You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

50 minutes ago, Moo said:

But I'm not sure why people are saying the PL will suddenly be rendered meaningless?

Just basic economics - a winner-takes-all market is being created on steroids. I suspect a rulebook written by venture capitalists and oligarchs won't favour the English game.

If the Premier League sponsorship got slashed which it will say by 80% then why would the big six turn up and play?. For the love of English football, don't think so. In fact it is in their economic interests to see those outside weakened. I don't see how the national leagues and European footy can allow them to coexist. They have to go after them now and stop the new league in its infancy or suffer a slow death. So they are left with no option but to ban us or massively handicap the leavers. The new league then use this as a wedge between supporters, blaming UEFA and the FA and just play their reserve players. You basically end up with Liverpool not participating in the English league. To me that is no longer Liverpool football club. 

Gary Neville has got some front. His Salford City team are basically buying their way through the lower divisions courtesy of the intervention of a billionaire in Peter Lim. 

Of course he’s dead against this. His employers Sky Sports won’t be the broadcasters and their “product” will be affected. Meanwhile Salford City won’t be coining it in to quite the extent once they eventually, inevitably, reach the Premier League. 

My main issue with the new league is that a permanent presence will effectively render domestic performance meaningless. If there’s no stakes come the end of the season then why would we be watching the games? 

37 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Can someone that read that Athletic article sum it up please.

One senior source at PSG warned that European football “cannot only be for the super-rich.”

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'm struggling to find a way past all the noise on this at the moment, but I do share many of the concerns expressed.

But I'm not sure why people are saying the PL will suddenly be rendered meaningless?

So it makes the PL less meaningful for say three or four of these six clubs, different ones each season, from a certain point onwards? Just trying to understand. 

I think that changes the PL, I don't think it destroys it.  Theoretically it could make it more competitive and you would still have teams fighting relegation and presumably fighting for other European places.

It would destroy the CL though and I wonder if they are hoping to get UEFA on board with this so it becomes a(nother) re-branded European Cup, but with the club's having a bigger say and bigger share of the rewards.

Maybe just maybe this is the catalyst for proper equitable change - where clubs greed actually finally sets in motion proper resistance from fans etc and forces game and all the greedy, selfish pricks including the likes of sky sports and the PL and of course the clubs with their noses in the troughs to listen, and listen properly to fans.

Maybe just maybe good will come from this - reform will happen (not this ESL lark but proper reform of the game and way it is now) and the game will get back some of the soul it has sold in increasing amounts for last 30 years....maybe a few will realise they are about to reap what they sow and change, maybe a few will realise they are about to lose a lot and change....maybe a few will realise that what they were doing was not sustianable or right and change.

Then again with the power, greed and money first mentality that pollutes the game and everything associated with how it is run, i very much doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Jockey said:

If you throw all 6 clubs out of the PL - in 10 years, there will be another 6 who want more money - and they'll be owned by owners looking to Europe to make more money. 

No no no mate - all the other clubs are running business for the benefit of their fans and community. Honest! Look at West Ham - honest to goodness working class owners like Karen Brady only want what is best for the fans and the game.

I personally think it's all a terrible idea, but to see any pundit / journalist associated with BT shouting loudest this morning. I wonder why that is? Nothing to do with BT existing just because of the Champions League.

7 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Gary Neville has got some front. His Salford City team are basically buying their way through the lower divisions courtesy of the intervention of a billionaire in Peter Lim. 

Of course he’s dead against this. His employers Sky Sports won’t be the broadcasters and their “product” will be affected. Meanwhile Salford City won’t be coining it in to quite the extent once they eventually, inevitably, reach the Premier League. 

My main issue with the new league is that a permanent presence will effectively render domestic performance meaningless. If there’s no stakes come the end of the season then why would we be watching the games? 

Your last point, surely that would only apply to a handful more clubs than it does now.  There would still be PL relegation (and promotion to), and other European places to play for??

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Maybe just maybe this is the catalyst for proper equitable change - where clubs greed actually finally sets in motion proper resistance from fans etc and forces game and all the greedy, selfish pricks including the likes of sky sports and the PL and of course the clubs with their noses in the troughs to listen, and listen properly to fans.

Maybe just maybe good will come from this - reform will happen (not this ESL lark but proper reform of the game and way it is now) and the game will get back some of the soul it has sold in increasing amounts for last 30 years.

Then again with the power, greed and money first mentality that pollutes the game and everything associated with how it is run, i very much doubt it.

