You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

5 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Where are the players walking to? 

Money isn't the be all. Robbo for one will want to play for Scotland. He could go back to Celtic.

The Brazilian lads won't forgo playing for Brazil. 

I would say there will be a good lot of players who will want nothing to do with it, across the clubs. 

5 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Where are the players walking to? 

Money isn't the be all. Robbo for one will want to play for Scotland. He could go back to Celtic.

I would say there will be a good lot of players who will want nothing to do with it, across the clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Money isn't the be all.

I’d like to think you are right about this. The fact is though, there’s no chance the players are getting banned from International Football if this happens.

I think, for example, the sponsors of the next World Cup might have something to say about their investment suddenly being devalued by the non appearance of the large majority of superstar players. 

In the end, the money will talk. I’m not saying that’s right, I’m really not. Just that I think this is how it will play out in reality. 

I've been searching this thread looking for an explanation as to how or when spurs became a top 6 side

They've only won 2 titles, the last of which was 60 years ago

The same goes for shiity and chelski, when did they became a top 6 side

Before they got their blood money, they had only won 1 & 2 titles respectively

If it wasn't for the blood money, they'd be yo yo team like WBA, who have 1 title to their name

Leeds, for example have 3 titles and at least 1 of them is a premier league title, same as Blackburn

Then there's the Ev & Villa who have won more titles than shiity and chelski

If you're going to do a super league, at least involve the teams with extensive pedigree, not only in their home league but in Europe also such as Ajax, ahead of the new money mongrel teams like shiity and chelski

Also, if this league were to proceed, I could see it becoming pretty boring pretty quickly within 20 years, so the next level is to make it a World Super League, involving teams from South America

This I wouldn't mind, as I could make quite a holiday out of it

I'd travel from Melbourne to Buenos Aries to watch the Pool play Boca Juniors, then go to Patagonia for a week before the next game day fixture between Flamengo v Barca, before finishing my holiday in Machu Picchu prior to heading back to Melbourne

9 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Can’t see Jurgen happy with it either.

BBC is all over it this morning, even showing Neville’s rant on Sky.

3 minutes ago, redhawk616 said:

I've been searching this thread looking for an explanation as to how or when spurs became a top 6 side

They've only won 2 titles, the last of which was 60 years ago

The same goes for shiity and chelski, when did they became a top 6 side

Before they got their blood money, they had only won 1 & 2 titles respectively

If it wasn't for the blood money, they'd be yo yo team like WBA, who have 1 title to their name

Leeds, for example have 3 titles and at least 1 of them is a premier league title, same as Blackburn

Then there's the Ev & Villa who have won more titles than shiity and chelski

If you're going to do a super league, at least involve the teams with extensive pedigree, not only in their home league but in Europe also such as Ajax, ahead of the new money mongrel teams like shiity and chelski

Also, if this league were to proceed, I could see it becoming pretty boring pretty quickly within 20 years, so the next level is to make it a World Super League, involving teams from South America

This I wouldn't mind, as I could make quite a holiday out of it

I'd travel from Melbourne to Buenos Aries to watch the Pool play Boca Juniors, then go to Patagonia for a week before the next game day fixture between Flamengo v Barca, before finishing my holiday in Machu Picchu prior to heading back to Melbourne

redhawk616 sponsored by Qatar Airlines.

That official statement read like a piss take, this is the footballing equivalent of the founding fathers and the Americans are here to liberate us. Even sending it out as late as they did was a message. We're working on our time and not yours. 

Personally I still think this will be all sorted. The 12 (15?) clubs will get automatic admission to the CL and UEFA will need to take a smaller slice of the revenues. 

For us fans who go every week, well there's a 2nd season ticket you need - while that would have been almost needed under the new regulations, while a spot wasn't guaranteed , it's harder to make it a formal ST. I bet ticker prices will be higher per game too, so PL 19 games at £750-800, who would bet we won't get charged the same again for the 10 game European version? 

It will also make league season interesting in how they develop - for all my life time (even pre-top 4 CL), part of what kept the league going through the season was fighting for European places... If there's nothing to fight for, once you can't win the league, what will that mean for the domestic season? There's going to be a lot of dead rubbers, not a lot for TV to get excited about and half a season closer to friendlies than football games. I feel a PL revamp coming on too in a similar model to this. 

Football has evolved constantly through my life, especially since mass TV coverage from the 90s. As a consequence the needs of the TV companies pushes the direction of the game where the paying fan used to. It doesn't mean it will kill the game, it's hard to believe it will do more damage than VAR, which by some way is the single biggest problem TV has brought to the game. But equally, I don't see how this enhances the product, players need to play less and not more. 

All the people supporting this, you're supporting something that is just designed to make wealthy mean wealthier. It doesn't mean the product is any better, a bit like 3D cinema. Salah doesn't get better at football because John Henry has a $5bn asset and not a $3bn one. Equally, all these pricks at uefa and the PL, well that's all about money too isn't it? They're just upset the clubs at the top want to share less of the pie and it'll leave them hungry. 

