You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

.Im pretty sure Jurgen was appraised of these developments including Project Re Start. He'd have left by now if all this was unknown to him and he wasnt on board with it.

I didn't infer he wasn't in the know. He's a football manager not an administrator who wears his heart on his sleeve. Hopefully the club send out one of the faceless suits to answer any questions about this new lust for greed. 

UEFA's executive committee has reportedly unanimously voted through the new 36 team Champions League to start in 2024.

Under the new format, the current group phase will be scrapped, with the so-called Swiss system seeing each club playing 10 group matches instead of six in one league table.

The number of qualifiers will also be expanded from 32 to 36, with space for two 'wild card' entries.

They will be reserved for clubs with the highest UEFA co-efficient who have not qualified for the competition through their league position.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

UEFA's executive committee has reportedly unanimously voted through the new 36 team Champions League to start in 2024.

Under the new format, the current group phase will be scrapped, with the so-called Swiss system seeing each club playing 10 group matches instead of six in one league table.

The number of qualifiers will also be expanded from 32 to 36, with space for two 'wild card' entries.

They will be reserved for clubs with the highest UEFA co-efficient who have not qualified for the competition through their league position.

Probably too late

18 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Hasnt that been driven by the owner of Juventus who didn't like the fact that little Atalanta got into the CL. Also Milan were still asking for a spot in the CL a few years back because they had won it 7 times yet were finishing outside the European spots a couple of seasons on the run. 

I am sure it has, I just used Spain as an easy example, both teams are virtually guaranteed to finish top 2, obviously some teams can break that dominance but them finishing outside the top 4 ? Virtually impossible. The same in Italy, but obviously teams can have bad seasons. 

I am not sure what year the CL was introduced, but I would imagine it was purely to make money and help keep the Big European clubs in the competition. 

Easier to qualify

More games guaranteed

Failure in the group and you still potentially get games in the UEFA cup and a way back into the next CL. 

Bigger clubs going into the latter stages will increase sponsorship, which in turn generates more money. This will have been great for both UEFA and the clubs. 

the CL was always about generating more money for UEFA and the bigger clubs, this is just the natural net step. UEFA are planning to expand to do the same and are probably pissed off because they have been bypassed, not about the competition itself. 

I am not sure which game first UEFA wanting to generate more money or the clubs threatening to form their own league but it has been building up over many years. 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I agree with almost all of that but mentioning a Tory government helping in a dispute over greed is like handing control of your chicken coop to Freddie Fox and family. They dont give a shit and would be happy to allow something which matches their vision of society go ahead.

I actually was thinking about this scenario this week even before the announcement and reckon the EFL should forget about the PL and just have a three tier system and charge viewers say a fiver or tenner and let them watch any of 60 odd games on a saturday or sunday afternoon and use the proceeds to build themselves up again. The football would be a bit shit to begin with but it would be entertaining and get better quickly.

Re: the Gov't... yeah, it's probably hoping for too much, but if they fronted up, I'd be on board with punishing these six (twelve) clubs with every tool available. 

On the EFL, there's a certain sense in it. Depends on the impact on attendances though. I don't think Entertainment has been the problem. There are goals & controversy in most divisions at all standards.  

14 minutes ago, dave u said:

Because greed, capitalism, chronyism and the rich looking after themselves and shitting on everyone else is just not on, right Boris?

The Saudis are supposed to have leaned on the Government who are now leaning on the Prem to approve their purchase of Newcastle. Another oil state joining the Corinthian League. 

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the final straw for some of the ESL clubs. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Yep, I'm defo doing nothing at this point.

If this happens, then unless we're in a title race next season the games are going to be dead rubbers if Euro qualification isn't on the line. The club and players aren't going to care about finishing 2nd or 10th as all eyes will be on whatever is happening in the new Euro league.

Fuck paying the best part of a grand to watch a load of friendly games.

I say friendly because of how we approach them. There won't be anything friendly about how other teams play against us and the other five. It'll be a bloodbath every week as everyone is going to be so resentful.

And rightly so. A closed shop of self-entitled, selfish teams in a European competition and we’ll be longing for the days when Everton tried to end the careers of just two of our players.

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The level of apathy on here from some is.... mind-boggling.

I'm against the idea, as I said earlier on this thread. At the same time I'm not going to jump on the outrage train and rant on about this latest development being about greed destroying the values of the game when, like everyone else on here, I've been following football where states can buy into nothing clubs and dominate leagues (and increasingly Europe), where players can earn more in a week than the majority of their fans earn in a decade (a fucking lifetime outside of the developed world), where fans of PL clubs would rather finish 4th than win the FA Cup, where games are scheduled for silly O'clock to satisfy broadcasters with not a fuck given for travelling fans. 

Greed destroyed the values of the game years ago. 

• Upvote 7

We currently play in a league where it’s ok for hedge funds and murderous oil states to own teams, it’s ok for gambling companies to advertise in, a league that thinks a fraction of Diogo Jota’s sleeve being offside is cause for ruining a game. A league where multiple teams tried to take advantage of a deadly pandemic. We’re self serving greedy cunts but the games been fucked and getting more so for the last 30 years. I simply don’t care enough to be outraged.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

My respect for Gary Neville is at its highest 

Mine isn't, as much as I agree with his general points on this.

Firstly, he started digging out people on the streets of Liverpool yesterday, as if our owners are from West Derby. 

Secondly, he works for a company who started all of this back in 1993 so, you know....

• Upvote 2

Yep. The greed angle has been around for ages. Let's remind ourselves that we support a club that charges us for the privilege of having a negligible chance of buying a ticket for our home games. Not charges us just for the ticket, but for the opportunity to buy a ticket. 

The greed ship has already sailed off into the horizon. 

4 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I think a lot are in shock, what should they do?

We should do what we do best. Organise, and act. Look at what we did to H&G. We can do that again.

Assuming fans are allowed back in August, we walk out. Or don't turn up. We protest and force change. 

We don't shrug our shoulders and say "oh well, best to move with the times".

• Upvote 1

I am sure Sky are gutted because they may no longer have "the richest game in football" on their schedule. 

This game being a play off between two teams who were not good enough to win automatic promotion into the Premier League. It is however the rishest game due to the bonus of Premier League and relegation parachute payments are included. I can see where their outrage about it all being about money comes from