You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

Just now, Colonel Kurtz said:

Gary Neville paused when ranting about Abramovich, paused and picked his words very carefully when it came to describing him. The Sky libel lawyer can breathe again. 

If anyone deserves a umbrella to the leg....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Saw someone describing Spurs’ inclusion in this as being like Bananaman being called up to The Avengers. 

They’re among the top ten most valuable clubs in the world, so obviously they’re in it. 

If it was about sporting merit they wouldn’t be in it I guess. 

Guest Alex_K
1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

They’re among the top ten most valuable clubs in the world, so obviously they’re in it. 

If it was about sporting merit they wouldn’t be in it I guess. 

This is also at the source of why this is happening. Because the Premier League has managed to beef the value of mediocre clubs like Spurs way above even those like Inter, Milan & Atletico. Many of the old European giants need this to get onto an equal revenue footing with the big English clubs.

Watching Sky puppets crow about greed undoing the game is like entering some sick bizzaro upside-down world.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Just that he doesn't know all the details but he stands by what he said in 2019. Wants football to be competitive etc. 

That means Citeh et al need their spending curbing right? If only there was some kind of financial plan to bring them in line. You know a bit of fair play for all teams.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Just that he doesn't know all the details but he stands by what he said in 2019. Wants football to be competitive etc. 

The telling thing for me was when he said Liverpool is more than the club (he meant owners you could see he was choosing his words) it's about the fans they make the club.

Guest Alex_K
6 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

What did he say? 

He effectively said that people are dreaming if they don't think UEFA/FIFA are driven by greed with their constant desire to enlarge competitions and play more games even when figures in the game like Klopp resist. I think he spoke well: he didn't castigate the idea. Said that competitiveness needs to be maintained but also that yes, the management of the game has to change track from where its been headed.

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

This is also at the source of why this is happening. Because the Premier League has managed to beef the value of mediocre clubs like Spurs way above even those like Inter, Milan & Atletico. Many of the old European giants need this to get onto an equal revenue footing with the big English clubs.

Watching Sky puppets crow about greed undoing the game is like entering some sick bizzaro upside-down world.

Not even club's spurs size. Before they were relegated last season and when fans were allowed in stadium, I read Bournemouth had more income than one of the Milan clubs having a stadium that only housed 12,000 or so fans.

Guest Alex_K
Just now, dockers_strike said:

Not even club's spurs size. Before they were relegated last season and when fans were allowed in stadium, I read Bournemouth had more income than one of the Milan clubs having a stadium that only housed 12,000 or so fans.

Yup. The biggest pigs at this trough have been, and continue to be, the middle-English sporting non-entities and Sky/media companies who have grown fat and plump from the prestige of the leading sides. Fuck them all.

2 minutes ago, waddy78 said:

The telling thing for me was when he said Liverpool is more than the club (he meant owners you could see he was choosing his words) it's about the fans they make the club.

It is to him, and to many of us. The problem is that to >80% of our so called global fan base it’s a different story. Which makes the business case pretty straight forward.