Bottom line here is the game is fucked now. It's not a sport any more and it hasn't been one for some time. It's just entertainment. The outcome is mattering less and less and is morphing into some type of WWE. The Super League isn't the catalyst for that though, the game has gone already. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I’d be less concerned if I had any reason to think this was part of a well analyzed and considered plan to topple Uefa. However, as with almost all former «plans» FSG have been involved with in relation to Liverpool, I fear they have underestimated/ completely misunderstood why «soccer» is so attractive in Europe, and they will probably have to perfom an embarrassing walk of shame back to status quo at some point. The covid-induced economic crisis has been worse for the Italian and Spanish leagues, so they have the most to gain and least to lose. The various American groupings, without a clear understanding of supporter culture, have simply followed their instinct and gone for «the money». It would be scandalous if they haven’t already analyzed this initiative from a public relations aspect, but I fear the worst...

3 minutes ago, suzy said:

Can’t see Jurgen happy with it either.

BBC is all over it this morning, even showing Neville’s rant on Sky.

He would have seen his contract out but not a hope he will want a part of this.

Wouldn't be so sure of nice guy Ole or the wholesome Catalonian separatist Pep.

• Upvote 1

I don’t agree with the proposal - its fundamentally flawed from a sporting perspective. But the amount of bullshit and hypocrisy across the media - and pundits -this morning is staggering. ‘Not in the interests of fans’ I’ve just heard. Like £70 tickets are? Or being asked to travel to the opposite end of the country on a Monday night? Or VAR in its current format? Or having to have multiple expensive tv subscriptions to (legally) follow your team? Or watching the erosion of fair competition through massive sustained financial doping and cheating? ‘Not in the interests of fans’ my arse. That horse bolted 30 years ago.

• Upvote 9

After giving it some thought I won't be recognising a team as Liverpool that doesn't play in the English league. Liverpool plays in the English league if it doesn't then how the fuck is it still Liverpool.

Hopefully the hedgefund men backed by JP Morgan can be stopped using the name Liverpool and be known as the club former known as Liverpool. It won't happen but it should. 

1 minute ago, Denny Crane said:

After giving it some thought I won't be recognising a team as Liverpool that doesn't play in the English league. Liverpool plays in the English league if it doesn't then how the fuck is it still Liverpool.

Hopefully the hedgefund men backed by JP Morgan can be stopped using the name Liverpool and be known as the club former known as Liverpool. It won't happen but it should. 

It will play in the league won't it? It'll just be playing in a new midweek European league and not the champions league, which is run by the den of moral fortitude and altruism that is uefa.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, redhawk616 said:

I don't think Qatar fly to South America from Melbourne

It would have to be with Air New Zealand, Aerolinas Agrentina or LATAM

Your carbon footprint will be intetesting redhawk!

A statement from your lawyer (same lawyer as FSG) would read:

Redhawk616 cares deeply about the environment. He invests a lot of his money in grassroots projects that ensure that indigenous populations have a viable employment option and thanks to his hard work, poaching is down across over twenty countries. Alongside Troy Deeney, he has campaigned for a fairer football landscape and season ticket prices for fans at the Founding Father clubs start at a reasonable 3000 pound a year. As you can imagine this requires a lot of travel on carbon friendly airlines.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It will play in the league won't it? It'll just be playing in a new midweek European league and not the champions league, which is run by the den of moral fortitude and altruism that is uefa.

For years we’ve all been complaining about what a set of twats UEFA are. 

Now the clubs are doing their own thing, the clubs are a set of twats?

I dunno, I don’t like the idea of it. I still think it’ll be sorted within the existing CL umbrella. But the more I read of it and the more I read some of the reasonings, I’m becoming less against it.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

So everyone is a winner the teams that finishes from 7th to 10th most likely will entervthe CL and 11th to 13th The Europa?

There's been some hypocritical shite being pumped out by ex-players and the media over this but top of the pile is that fat slug Martin Samuel who comes out with this gem in his column. Which is all the more ironic seeing as he has championed the most plastic club of them all in Man City, 

To be fair he could be describing City

A plastic competition, watched by plastic fans, of plastic clubs. Forget the past, forget the Busby Babes, or the treble, forget Istanbul, or the doubles. These might as well be new clubs, in a new league, and newly moulded, in plastic. 

2 minutes ago, Stickman said:

There's been some hypocritical shite being pumped out by ex-players and the media over this but top of the pile is that fat slug Martin Samuel who comes out with this gem in his column. Which is all the more ironic seeing as he has championed the most plastic club of them all in Man City, 

To be fair he could be describing City

A plastic competition, watched by plastic fans, of plastic clubs. Forget the past, forget the Busby Babes, or the treble, forget Istanbul, or the doubles. These might as well be new clubs, in a new league, and newly moulded, in plastic. 

You mean he's not describing Citeh? 

20 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Well well. 

Yeah let's see how they get that passed legally, forcing private owned businesses to sell up to 49% to fans. Not a chance that happens. 

It's a shit idea but the moral stuff is a fucking joke. UEFA are just pissed off their power will dwindle and they won't be getting a slice of the pie. 

The same sets of fans and clubs pissed off wanted to void the season last year if relegation wasn't taken off the table. 

If they got their wish and threw out the 6 clubs a few Premier league clubs would go bust in a couple of years. The amount of dross earning a fortune in this league because of the revenue brought in by them clubs would disappear overnight. 

It's shit, nobody wants it. 

And I still think there's a massive element of getting UEFA to reshape everything and a deal gets done. 

But the likes of Carra, Neville, Lineker and Sky/BT and Journos can stick their outrage up their arse as they'll are be bidding for rights, taking the cash to present it or covering it for the media if it happened

• Upvote 1