You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

It is different. What people don't realize this is only step one, which will devalue national leagues and European competitions and natural step two would be completely breaking away, after the super league is expanded, as a closed competition.

It’s not even step one. Step one was the Premier League and all that came with it, step two rebranding the European Cup, step three expanding it to include runners-up, step four killing the Cup Winners Cup and expanding the CL further to include third and fourth placed clubs etc, etc…

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Anyway the important difference between the Premier League and this is that at least the Premier League had promotion and relegation. Once you're in this ESL it's guaranteed cash for your club forever and no chance of anyone outside of it getting your place instead.

Yes, I am struck by the inevitability of this, but this leaves me uncomfortable. Creating different tiers of European football will ruin it.

Feels like someone has thought - lets get all the most viewed teams in a league together and reap the rewards of TV cash. Why play the likes of Dinamo Bucharest when you can earn far more cash playing Barcelona?

It's the next stage of football tv capitalism.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Would be like Formula 1 kicking out Mercedes and Hamilton. Not going to happen.

And Ferrari at the same time. It could happen but it would be an act of self-destruction. The broadcasters are not going to pay billions to screen Norwich vs Burley as the highlight of their seasons broadcasting.

4 minutes ago, M_B said:

Yes, I am struck by the inevitability of this, but this leaves me uncomfortable. Creating different tiers of European football will ruin it.

Feels like someone has thought - lets get all the most viewed teams in a league together and reap the rewards of TV cash. Why play the likes of Dinamo Bucharest when you can earn far more cash playing Barcelona?

It's the next stage of football tv capitalism.

Given the way UEFA completely devalued their own UEFA Cup / Europa League by making it nothing more than a gateway to the big competition, maybe the new competition will offer an invitation to the next season’s ESL for its winners.

29 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

City will just find creative ways around whatever regulations are put in place. They'll pay people off the books, get Etihad to sponsor a player's shoelaces for £450m, stuff like that. And if the other clubs try and kick them out they'll tie them up in legal wrangling for years.

Chelsea will continue to operate their loan army, probably even expand it, and that's to the detriment of everyone involved as well.

PSG turning it down is probably a good thing for the ESL because they'd be worse than either.

I reckon the old money clubs have let the fox into the henhouse by inviting City in particular.

I don't think most clubs will care who wins the new super league, as long as they are getting a guaranteed slice of a bigger cake. 

I'm not in favour of this Superleague for two reasons: primarily the mooted permanence of it, and, to a lesser degree the financial impact it could have on other clubs in the football pyramid (I'll admit there's a slight 'cutting my nose to spite my face' aspect to my thinking here). But, fuck me, there's a load of sanctimonious, hypocritical bollocks being spouted against the idea, as well as a lot of naïve, rose-tinted thinking behind what exists now and in the past.

In any case, I very much doubt anything will come of it. this is just another shot across the bows from the 'bigger' clubs who want the slice of the pie that they think their pull deserves.

Just now, A_S said:

Oddly enough, it could be the catalyst for them both to join the English football pyramid!

They can join whatever alternative to the Prem the ESL clubs join if they are kicked out of the existing Prem. 

This has been well thought through by the clubs despite what shepherd, birt, samuel say.

They're the top draw clubs in each of their national leagues and in the main, European pedigree. They have the financial backing in place.

National leagues can threaten to expell them. Sure, that's a good plan, not! You're going to devalue your national league. oppo fans may be united in their opposition for a while but then they'll have to find other clubs to unload their bile on. Good luck everton trying to make burnley your bette noir.

Expell the clubs and that's going to make them set up their league virtually the day after. As it is, there's wiggle room for negotiations with the founding clubs although reading between the lines, it looks like the clubs are now determined to rest control, for this league at least, away from UEFA and FIFA.

Ive said many times Im surprised the top European clubs do not put a stop to FIFA's wreckless use of the club's players and filling the calender with meaningless internationals. Well maybe this is the start of it?

Some say football is dead. That's their opinion and they are entitled to it. But the same thing can be said about football every year since wolves first started playing mid week friendlies with European clubs. It evolves and this is further evolution.

As for shepherd and his comments about Russian bots, well, yes,. Funny how all the journos and media are singing the same anti tune. You'd be forgiven for thinking there was some conspiracy against the founder clubs.

I wonder how many of samuel, birt, shepherd, and the rest will be the first to turn down match reporting of these games when the go ahead? Not doubt they'd all say they were instructed to do so by their employers.

• Upvote 2

At the time of the Big Picture row, there were talks with Parry about the Big Picture clubs joining the EFL if they left the Prem. That would have a funny side if it happened - the remaining  Prem clubs would be desperate to be relegated and nobody would want to be promoted. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Leyton388 said:

The club is finished. Resiging from the ECA means there's no way back now. This is gong to happen and I assume it will start next season with clubs resigning from the ECA.

Not sure it will happen next season unless UEFA carries through it's threat to expel the clubs from it's competition. The clubs say it will start as soon as practical. The ECA isnt something that stops clubs playing in any competition.

56 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It is different. What people don't realize this is only step one, which will devalue national leagues and European competitions and natural step two would be completely breaking away, after the super league is expanded, as a closed competition.

Liverpool have taken the first stage to no longer being a club that plays in the English league as we know it. I'm surprised people haven't cottoned on to this.

I think peoples rightful disdain of Uefa and the FA is blinding them to the obvious. One will cannibalise the other. If the national league's and Uefa are serious they will have to punish the 12 with unprecedented punishments and look to destroy them or get destroyed. The longer they leave it the stronger the 12 will be and pick off other teams waiting in the wings. 

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Anyone comfortable handing over cash for a ST this week? I’m sitting tight.

Yep, I'm defo doing nothing at this point.

If this happens, then unless we're in a title race next season the games are going to be dead rubbers if Euro qualification isn't on the line. The club and players aren't going to care about finishing 2nd or 10th as all eyes will be on whatever is happening in the new Euro league.

Fuck paying the best part of a grand to watch a load of friendly games.

I say friendly because of how we approach them. There won't be anything friendly about how other teams play against us and the other five. It'll be a bloodbath every week as everyone is going to be so resentful.

I think this was always the logical step that was going to happen once UEFA expanded the European Cup. Every expansion was done to delay the Super League. Easier for teams to qualify, more European games guaranteed every season etc. 

I am also in agreement about FFP, the old clubs are happy to use their status and history, knowing they can generate more income and keep themselves ahead of the curve but when anyone state can come in and outspend everyone without control then they are always going to kick off. FFP was introduced to prevent this, it wasn't enforced so this for me became inevitable. 

Having said all of the above doesn't mean I support the ESL but I can see the clubs logic. UEFA are going to extend the CL, again to delay the ESL, but it seems not enough. 

I would argue most Liverpool fans are opposed to the continual expansion of the CL and games, despite Istanbul, but to me this ESL is just a different way of doing it. 

However, listening to UEFA, Premier League, FA, ex players, BBC/SKY/BT pundits calling out concern for fans is the same as hearing Tories showing concern for poor people, and they can fuck themselves as well. 

I just watched an 8 minute piece on BBC, from MOTD last night;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56796582

This could have been recorded anytime in the last 20 years. Talking about the joy of playing in the F.A. Cup and how important fans are. 

All Semis at Wembley, can't get public transport home due to late kick off. All about the fans. 

Weird and wonderful kick off times, only about 40% of tickets available, all about the fans. 

All the people in Government now calling for fan ownership, nothing to do with populism, are the same shower of cunts who are opposed to water nationalisation because that is not a necessity. Cunts 

• Upvote 10