current situation.  They've been really short sighted though by opting for so few free spaces, a ratio of 15/5 is really poor. Still got to wonder if it's their starting point in negotiations with UEFA.

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Exactly, the clubs will make their own FFP rules and be free to chuck them out of the biggest prestige competition in town.  They can spend all they like and just win the PL, when everyone will see them chucked out of the ESL for not playing fairly.  They will conform or be exposed.  It's basically the big old clubs doing the job that UEFA wouldn't do.  You have to applaud that. But the media don't want to mention this.  

That's how I see it as well and whilst I can understand the uproar I think it's the point most are missing. It's also what makes the backlash from UEFA and FIFA (allegedly?) ridiculous as well. I suspect any issue FIFA, if there is one, have would be rectified with the Super League clubs all agreeing to participate in their reformed Club World Cup plans though, maybe a few brown envelopes for good measure.

I think I'm in the camp as most here, I don't particularly want this league to happen but I'm equally not going to join in the hyperbole and twist the knife into the club for making sure they have a seat at the table. Like you said I do admire these clubs saying enough is enough we're starting our own party and if you want in you need to keep the playing field level.

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The reaction by Sky makes it pretty clear that they won't be involved. It's probably why they are so angry about it!

I would expect that the clubs will either stream it through their own websites/tv channels or they will create some form of Super League Netflix subscription service?

That's exactly it. It's not just that their principal asset risks being devalued. It's that the entire football media rights landscape will be transformed. 

Guest Alex_K
54 minutes ago, Judge said:

They are not relevant. They are purely «money clubs» and this was expected from them. It was not expected from LFC, so it is no surprise that we get the hardest reactions.

What constitutes a "money club"? On whose watch and under whose authority were "money clubs" created? Are "money clubs" only relevant when they sweep trophies from non-"money clubs"? In which case, are they highly relevant? Or are they still, then, not relevant, and if so has the entire game not become irrelevant under the watchful eyes of the authorities and governance boards who facilitated this and often celebrated this?

12 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It's basically the big old clubs doing the job that UEFA wouldn't do.  You have to applaud that. But the media don't want to mention this.

Yes. This is also being examined purely from a British perspective. Such is the debt accrued by the old European Giants in trying to keep pace with the City and PSGs of the world, that this kind of competition may be one of the few ways in which they remain a going concern.

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's not a league in that way. It's 2 leagues of 10, with each club playing 9 matches before a knockout tournament. 

Quite a few of those 9 matches would get a bit meaningless though from around the half-way point, wouldn't they?

Or do all 20 teams get through to the knockout stage:  ie. Top of Group A vs bottom of Group B... second-top of Group A vs second-bottom of Group B etc...

Are you in, Baz?  Or is this just the sort of shite we expected to finally make us pack football in?

Sky are self-serving dickheads responsible for a lot of football's ills - check.

The current system means that pretty much all titles will be won by City, Chelsea and United if they get a decent manager unless a Liverpool or Arsenal have a Jurgen or a young Wenger. Maybe a once in 20 or 30 years season a random club might win it - check.

A majority or at least a very large minority of football fans are complete dickheads in this country - check.

The FA and UEFA are part of the problem - check.

Historic clubs like Benfica, Celtic, Steau and Ajax etc just cannon fodder financially for no mark clubs - check

Nothing we didn't know. I hate most fans in this country with their agro towards us. I hate Tyler with his blatant dislike for us.

You know what I hate most though. These greedy bastards taking my club away from me. Puting us in a league I ethically can't stand and then see the club moved to Seoul or Mumbai when they realise that's more profitable than a half filled Anfield just like franchises in the NFL. I hate me begrudging parents taking their kids to Anfield for an ESL game if the club even stays there because that is wrong.

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Yes. This is also being examined purely from a British perspective. Such is the debt accrued by the old European Giants in trying to keep pace with the City and PSGs of the world, that this kind of competition may be one of the few ways in which they remain a going concern.

This is important. Aren’t Barca like seriously screwed at the moment? Like really really seriously?

5 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

That's how I see it as well and whilst I can understand the uproar I think it's the point most are missing. It's also what makes the backlash from UEFA and FIFA (allegedly?) ridiculous as well. I suspect any issue FIFA, if there is one, have would be rectified with the Super League clubs all agreeing to participate in their reformed Club World Cup plans though, maybe a few brown envelopes for good measure.

I think I'm in the camp as most here, I don't particularly want this league to happen but I'm equally not going to join in the hyperbole and twist the knife into the club for making sure they have a seat at the table. Like you said I do admire these clubs saying enough is enough we're starting our own party and if you want in you need to keep the playing field level.

So what's gained from including Man City, Chelsea, and probably PSG? Their "legacy" fanbase is limited enough. They're politically toxic. So, if you're not going to allow them to spend obscene amounts...? 

1 minute ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Sky are self-serving dickheads responsible for a lot of football's ills - check.

The current system means that pretty much all titles will be won by City, Chelsea and United if they get a decent manager unless a Liverpool or Arsenal have a Jurgen or a young Wenger. Maybe a once in 20 or 30 years season a random club might win it - check.

A majority or at least a very large minority of football fans are complete dickheads in this country - check.

The FA and UEFA are part of the problem - check.

Historic clubs like Benfica, Celtic, Steau and Ajax etc just cannon fodder financially for no mark clubs - check

Nothing we didn't know. I hate most fans in this country with their agro towards us. I hate Tyler with his blatant dislike for us.

You know what I hate most though. These greedy bastards taking my club away from me. Puting us in a league I ethically can't stand and then see the club moved to Seoul or Mumbai when they realise that's more profitable than a half filled Anfield just like franchises in the NFL. I hate me begrudging parents taking their kids to Anfield for an ESL game if the club even stays there because that is wrong.

Fuck the Baltimore Rats. Go Browns. #woofwoof

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think what's driving sky and BT's reaction, for whatever reason and I could guess at a few such as scheduling televised PL games for clubs involved in Europeat 12.30 on a Saturday etc, is they havent been asked to be primary broadcaster so they've taken their ball home.

Im pretty sure Sky and BT have been dead against own club tv channels streaming games and other obstacles. Just why would clubs wanting to do this engage with sky \ BT if they are blocking it? Why not go for another provider who is on board?

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

It's no coincidence that after 12 months of Covid that its PSG, City and Chelsea that are making up 3 of the 4 semi final spots whereas Barcelona and Madrid are in precarious financial positions.