You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

If I was Chief Exec of this potential ESL, item no 1 would be a charm offensive to try and get the media and the fans onboard.

To attempt that...

1. Competitively price the product. Undercut Sky and BT by at least a £10er a month if at all possible

2. Bin VAR

3. No English officials

4. No international football

It's only replacing the Champions League and has no bearing on Fifa/International football.

There’s always been a bit of divide with the fan base over FSG and how good or bad as owners they are.

Throwing Klopp and the players under the bus like that tonight was as bad as it gets for me.

Looks Like they didn’t have the decency to front up and brief the manager and players.

If they do eventually backtrack on this super league they’ve pretty much burnt any bridges with supporters.

9 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think the structure of the game needs ripping up and starting again from scratch. 

If anything, fewer games. Smaller European competitions. Resurrect the domestic Cup competitions. Incentivise them. Make a cup win have more benefit than a top 4 finish. Give Champions League places to the title winner and maybe the runner up. And another one to the domestic cup winner. Bang the League Cup winner in the Europa or maybe a CL qualifier with a guaranteed Europa place. 

A lot of this comes from the creation of the Champions League. Some clubs rely on that money to compete. When there's other clubs who don't need the CL money and can then dominate when a team that does doesn't qualify for the CL, it's a natural reaction and progression that clubs with a big pulling power will look for other ways to remain competitive. 

The game is fucked up and needs to change. 

It does. But it won’t. AWS mentioned earlier he missed the old First Division. That’s what we need to go back to but it’ll never happen because the whole sport is a money machine.

2 minutes ago, J-V said:

It's only replacing the Champions League and has no bearing on Fifa/International football.

I've seen it mentioned that FIFA are prepared to ban any player who's participated in it from playing for their national team. A lot like the Kerrie Packer cricket circus.

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I've seen it mentioned that FIFA are prepared to ban any player who's participated in it from playing for their national team. A lot like the Kerrie Packer cricket circus.

Breakaway World Cup, someone get on the blower to Henry and Co.

9 minutes ago, Judge said:

Yeah, but where the underdogs, the little clubs, always has had a chance to participate and go for the big prizes.

What's the furthest a little club has got in the CL since it's incarnation? And how often has that occurred?

What other big prizes will be affected in this way and why?

17 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Sky started this ball rolling.

When Sky annexed the old 1st Division and rebranded it as the Premiership, making a fortune from subscriptions and PPV's it set a precedent, it released the genie from the bottle.

Over in sunny Madrid and Barcelona, their eyes were turned westwards and they grew green with envy when they saw the money that English clubs were making from this new tv deal.

The ESL is wrong on so many levels and I really hope that it fails but make no mistake, the outburst and the bitterness being shown by Sky is down to one thing: jealousy. If Sky have the opportunity to bid for rights to broadcast the ESL then they'll be at it like a rat up a drainpipe.

At least Carragher acknowledged his and the Sky hypocrisy. Neville did not.

Sky had a monopoly on EPL broadcast rights for many years until  games were packaged up and put out for tender, competition was allowed to enter the fray.

Earlier this season, during lockdown, those same Sky hypocrites dared to charge £14.95 PPV fee to watch fucking Burnley vs fucking Newcastle! I take any Sky criticisms of this ESL with a large and spiteful pinch of salt.

Armchair fans too; those who choose to allow themselves to be ripped off by subscribing to Sky and BT and their scandalous fees have each contributed to this state of affairs.

Fuck Sky off, get an IPTV sub instead.

I hate this ESL already, but I hate the Sky hypocrisy just as much.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

It does. But it won’t. AWS mentioned earlier he missed the old First Division. That’s what we need to go back to but it’ll never happen because the whole sport is a money machine.

Neville had the cheek to say after the match that it'd all be artificial and made up from scratch, adding that they wouldn't even have a trophy to play for, that they'd need to construct a brand new one.

Exactly like the Premiership then.

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

What's the furthest a little club has got in the CL since it's incarnation? And how often has that occurred?

What other big prizes will be affected in this way and why?

Final if you class Monaco and Porto as little Clubs compared to the other Major ones.  That will never happen again in the CL.

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

That was UEFA and ceferin talking about banning players wasnt it? I was under the impression FIFA were a bit more circumspect.

Leeds United - 63% owned by a sports media rights proprietor and 37% owned by the San Francisco fucking 49ers - adopting the moral high ground? Player t-shirts, seating banners, fans outside the ground... fucking airplane banners! Totally spontaneous moral outrage! Give me a break. 

Not one English club has refused an ESL offer. And not one would. Certainly not Leeds fucking United.

It's an absolute shit show. But the hypocrisy is something to behold... 