Leeds was the warning - that was when action should have been taken by the authorities, but they let the club almost go out of business through greed and avarice. Chelsea would have followed them if Abramovich was in a different mood! Then United being taken over the Glazers, and then us - one of the biggest clubs in the world almost going out of business (that was all a big laugh by those who are angry at us this morning). Nothing changed - they welcomed City's new owners - and didn't blink at all that cheating. 

Fans in general are cunts. The fact that City are seen as more ethical than us, is laughable. But they are, it was all a big laugh last year when they tried to steal the league from us. 

7 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Almost as if he was slipped another 200k by his employer to back up their current stance. Wonder what he'd say if PSG did announce they were on board?

3 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Leeds was the warning - that was when action should have been taken by the authorities, but they let the club almost go out of business through greed and avarice. Chelsea would have followed them if Abramovich was in a different mood! Then United being taken over the Glazers, and then us - one of the biggest clubs in the world almost going out of business (that was all a big laugh by those who are angry at us this morning). Nothing changed - they welcomed City's new owners - and didn't blink at all that cheating. 

Fans in general are cunts. The fact that City are seen as more ethical than us, is laughable. But they are, it was all a big laugh last year when they tried to steal the league from us. 

Yeah - tribalism really blinkers people as well.

What next then? I can see these cunts trying to move the club just like they move clubs in America. Bin off Anfield and have them play around the world in this super league. Home games in America, Asia, Middle East ect. 

I can just see the wheels Turing in Henry's head. After all why constrain yourself to one little stadium in a city when there's a big world out there. Its not like the local fans can't be replaced. 

The day LFC died

19/04/21

Just imagine for years we've had dickheads defend these cunts with the "They saved the club" shouts

Tom Hicks must be pissing himself with laughter this morning. 

1 minute ago, Leyton388 said:

What next then? I can see these cunts trying to move the club just like they move clubs in America. Bin off Anfield and have them play around the world in this super league. Home games in America, Asia, Middle East ect. 

I can just see the wheels Turing in Henry's head. After all why constrain yourself to one little stadium in a city when there's a big world out there. Its not like the local fans can't be replaced. 

The day LFC died

19/04/21

Just imagine for years we've had dickheads defend these cunts with the "They saved the club" shouts

Tom Hicks must be pissing himself with laughter this morning. 

Oh behave for heavens sake.

2 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

but it's true, all records begin in 92, the league was reinvented.

Everyone up in arms over this but happy to have a league were Man City win it most years

A trophy called the Champions league yet Champions aren't allowed in

G Nevile goes on about how bad this is for Football yet he doesn't mind taking Lim's money in interest free loans does he? paying £300k for a non league signing from Aberdeen, how's that fair for the rest of the league, it's just a lower level man city but yet he is mr moralistic on this?

What was his "peoples club" shite about?

That's because Gary Neville was, is and always will be a cunt 

4 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

The day LFC died

19/04/21

Tom Hocks must be pissing himself with laughter this morning. 

I suspect if they go through with this they will need a new stadium, in a nice safe City. The question is whether they continue calling themselves Liverpool? 

Or whether this is posturing. 

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

To try and win the league or cup. It was a more level playing field.

Yep money wasn't the driving factor, the glory of winning a trophy was all that mattered pre Premiership and CL.

I'm old, FA Cup rounds on a Saturday were the biggest single day events of the season.

2 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

All these players happy to drop their wage so normal people can get a ticket for the match?

I don't see a problem with the wages. Why should the players drop their wages? Why can't the club do it? Where do you draw the line exactly? 

All this talk of greed and self interest is a bit rich. You'd think it was invented last night. Not a few months back when KdB was signing a new contract for £300k a week - (yes, that's 10 times the average ANNUAL wage, per WEEK) or reports  of Pogba agitating allegedly for £500k a week only a few days ago. How many footballers took a pay cut when their clubs were facing massive losses and whilst the rest of the population were being made redundant or put on reduced wages? Or £15 to watch a shitty match on tv? Or the self-interest of those clubs threatened with relegation last season who wanted to null and avoid?

Glass houses getting shattered left right and centre out there. 

I'm all for a sensible rational debate, but the hypocrisy and double standards are ......... unsurprisingly predictable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Pack what in? Football should be on free to air TV, there shouldn't be as much money in the game as there is. We're only at this point because of what Sky started in 1993. 

Blaming him for Sky taking over in 1993, whats he supposed to do? Quit football after coing through the academy because more money is getting pimped into it? Rick Parry was a main driving force behind the sky takeover and formation of the Premier League and he ran our club for years. Neville is spot on with his argument. Of course he will want to keep his job, he's a human being with mouths to feed.