You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

Regardless of the joy many on here are expressing at the hypocritical outrage by the likes of Sky, Gary Neville, the Premier League, etc, this is the death knell for top level football and us a club.

No relegation, invitations for jabroni clubs like Spurs and serial failures like Milan, no more European Cup, a closed cartel soley for the purpose of making even more obscene amounts of money.

People can justify it however they want but if it goes through, I want no more to do with Liverpool FC or top level football in general. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah this is dowden who essentially said wealthy clubs should bail out the whole football pyramid while his colleagues awarded themselves or friends of friends big fat covid contracts. He can get to fuck with his opinion.

He has no principled opinions and is merely opening his gob to appear to support the popular view that this is a bad thing for English football . I suspect Boris Johnson’s knowledge of the structure of European football would fit easily onto the back of a postage stamp.

3 minutes ago, Em City said:

Regardless of the joy many on here are expressing at the hypocritical outrage by the likes of Sky, Gary Neville, the Premier League, etc, this is the death knell for top level football and us a club.

No relegation, invitations for jabroni clubs like Spurs and serial failures like Milan, no more European Cup, a closed cartel soley for the purpose of making even more obscene amounts of money.

People can justify it however they want but if it goes through, I want no more to do with Liverpool FC or top level football in general. 

Totally agree.

I cant get my head around the enormity of it.

The current sponsorship deals for actual tournaments as well as individual clubs would have been based on the exposure of the Premier League and Champions League.

The Championship play off "richest game in football" becomes fairly meaningless. Parachute payments go out the window for those relegated.

TV Deals no longer getting the product they paid for- havent Amazon just spent billions getting the rights for more and more Premiership games in the coming seasons?   

I'm done with FSG, want those cunts out of our club asap. This is a fucking disgrace.

They are trying to turn us into a franchise of the Super League rather than a football club with deep roots in the local area. They need to fuck right off and we need to fight this with everything we have.

• Upvote 3

The no relegation is a non topic for me, as I stated in my previous, I see the expansion of the CL as a way of delaying the ESL and effectively bring in no relegation/guaranteed qualification every year. 

That was how UEFA devised the system so the Real Madrid and Barcelona would be in the CL every year, not only league inners. The same for the big leagues in Europe, virtually guaranteed entry into the premier European competition every year. 

What stopped this in England ? Apart from us being shite, it was money. Chelsea and Man City bought their way into the top four, so FFP was introduced to once again mean the old guard were going to qualify every year. 

FFP failed, so the old guard decided to take control themselves. Despite how poor we have been this year and with the money clubs we are still very close to qualifying this year. Without the money clubs we would be guaranteed. 

This may not be what people want, I think we already play too many games in Europe and would prefer the CL to be purely knock out but what do UEFA/CLUBS care about fans, but it makes perfectly logical sense from people who run the club point of view  

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I'm done with FSG, want those cunts out of our club asap. This is a fucking disgrace.

They are trying to turn us into a franchise of the Super League rather than a football club with deep roots in the local area. They need to fuck right off and we need to fight this with everything we have.

I agree they can fuck off, but they aren't the only ones pushing this, and if its happening I'd rather we were part of it.

Otherwise it's going to be a couple of decades down the line and we'll turn bitter about how the evil clubs have created a monopoly on the game and our only notable achievements are being a local club for local people, and born not manufactured etc. 

16 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Whether its bollocks, not sure, but reports each club will be given £3.5billion?

If thats the case then money will definitely talk 

I think it is £3.5bn to be shared amongst the founding members. So as it stands it is shared between 12 clubs. So £291.6m approximately just for signing up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

The no relegation is a non topic for me, as I stated in my previous, I see the expansion of the CL as a way of delaying the ESL and effectively bring in no relegation/guaranteed qualification every year. 

That was how UEFA devised the system so the Real Madrid and Barcelona would be in the CL every year, not only league inners. The same for the big leagues in Europe, virtually guaranteed entry into the premier European competition every year. 

What stopped this in England ? Apart from us being shite, it was money. Chelsea and Man City bought their way into the top four, so FFP was introduced to once again mean the old guard were going to qualify every year. 

FFP failed, so the old guard decided to take control themselves. Despite how poor we have been this year and with the money clubs we are still very close to qualifying this year. Without the money clubs we would be guaranteed. 

This may not be what people want, I think we already play too many games in Europe and would prefer the CL to be purely knock out but what do UEFA/CLUBS care about fans, but it makes perfectly logical sense from people who run the club point of view  

Hasnt that been driven by the owner of Juventus who didn't like the fact that little Atalanta got into the CL. Also Milan were still asking for a spot in the CL a few years back because they had won it 7 times yet were finishing outside the European spots a couple of seasons on the run. 

5 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I agree they can fuck off, but they aren't the only ones pushing this, and if its happening I'd rather we were part of it.

Otherwise it's going to be a couple of decades down the line and we'll turn bitter about how the evil clubs have created a monopoly on the game and our only notable achievements are being a local club for local people, and born not manufactured etc. 

Nah, this isn't comparable to 1993 when we got left behind. This fundamentally changes everything.

1993 was a re-brand, this is a re-structure. League games mean nothing.

If it goes ahead, i'm done.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I'm struggling with this - I've been fairly supportive of them, been reading a lot of criticism on here and elsewhere which I have thought was nonsense. But whilst I tend to agree with those above who are laughing at the hypocrisy of the situation and the greed -  today I am more fearful and angry at the changes. To remove the club from the City and have its roots as nothing more than a brand is not logical. Do they think we are going to be 'welcoming' to those 'future fans' when game time comes around? There will literally be a City of football fans feeling angry and helpless at their club dismissing their legacy and watching as the City is inundated with fans from all over the globe. That isn't going to end well. As supporters it doesn't matter where you come from - but, they won't be supporters they'll be usurpers. 

But - this is the American model of Franchise. I am struggling to see a way out - and I am struggling to see how this can end with us being allowed to continue playing in the league if they insist on going ahead with this move. 

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Nah, this isn't comparable to 1993 when we got left behind. This fundamentally changes everything.

1993 was a re-brand, this is a re-structure. League games mean nothing.

If it goes ahead, i'm done.

Exactly, I don't get how people don't see the difference. If this was a rebellion of all clubs that normally play in the CL in order to create a new CL not fully controlled by the UEFA but by the clubs, that would be comparable to the PL. This is like PL top 6 breaking away and forming their own (closed) league.

I believe that their long term goal is more than a European Super League. I think it will be a World Super League with teams from North and South America, China India, Australia, Korea, Japan etc. They might try and turn it into a two division franchise with relegation and promotion or have a European section and a rest of world section with the top 4-8 in each section then playing each other to be world champion.

Not a chance, they don't try and have franchises in China, India, the US etc and they can get a few of the old South American royalty to add some sentimentality. 

Could be wrong what these horrible bastards are planning in the long term but one basic issue for the "package" is there is bound to be a lot of dead rubber games if there aren't promotion and relegation or play offs etc...

Just now, rubble-rouser said:

FSG would be negligent not to go along with this if everyone else is.

Shit situation isn't it. I don't want it but don't want to be left out either. On the one hand the thought of playing European clubs every week sounds good but the match going fan is going to be screwed. It all sounds very soulless. 

10 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Spare a thought for Klopp. A man who truly bought into Liverpool and Dortmunds history and relationship with the base and rallied against excess now has to conduct an interview where the club haven't fronted up. 

.Im pretty sure Jurgen was appraised of these developments including Project Re Start. He'd have left by now if all this was unknown to him and he wasnt on board with it.