• Upvote 4

I thought Carra was great tonight in confronting head on the claims of hypocrisy regarding him working for Sky. The abuse off some on here is nothing short of disgraceful to a modern club legend. It’s fashionable on here but you can fuck off. Disagreeing about what he says about a match doesn’t warrant the personal attacks. He did more for the club than you ever will, and as someone who lives local I’m constantly hearing non publicised stories about how he goes above and beyond for the community.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I thought Carra was great tonight in confronting head on the claims of hypocrisy regarding him working for Sky. The abuse off some on here is nothing short of disgraceful to a modern club legend. It’s fashionable on here but you can fuck off. Disagreeing about what he says about a match doesn’t warrant the personal attacks. He did more for the club than you ever will, and as someone who lives local I’m constantly hearing non publicised stories about how he goes above and beyond for the community.

What was his response to claims of hypocrisy? A guy who made millions out of a breakaway English super league? And now works for the media company that made that possible? 

This bullshit started in '92. Make no mistake. 

Just now, Josef Svejk said:

What was his response to claims of hypocrisy? A guy who made millions out of a breakaway English super league? And now works for the media company that made that possible? 

Basically yes. And how these simplistic moronic accusations clearly hurt him. Mainly that the competitive element was still there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

He held his hand up and recognised it. Fair play to him.

Neville did not.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Reckoner said:

Basically yes. And how these simplistic moronic accusations clearly hurt him. Mainly that the competitive element was still there.

I loved Carragher as a player. And mostly like him as a pundit. But he clearly serves the Sky agenda on this, intentionally or otherwise. And that agenda was embarrassingly apparent tonight. 

7 minutes ago, J-V said:

Final if you class Monaco and Porto as little Clubs compared to the other Major ones.  That will never happen again in the CL.

Well something similar could still happen as there will be five non-founding member spaces each year (not good, should be more) which is barely getting a mention.

And your example, once in 30 years and before the likes of Abramovic and state-owned clubs.  Let's face it, it wasn't likely to happen again anyway unless the little clubs get bought out by mega billionaires, further distorting this precious pyramid.

Just to be clear I'm not particularly in favour of this, especially the number of clubs and format.  But I am against the near-hysterial overreaction to it by hypocrites and bandwagon jumpers.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think the structure of the game needs ripping up and starting again from scratch. 

If anything, fewer games. Smaller European competitions. Resurrect the domestic Cup competitions. Incentivise them. Make a cup win have more benefit than a top 4 finish. Give Champions League places to the title winner and maybe the runner up. And another one to the domestic cup winner. Bang the League Cup winner in the Europa or maybe a CL qualifier with a guaranteed Europa place. 

A lot of this comes from the creation of the Champions League. Some clubs rely on that money to compete. When there's other clubs who don't need the CL money and can then dominate when a team that does doesn't qualify for the CL, it's a natural reaction and progression that clubs with a big pulling power will look for other ways to remain competitive. 

The game is fucked up and needs to change. 

Thing is, of the major European leagues, only England has two domestic cup competitions. France recently ended their 'league cup' and as far as I know only scotland is similar to England in that respect.

In Europe, nation's FA Cup equivalent is a midweek competition in most countries, rounds played over 2 legs and more often than not, 2nd string teams. There's a reason the Cup Winners Cup was dropped by UEFA and it wasnt just to fit the Champions League in. It was seen as the weaker of the 3 European competitions albeit more prestigeous than the Fairs \ UEFA Cup.

England is just about catching up with Europe as far as marginalising the FA Cup is concerned.

3 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I suspect FSG wil back down, but they have a valid point.  Either we want a competitive team or we don't.  They can't afford to do that while Oman City and Chelski and P$G get to do what they like with the billions at their disposal. 

I would agree with them. If City and PSG weren't invited to the party. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Judge said:

99,99% of the football world is against this soul-less, greedy, capitalist project. 

The one exception: this forum. Fantastic.

I wouldn't say that this forum isn't against it?

It's more about the hypocrisy of certain people/organisation's presenting themselves as these white knights riding in to save our game, when they have been a big part of the problem for many years.   

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Really? I must have missed Fulham getting to the quarter final of the Champion’s League and pushing City all the way in the title race. The little clubs have been prioritising getting in the money leagues and fielding shit teams in cups for years. The little clubs are no different - they’re just trying to put their noses in different troughs.

Truth be told I don’t want this, but I’ve just about had my fill of being called a Scouse murderer, wall pusher, and cunts insinuating we killed our own fans at Hillsborough. Even by people sharing the same city. And even though we’re the first to supply other club’s food bank collections when they need it. So if it was pushed through and these fuckers withered and died, I’d have little sympathy. And I’ll be fucked if I’m going to be lectured to by hypocritical twats like Sky and Gary Neville.

This.